• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1991 744 Turbo (the Race Car)

Yea I know the exact moment it happened, 25psi, 6100+ rpm upshifting from 2nd to 3rd and it gave a little extra backfire after it shifted. Drove 25 miles home with it like that.

I wonder how long it has been 'bad' as I though I blew the HG last time at the track in Nov of 2011, so it has run for just over 3000 miles since I got back from the track (and swapping in the 200r4) so I guess it lasted another 3000 miles as it has been running a little odd since I got it running this Nov.

Go Volvo Go

Goal is for myself also to say I have an 11 sec car. Baby steps before I set the bar to high. Another reason is I want one more good dyno on lh and 1/4 mile pass as I want an 11 sec 350whp daily driven lh car, something that few to none here in the US have done.

Has anyone in the US done that? I think it's a great goal.

This is awesome Mike. If you ever need an extra hand I am right down the street, just give me a call/text ahead of time.

Mike, what front suspension setup and tire size are you running? Also, do you have a lot of driveshaft vibration going on with stock length torque rods?

Thanks.

Front end is poly bushings everywhere, diesel springs with 1.5 coils cut and worn out bilstein HD's. Wheels are 18x7.5 Borbet Type FS with a 42mm offset with 17mm spacers up front IIRC. Tires are 235/40-18. The front bumper has had the edges pushed outwith small bars to help the tires not look like they stick out too far, I can find a picture if wanted as it is a crude attempt to widen the front end bumper look to help aero.

No vibration that I know of from lowering, one of the rear wheels is bent semi bad and has a flat spot so that is the only vibration I have noticed as the new driveshaft does not seem to add any vibration. On take off I have zero vibration the rear end is lowered on unknown red springs and more bilstein HD's with 265/35-18 on 18x8.5 wheels with 10mm spacers I think. The rear subframe has been weld'ed with supports as seen above and had new bushings put in at the same time but I think they might be pushings out from all of the launches with slicks.

If I can find some dated picture of my cluster I could be sure on miles but since '09 I would guess at least 30k miles.

Update is taking head to shop today to get milled and some turbo valves thrown in and once it comes back start to reassemble. I also took apart my scrap 531 for the good springs that I will swap into another spare 530 I have here. Once it runs I have to get to the dyno and track before it gets hot out along with rumors of local tracks closing down.

After that I have to figure $ out as this year is shaping up to be a tough one.

If I can find some dated picture of my cluster I could be sure on miles but since '09 I would guess at least 30k miles.

Update is taking head to shop today to get milled and some turbo valves thrown in and once it comes back start to reassemble. I also took apart my scrap 531 for the good springs that I will swap into another spare 530 I have here. Once it runs I have to get to the dyno and track before it gets hot out along with rumors of local tracks closing down.

After that I have to figure $ out as this year is shaping up to be a tough one.

Awesome man keep it going!
I'll keep a close eye on this thread.

Mike

Can you post some pics of your head, please? :-P

And sorry for my noobism, but what's so special with the 200R4 gearbox? I don't know it...
The head going in is just a bone stock head, nothing special

The 200r4 is an older gm transmission, while being a semi similar 4 SPD auto setup it is a little larger and can hold a heck of a lot more power than an aw71. Cheaper and easier to rebuild and get parts for.

why not throw in the 531 head onto the b230?

You must of forgotten that this 531 has 9+ cracks in the head and leaks coolant Into #3 overnight through these cracks. Thank you very much Volvo as they are semi common on certain year auto heads. Unless you want to give me your 531 to put on.

Back