• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hackster's LSA / T56 2 door

Damn Sean, back at it again! Just read all 9 pages, really cool stuff going on here. Cant wait to see the rear end wrapped up! Really looking forward to hearing your opinion on the results. Thanks for sharing!

Well my beaters dont look like that, lol

Haha, they are my beaters. Its a term of endearment if you ask me. I also refer to them as ****ty old cars. :-P

Damn Sean, back at it again! Just read all 9 pages, really cool stuff going on here. Cant wait to see the rear end wrapped up! Really looking forward to hearing your opinion on the results. Thanks for sharing!

Dude, I was just asking Asher what you were up to. Life sure has its way of changing doesnt it? Thanks for the props, hope it turns out well and rails around the corners. Its a slow build for me, about to get a lot slower too. Hope you are doing awesome.

And now down to one "beater" period... Heard that the truck sold at Puyallup.

-J

Yes sir!! I need to work on a more simple lifestyle and narrowing my fleet a bit should help that out. I am also parting ways with the yellow dodge truck.

sorry to hear about your ****ter

Thanks man, its been horrible.

So I have always lived in pretty normal homes, all the homes we have owned have been from the 40's and 50's, things were simple and small. First home was 1080 and the second home was 1400 sq. feet. Both nice homes but nothing fancy by a long shot.

We bought this brand new craftsman style home out in the country and of course have the first flood of our lives.

We had a toilet flapper stick open and filled the septic tank closed the check valve and flooded our first floor in just 6 hours.

We have damage in 6 separate areas of the home. All of out hardwoods had to be removed and the home is drying out along with the garage and the crawl space.

We were forced to move out of our home Monday and no telling when we will be able to move back in.

Its pretty likely that we will need to stay out during the construction of the home too, no idea how long that will take yet, they dont even come out to look at it until Monday.

What it used to look like.

Current

I had no idea just how bad this would be when I woke up and found my shower pan full of water at 5 am.

I cannot believe that there is no interlock between the septic pump alarm and the well pump. I guarantee there will be moving forward.

Progress on everything has stopped. I need to get the car to be able to sit on its own weight and roll and I need some roller 5x4.5 wheels and tires.

Sorry for the lack of progress, this one is going to have to take a back seat until we get our living situation figured out.

Sean

Well, that just sucks. Glad that the water was NOT accompanied by the kind of stuff that often injures people. I've helped 2 friends over the years with the demolition of everything from 3' down after floods. It just plain sucks. Hopefully your insurance will cover the bulk of the cost.....and if there was anything you wanted different, well, now's the time.

Saw the truck at Byers/Wicked today. Sorry I missed you.
Updated my to do list for the Bertone. LOL.
Got home and had these waiting for me.
Time to clean the shop. :)
Sorry about the water issues, had a washer filling up a hallway and heading really close to the new floor I was putting down. I was lucky, my boy was in the front yard only feet away mowing and ran in to help clean up.
Good luck with all that and hope you are back at it before you know it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180731_150731209.jpg
    IMG_20180731_150731209.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 1,013
  • IMG_20180804_145551438_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180804_145551438_LL.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 999
Saw the truck at Byers/Wicked today. Sorry I missed you.
Updated my to do list for the Bertone. LOL.
Got home and had these waiting for me.
Time to clean the shop. :)
Sorry about the water issues, had a washer filling up a hallway and heading really close to the new floor I was putting down. I was lucky, my boy was in the front yard only feet away mowing and ran in to help clean up.
Good luck with all that and hope you are back at it before you know it.

Haha, that is awesome. Was great meeting you in person and chatting with you. Glad to see you got some parts on order and have something to mess with.

The truck was actually there with its new owner Ed Allen. He lives in Olympia so I am guessing that you will see it around a bunch more than before.

I sold the old girl on Friday. Sad to see it go, but the offer was right and I am again out of room for cars. I need to stop with these projects and just be like a normal guy with a couple of cars.

The house is a mess, its all dry now. I met with contractors and insurance agent this morning. Its going to be a long process to get it back together pre flood condition, but there isnt much we can do about it now. Probably going to be some time before the flooring even shows up so for now we get lawn chairs in our living room =)

Let me know if you need a hand with the pinion angle setup on the Bertone and I look forward to hopefully having my volvo there for 2019 to park next to you !!!!

Sean

Have had zero time or motivation to even go into the shop in weeks with the flood.

Managed to get out there for a few hours yesterday, my motivation is that the car may need to be moved in the coming months and it needs to roll, steer and stop.

Back out of the car again, final welding on the panhard bar bracket, clean and paint.

Cleaned and painted, ready to go back in.

Pulled all the links apart and got them all welded up and shot with some VHT wrinkle black, didnt turn out that well but will be fine for suspension parts that are going to get driven on.

Ran into a small hiccup on the panhard bar, it just barely touches the diff cover so going to try and put a small like 5 degree bend in it and get it to clear. This is with the heavy duty diff cover, clears the stocker just fine.

Taped up and undercoated above the rearend so its buttoned up when things go back together. Had custom lines made up for the rear of the car a few weeks ago. One of the best things about living here in Eugene is Pacific Rubber, they build their own DOT approved braided stainless brake lines on site. Best **** I have ever run across in all of my hose vendors anywhere.

Cleaned up all the hardware and have the rearend back under the car. Gotta make some adjustments on the panhard then should be able to button up most of the stuff under the backend of the car. Can get the fuel tank installed, run lines, install pump, install shocks and other misc stuff.

Maybe a roller in a week or so if I can find some more motivation.

