• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1991 744 Turbo (the Race Car)

The head going in is just a bone stock head, nothing special

The 200r4 is an older gm transmission, while being a semi similar 4 SPD auto setup it is a little larger and can hold a heck of a lot more power than an aw71. Cheaper and easier to rebuild and get parts for.

You must of forgotten that this 531 has 9+ cracks in the head and leaks coolant Into #3 overnight through these cracks. Thank you very much Volvo as they are semi common on certain year auto heads. Unless you want to give me your 531 to put on.

Last time I checked Kris had my big valve 531 up for sale for cheap...would be a nice upgrade with the bigger exhaust and was completely rebuilt. New guides and seats.

Head is done but the MS offered to install new valve stem seals included in the cost along with reseat the intake valves so Monday I drop off seals and maybe next week I get head back to get on

Head is back, Going to see about cleaning up the block tomorrow and then maybe get the head back in place in the next day or so after. From there I need to take my time and Reshim the cam properly and get all of the little stuff reinstalled. I will take my time and shoot for next week (at the latest) to get it running again as Sat Afternoon I am semi busy along with Sunday is SuperBowl.

Head is on motor ..... Cam is shimmed.... And I forgot the cam seal... So off comes the timing belt doh

I will get a few pics up later today if I find time. Tomorrow is the other big time waster of getting all of the exhaust stuff back on along with intake. Lots of little nuts and bolts and bits.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WtMlB-BEMso" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Woooo Boooost!!

Head is on motor ..... Cam is shimmed.... And I forgot the cam seal... So off comes the timing belt doh

I will get a few pics up later today if I find time. Tomorrow is the other big time waster of getting all of the exhaust stuff back on along with intake. Lots of little nuts and bolts and bits.

I can't wait to hear it again! Please post pics asap!

Got the block cleaned as much as i want to put out effort

744head_0001.JPG

Head bolted up and waiting for the fun of shimming the cam, only took like 4 times to finally get it right as my old shims were all way big compared to what was needed.
744head_0002.JPG

Clean
744head_0003.JPG

Timed and cam bolted in place
744head_0007.JPG

No real new update here as I put on the Thermostat housing and just tossed the vc on to see if it looked bad enough that I wanted to repaint or not
744head_0008.JPG

Made zero progress today, I did pick up the steel I needed to redo some of my oil return line along with the steel needed to bend new trans cooler lines but I might not get to the later just yet as I semi need to rush getting this car fixed as the BMW is now leaking coolant so I need this running so I can get that one in the garage and fixed.

sucks that you are in need of money and have no time, I am sure at least 10 people on this board would buy a downpipe or exhaust from you

Got the intake bolted on along with oil return line made (no pics)

744head_0009.JPG

I know about the downpipes and exhausts, my plan is to get this car running and the BMW and from there I am trying to find time to build some before summer gets here as people will want to buy around then and I will want to get them done before it gets hot out here.

And of course my luck the turbo doesn't fit back on. So now I have to either cut up and reweld manifold or build a new manifold, I could use another turbo but a manifold is a lot cheaper than a turbo.

Back