• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

engine swap volvo 240

John. Not every thread is a chance to sell some dude pistons.

I don't think that was his intention.

And even though this is a 2 year bump for a noob to ask a question, I will let it run out, rather then locking it.

So, my answer to "what's the easiest" is:

Get a whole donor car. That's the easiest.

What engine would be most reliable, powerful, and easiest to swap?

I hope to purchase a volvo 240 ASAP! Please let me know if you know of any two doors for sale.

Anyways... i would be engine swapping. I can't decide on a 2JZ, LS2 or an RB20.
What would you swap and why?

Of course, the LS is a decent swap - but I simply don't like them. It's an UGLY engine! Personal preference thing. Don't rule out a Ford small block. The low deck engines (289/302, for example) fit really well but the tall deck (351/5.8L) are a pretty tight fit. The SBF is a bit smaller than a Chevy and that simplifies the swap considerably. Either the Ford or the Chevy will make more HP than you can use and either will get your attention when depressing the loud pedal so it's kind of a toss-up. We're back to that personal preference thing again!

The Ford, when fitted with aluminum heads (relatively cheap) is just a bit heavier than the LS but not enough to notice. There are lots of cheap carb intakes for the Ford which can simplify the swap considerably though I DO like EFI.

JTR (Jags That Run) and other companies make installation manuals and some swap parts for either engine - use them! Folks THINK they're going to save money by making their own stuff but it's false economy. At the very least buy the manuals!

Dan

The LS based motors are easiest to swap because people like STSmachininginc.com make parts for it. Cheap, easy and reliable. There is a reason everyone swaps to those motors.

Back