Sean

Had a similar issue with IPD Panhard when I put the 8.8" diff in mine Sean -- I heated the area of almost no clearance and then "smushed" it a bit in the vice. I didn't want to alter the angle since things needed to line up on both ends with the angle the way it was. Seems to have worked just fine - no contact in 8 years or so.

Your 242 is looking great despite the setbacks. Sorry to hear about the flood & terrible damage to the house; hope that can get cleared up soon and you can get excited about the car project again.

How long are your rear coilovers?

These are what I ended up running. I wanted to get longer travel but getting it packaged in there with the low ride height I was shooting for just did not work. I have right at 5.5" of wheel travel.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...CCeS1i_THjpvxxJ3Ktgv7hrXh1GAFgbRoCzfIQAvD_BwE

Had a similar issue with IPD Panhard when I put the 8.8" diff in mine Sean -- I heated the area of almost no clearance and then "smushed" it a bit in the vice. I didn't want to alter the angle since things needed to line up on both ends with the angle the way it was. Seems to have worked just fine - no contact in 8 years or so.

I am lucky that I am not running bushings, the heim joints allowed me to make this setup work with a slight bend in the panhard bar.

Your 242 is looking great despite the setbacks. Sorry to hear about the flood & terrible damage to the house; hope that can get cleared up soon and you can get excited about the car project again.

Thanks man, The house stuff really sucks, its been two weeks and we have not had any progress other than tearing everything out and getting the house dry. I hope to get the rebuild started soon so we can get this behind us.

Your garage is all white. Do you wear smocks when you work out there?

No. Its kind of funny you say that. Some people are just dirty and messy. Do I get dirty yes, do I put my nasty dirty hands all over the walls, no. I see some shops that are super dark and dirty and I just dont know how you can work in there. Both my garages are white and well lit. Next one will be the same way too!!!

Managed to get the Panhard bar bent at a local shop that had a 1.5" die, we made it work since the degree on the bend is so small.

Stripped off the ****ty previous paint job and did it my normal way, Paint 3 heavy coats and put it in a storage tote with a hairdryer pointed in it. Perfect finish!!

Fits perfect. Have about 3/8" clearance all around the diff cover and about the same at the front of the tire.

Pretty happy with how this all turned out, its been a lot of work but should have good results. I am waiting for Brakes to show up, can run lines and finally get the fuel system mounted and finished up.

Now I can decide if I am going to puss out and just run 275's or if I am going to man up and run the 315's and flares.

Sean

Man that turned out nice!

Thanks man, It was your coilovers that gave me the idea. Thanks for posting it up to share.

Beautiful

Thanks

Flares from Pat? I seem to recall him making some sweet 242 bolt on flares that would look mean on your car.

I have chatted with him about them. They were just mocked up, and I believe they were 2002 fenders. I am thinking about some JDM Flares for now, get the car rolling and dial it in then building some steel ones after that.

Haha. Thank you.

Had a little bit of time to work on the car last night and a little again tonight. Got the upper shock spacers machined thanks to an awesome neighbor. Got all the washers on the hardware for the rearend and tightened everything all up.

Got the fuel tank all buttoned up and installed the weatherpack connector on the fuel pump wiring. And finally got the fuel tank installed, clips on the brake lines, built the last fuel line and tightened all the connections.

For the first time in months, feel like I am making some actual progress.

Got the helper springs installed also.

Fuel system is done with the exception of the vent line, have the parts, just need to install.

Going to keep trucking on the wiring this weekend and see if I can knock some **** out.

Anyone have any great hookups on 3 piece wheels? Likely going to do some step lip Work VSXX wheels. CCW's are a 10 week lead time =(

Sean

So I had to drop the tank to get the vent line hooked up, but it was pretty painless getting it out the second or third time......

Built the last remaining fuel line and have it done and tight.

So with that done I turned to doing the odds and ends, but first, I gave the garage a little clean up.

Started by sorting through the wiring on the drivers side, figuring out what was what, what needed to go to the passenger side since I am doing about 50% or a wire tuck.

I ended up pulling the wiring for the windshield washer squirters and level sensor back into the cab, I dont expect to be using them but wanted to keep in case they are ever needed so they are labeled and tied up under the dash.

Headlights, turn signals, side marker lights, and both of the electric fan wires run up the passenger inner fender well, everything got grommets and the same braided wire sleeving and p clipped to the inside of the fender bolts. It was a total pain the ass.

I had to come up with a solution for the messed up wiring for the lights and the ****ty factory volvo connectors. So I eliminated the connector, replaced all of the wiring and installed weatherpack connectors.

I also ditched the factory horns in favor of a donor horn from the van, it sounds awesome, its the rest of the wiring here, the horn got a tidy little bracket and mounts right behind the grille, factory plug on it too.

With the passenger side wrapped up for the most part, it was onto the drivers side, I got everything run out the factory rubber and laid it all out figuring out where my take outs needed to be and tidied it up as much as I possibly could. This is a time consuming process for me as I want it to be just right. All of the factory connectors came apart so glue style heat shrink could be installed. I think the finish product comes out well.

Here is what I ended up with on the drivers side, I believe I have one last wire to run, hot from battery to the distribution panel. Bracket was powdercoated, plastic got SEM Trim black out of a hot can to keep the spray pattern super fine and gives it a slight texture.

This is just about 100% wired and plumbed at this point. The only thing remaining is the power lead to the distibution panel and some braided sleeving on the starter signal wire.

I have a few loose ends to tie up on the interior, might need some pointers on a few connectors I dont recall where they go.

I need to run one wire back to the trunk for the fuel pump but I think that is about it for big wiring.

If I had wheels this bitch could hit the road in a few weeks.

Sean

Back