• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 drivers door lock cylinder removal

Thanks Hiperfauto. Where can I find a tutorial on how to post images? I've just tried with photos.google and with postimage.cc and had no luck with either using the insert image icon in the header here.

Redwood Chair, I've seen locksets with keys for sale on Ebay, but I just bought this car at a city auction without a key. I've also seen full sets with the complete ignition lock, but I assume removing the entire ignition lock is fairly complicated, and the full set of keys including trunk lock are about $150. And, if I went that route, I would still have the challenge of getting into the trunk.

Google Photos doesn't make it easy like some other image hosting sites that provide a direct link to the image. I had to click on the image to open it full size, then right click to 'Copy image address'.

I see you also tried postimage. They do provide a direct link when you click 'Share'.

A good dealership will be able cut a key from the VIN if you can prove ownership and the locks haven't already been swapped.

That's assuming the Volvo key code is still correct.

The whole reason I'm at the locksmith with my door lock is that the key Volvo cut for me off of the VIN number didn't work. My understanding from reading the internet is that Volvo's key code database for 240/740/940 is hit or miss. Mine is apparently one of the ones that's a miss.

The whole reason I'm at the locksmith with my door lock is that the key Volvo cut for me off of the VIN number didn't work. My understanding from reading the internet is that Volvo's key code database for 240/740/940 is hit or miss. Mine is apparently one of the ones that's a miss.

Marvelous3, were you successful in getting the key cut? I understand that the locksmith forces the key to see if it leaves impressions of each pin and then files down to match that impression, but I suppose it may be a rough approximation and not the smoothest fit.

The locksmith that Testpoint talked to asked if it was possible to disassemble the lock to read the order of the pins inside. Does anyone know if that is possible without destroying the outer chrome ring that shows outside when the door is mounted?

I would have thought the disassembly occurs through the back side of the lock instead, like in the first photo of my lock, above.

One thought for my endeavor - I could disassemble the passenger side lock in order to read the pins and get a good fit for the drivers side door and the ignition. Then, if needed, I could replace the passenger side lock with another lock from another car, because how many times will I be unlocking the car from the passenger side, particularly if I eventually install an electric fob to unlock the doors.

If you take your time you may be able to remove the trim ring from the lock without destroying it.

Marvelous3, were you successful in getting the key cut? I understand that the locksmith forces the key to see if it leaves impressions of each pin and then files down to match that impression, but I suppose it may be a rough approximation and not the smoothest fit.

The locksmith that Testpoint talked to asked if it was possible to disassemble the lock to read the order of the pins inside. Does anyone know if that is possible without destroying the outer chrome ring that shows outside when the door is mounted?

I would have thought the disassembly occurs through the back side of the lock instead, like in the first photo of my lock, above.

One thought for my endeavor - I could disassemble the passenger side lock in order to read the pins and get a good fit for the drivers side door and the ignition. Then, if needed, I could replace the passenger side lock with another lock from another car, because how many times will I be unlocking the car from the passenger side, particularly if I eventually install an electric fob to unlock the doors.

Yep, I picked up the new keys yesterday. Works like a charm.

When I compare them to the key that Volvo cut me they're actually pretty close. It looks like Volvo's machine just didn't cut the grooves deep enough/wide enough. I can probably dremel the grooves out some and have that key work too.

^Sounds like you might want to talk to them and say that their key cutting equipment isn't doing as good a job as it should. Show them the locksmith-made key and the one they made. Seems like the old Neiman hand punch key cutter works better, provided the person using it doesn't get the code backward, like I mentioned in your other thread.

Anyway, I ran into the same problem at one of the hardware stores, trying to get an extra key made for the 740. Their machine didn't cut the key deep enough on one side.

Had a recent situation.

Got dealer code, but locksmith said it came up as a Toyota or something, not close to my failed orig key. I called dealer and fortunately same parts guy was still in, and gave me the actual key cut numbers, for a perfect key, for only $20 (and $10 gas for buddy who gave me ride) :-D

You're way over thinking this, just go to the dealer and have a key cut.

I just got the new key from the DARCARS Volvo dealer in Rockville, MD that got the key made from Volvo USA and... it does not work.

I tried it on the passenger door lock, the ignition, and the trunk and it is difficult to insert in all 3 of those locks. The key does not turn at all in those 3 locks.

Then I tried it on the drivers door lock that I had already removed from the door and it turns in both directions with some difficulty. That has me stumped.

It would make no sense that the previous owner changed all the locks except the driver's door lock. It's more likely that the driver's door lock is worn.

So should I try grinding down the new key a bit, like with a dremel or a wire brush on grinder?

I'm ready to try a locksmith, but it looks like I will need to pull the passenger's door lock so a key can be cut that works in that door. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I just got the new key from the DARCARS Volvo dealer in Rockville, MD that got the key made from Volvo USA and... it does not work.

I tried it on the passenger door lock, the ignition, and the trunk and it is difficult to insert in all 3 of those locks. The key does not turn at all in those 3 locks.

Then I tried it on the drivers door lock that I had already removed from the door and it turns in both directions with some difficulty. That has me stumped.

It would make no sense that the previous owner changed all the locks except the driver's door lock. It's more likely that the driver's door lock is worn.

So should I try grinding down the new key a bit, like with a dremel or a wire brush on grinder?

I'm ready to try a locksmith, but it looks like I will need to pull the passenger's door lock so a key can be cut that works in that door. Any suggestions are appreciated.

My Volvo dealer did a spare parts warranty on it and had a second key made. They can file that warranty claim with Volvo for the first key no problem. If the second key comes in then you're stuck with it whether it works or not.

In my particular case, it was just a matter of the key machine not cutting the grooves in the key deep enough. I ended up putting my locksmith made key into our key machine at work and set it to trace to cut the grooves deep enough and it works perfectly now. So yours might be like mine and just not cut keep enough or it could be totally off like others have experienced. I was able to know because I had the locksmith make me some keys.

I'd have Volvo do a spare parts warranty and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then I'd take a file to the key and file it down some more. You won't be getting a refund from Volvo - probably, we give refunds at my store if the key still doesn't work a second time but we have a key machine in house so we're only out like 8 dollars for the key blank - since keys are usually not returnable even if there's a problem.

I'd have Volvo do a spare parts warranty and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then I'd take a file to the key and file it down some more. You won't be getting a refund from Volvo - probably, we give refunds at my store if the key still doesn't work a second time but we have a key machine in house so we're only out like 8 dollars for the key blank - since keys are usually not returnable even if there's a problem.

Thanks Marvelous3. Tomorrow I am going to pull the passenger side lock and send that lock, the driver's lock, the key from the dealer and a couple of blank keys to the locksmith that you used in Georgia (thanks for the contact info). I explained to him that the dealer key works only in the driver's lock, so it may be close to working in the other door and the ignition if he files it down. I will let everyone know how this goes - it will probably take a week to send it and get it back. I've had this Volvo for more than a month now and haven't been able to drive it yet. Stay tuned.

Back