• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

limited slip differential on a non turbo 1992 Volvo 240

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbre

What are my options for installing a LSD Differential on my 92 Volvo sedan. My main concern is to retard tire spin in wet and snowy conditions. What can I find locally (Minneapolis, MN), and what type of service will it require to make sure its operating properly and how long do they usually last?

Thanks

TheMadChigga said:
Volvo LSD sux.

mine only locks up til 25mph.

Then it's probably the Eaton unit used in the late model rear ends. If it's a LSD, it will lock up at any speed and it's the clutch type so it should be fairly smooth.

I second 80GTs recommendation. I've been running my Trac Tec for about 42k miles now. Doesn't need any thing special for car but high quality gear oil. I use Redline in it. The worse the weather the more fun my car is. An expensive but very worth while upgrade.

Happy rolling,

dlot said:
I second 80GTs recommendation. I've been running my Trac Tec for about 42k miles now. Doesn't need any thing special for car but high quality gear oil. I use Redline in it. The worse the weather the more fun my car is. An expensive but very worth while upgrade.

Happy rolling,

Did you have the ring gear replaced when the truetrac was installed?

Timbre said:
What are my options for installing a LSD Differential on my 92 Volvo sedan. My main concern is to retard tire spin in wet and snowy conditions. What can I find locally (Minneapolis, MN), and what type of service will it require to make sure its operating properly and how long do they usually last?

Thanks

For you, the Volvo Eaton locker would work fine if you can find one. The Detroit TrueTrac is the best, but you will spend about $300 to have it installed after you spend the $350 (or so) to buy it.

towerymt said:
[quote:e3aa0d23aa="dlot"]I second 80GTs recommendation. I've been running my Trac Tec for about 42k miles now. Doesn't need any thing special for car but high quality gear oil. I use Redline in it. The worse the weather the more fun my car is. An expensive but very worth while upgrade.

Happy rolling,

Did you have the ring gear replaced when the truetrac was installed?[/quote:e3aa0d23aa]

No ring gear replacment is required for using the TrueTrac.

towerymt said:
[quote:ade46c110f="TheMadChigga"]Volvo LSD sux.

mine only locks up til 25mph.

Then it's probably the Eaton unit used in the late model rear ends. If it's a LSD, it will lock up at any speed and it's the clutch type so it should be fairly smooth.[/quote:ade46c110f]

I have had both the Volvo LSD (actually a Dana PowerLock if I remember correctly), and the TrueTrac in my car. The TrueTrac is by far the best unit. The clutches in the Dana unit actually cause both rear tires to fight with each other on corners, and you can corner much better with the TrueTrac.

Na, why get the ring gear replaced? It only had 248k miles on it. It was quiet and in good condition according to the shop that did the work. Just be aware of the extra cost of new ring gear bolts, shims, new pinion and carrier bearings. I also got new axle bearings and had them packed with Redline grease.

I just put a stock 1031 3.73 rear axle in my friends 83 flathood. In return he gave me the rear axle which has some type of BAD clutch pack LSD. Not sure what to do with the thing. :e-shrug: I'd much rather just get another Trac Tec. Probably cost three times the price of one to get that thing rebuilt. You shoulda heard the bad one clank...

Happy rolling,

PS: Don't forget to get a new tone ring if you have the electronic speedo and/or ABS.

745T+ said:
No ring gear replacment is required for using the TrueTrac.

Thanks. I was talking with Greg Wong recently about the TrueTrac, and he asked if I knew whether or not the ring gear needed to be replaced. I've already bought a TrueTrac, so it's just a matter of getting a 3.73 rear end to put it in now.

roundeler said:
Heh, I want it cheap and to do it myself though.

Well, I wouldn't advise that unless you've setup a ring and pinion before. Also you need a special case spreader tool just to remove and replace the diff. I do know one person here who says they did it themselves but that is the exception. Personally, I wouldn't take a chance after reading the procedure in the manual.

Good luck.

You dont really always need a spreader tool to drop the rear unless it's hella tight. But you will need a magnetic base dial indicator to set the backlash, some paint to diagnose and adjust the drive and coast side patterns and a lift helps alot. If that means greek to you.. I'd reccomend making a good friends with somebody who's got a buttload of tools and knowledge, or take it to a Jeep 4x4 shop.

dlot said:
I just put a stock 1031 3.73 rear axle in my friends 83 flathood. In return he gave me the rear axle which has some type of BAD clutch pack LSD. Not sure what to do with the thing. :e-shrug: I'd much rather just get another Trac Tec. Probably cost three times the price of one to get that thing rebuilt. You shoulda heard the bad one clank...

Happy rolling,

PS: Don't forget to get a new tone ring if you have the electronic speedo and/or ABS.

My Volvo LSD had gone bad when I changed to the TrueTrac. I had the TrueTrac installed in a different rear end of the same ratio, and did the axle change myself. After the swap, I took the Volvo LSD in for the 4X4 shop to look at. The cost of having the Volvo LSD rebuilt was within $100 of having another TrueTrac installed. That was easy an easy decision to make. The TrueTrac drives so much nicer.

Hold on a sec Michael, gotta defend my technical knowledge here: I was wondering if you have to buy a new tone ring, or if there is some reason why you can't use the old tone ring. I see people mentioning buying a new tone ring, but is the old one not removable?

The gears themselves should be fine to use again.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back