• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

s60R R brake upgrade=massive brake squeal. Thoughts?

noz-e8tr

My 242 was upgraded to s60r brakes using STSmachining's adapters and since I have had massive brake squeal. Mostly at light to moderate braking. Under hard braking it stops. I'm not talking a little squeal here. Ear drum bleeding in stereo from both front brakes. I find myself waiting till the last minute to brake so I can brake hard to keep it quieter.

Before everyone starts throwing ideas, let my tell you what I've done.

3 completely different sets of pads. Different compounds and different brands. Made no noticeable difference.

I have chamfered the edge of all the brake pads with a grinder ...No difference.

Rotors, I originally had cross drilled and slotted. Changed them to OEM plain rotors, no noticeable difference.

I'm open to suggestion here guys. Has anyone had similar results?

Stupid question, but have you greased up everything? Brake Squeal is usually caused by a lack of lubrication. Also, the s60r actually had a campaign about brake squeal. I can't remember if they changed pads and rotors, or just pads.

Brake noise can be very tough to cure. The best first step is to use lots of lube. Even on the pad anywhere the caliper touches. Try new hardware also and make sure it's properly Iinstalled. Wire brush the brake hardware surfaces and maybe even lube under there too.

What pads? Squeel is normal with aggressive compounds.

Also, stock Brembos groan normally when driving as well.

There is a shim available for behind the pad. I believe this is the campaign mentioned above. Can try those out.

Odd though. I am running hawk HP+ on my v70r with no shims and don't have that bad of squeel. The usual aggressive compounds whining when stopping with mild braking force.

Got a video?

Pad shims. Should come with the oem pads. Not sure if available separately. I usually just re-use the old shims.

I have those stoptech rotos on my wagon. Purely anecdotal but I've experienced no squealing with them.

My rear pads (brembo pads + brembo 330 no drilled rotors) stopped squealing after the dyno session where wheels got 15 times up to 240 km/h ... So i assume it was the brake dust or something.

Plus LOCTITEpaste does miracles

Just installed s60r fronts on my 245. Im using stock oem rotors, akebono ceramic pads that came with shims on them and that red lube stuff that semi dries. Zero squeal or chatter. I went heavy on the lube

Any update on this? Mine started to squeal now thats it cold here and the brakes aren't getting up to temperature with mostly highway driving right now.

Any update on this? Mine started to squeal now thats it cold here and the brakes aren't getting up to temperature with mostly highway driving right now.

Grease alone won't work. Make sure you use the shims too. Really hot temps or really cold temps, I get minor squeal (even with shims) but most passengers don't even notice it.

Shims, man shims....

Grease alone won't work. Make sure you use the shims too. Really hot temps or really cold temps, I get minor squeal (even with shims) but most passengers don't even notice it.

Shims, man shims....

I have shims that came with the pads. The squeal is pretty bad. When my fianc? starts questing noises....

Mine are terrible, almost un driveable. Are the Cadillac ones this bad?

Same Pad is used. Makes me wonder. I'll try a true caliper piston grease instead over pistons with the semi lastic squeak product thats on there now.

Back