• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Squeaky clutch in drive

Fa182

Stage 1
97 945T w/ M90

My clutch always make a faint squeaky sound when idling or in drive. It sounds like a high pitched belt squeak or so and is not very loud. I just noticed it today when I had the radio off.
Thing is when I press on the clutch pedal, just a tiny bit like half an inch, the noise goes away.

I had my RMS replaced 4 weeks ago and asked the guy to look at the clutch too, he said it's perfectly fine. Also the clutch master cylinder was squeaking a little a few weeks ago but this completely went away. It only happened when it was very hot around here (95-100F), but it's significantly colder now, so that might be it...?

Anyway, any ideas what this could be? Throw out bearing?

I didn't install anything, the shop did.

The clutch is working fine if it helps, just like it did before I brought it in to replace the RMS.

Here's a quick video. I press on the clutch pedal just slightly (to the point where I feel resistance - like half an inch) repeatedly and quickly at the beginning. It sounds more like a chirping sound. Maybe this helps?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nv2hEixgKD4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv2hEixgKD4

Throwout bearing? Another question: Does the M90 use a pilot bearing at the rear of the crankshaft? After some reading it appears that the cure for the dual mass flywheels is a swap to a single mass flywheel.

Last edited:
Sorry for the dumb question but like I said, I don't know a lot about the clutch, if it's the TO bearing, is this something that requires immediate attention or am I okay to drive like that? There is no different feel to the clutch and the bite point is all the same than before the RMS job.

Possible spots for a clutch squeak to occur:
-pedal pivot in pedal box under dash
-pedal to master cyl attachment under dash
-slave cyl push rod to clutch fork
-clutch fork to pivot ball
-clutch fork to throw out bearing
-throw out bearing to pressure plate spring fingers
-springs inside of pressure plate

Does the sound only occur when the engine is running?
Can you make it squeak when the engine is off?

Last edited:
Possible spots for a clutch squeak to occur:
-pedal pivot in pedal box under dash
-pedal to master cyl attachment under dash
-slave cyl push rod to clutch fork
-clutch fork to pivot ball
-clutch fork to throw out bearing
-throw out bearing to pressure plate spring fingers
-springs inside of pressure plate

Does the sound only occur when the engine is running?
Can you make it squeak when the engine is off?

Thanks for the suggestions. The sound only occurs when the engine is running. No squeaking with engine off.

Replaced the clutch master cylinder yesterday because it was making weird noises and I thought I'll change it before it completely fails (had that happen in my old car and had to drive 200km back home without a clutch, wasn't the nicest experience).

But it did not stop the squeaking after all, I can still make the squeak go away when lightly pressing on the pedal, so I guess I'll give the shop a call next week to change the TO bearing.

Thanks, I'll have the shop look at it again.

Weirdly enough, while driving the car today in the afternoon the squeak was completely gone. I guess I'll just see if it comes back in the next few days.

Back