• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 744tic, Greenhornet95's old car. Pic heavy.

thanks alot guys! at first i kept telling myself the scoop/vent was too large/long, but i guess it grows on you, i gotta tell ya, that turbo is L O U D! Now that the underhood liner is gone and theres a gaping hole in the hood!

lots of stuff is coming. well to me its lots, to some of the more active projects its not a WHOLE lot.

Got a line on the OEM spoiler im looking for, so hopefully i get that and get it painted and install it. Along with a few more underhood things for the time being and then i can focus on reinstalling the stereo system as well as a couple more gauges and im also going to go ahead and order cmunkee's poly/adjustable torque and panhard bars.

Sick dude. Reminds me of my car (though i have suspension but no engine mods, yet :ninja: ).

You should get a snow scoop, I bet it'd look baller on your car.

Keep up the good work!

yeah i've considered getting the whole se kit, but now that i think about it the skirts would probably scrape alot, annoyingly so. I'll probably get the rear skirt and the snow scoop if one pops up for the right price. thanks for the compliments.

okay i've changed my mind on the high spoiler, maybe if a lip pops up REAL cheap i'll jump on it, but no more image-related stuff for now.

3" v-band flanged test pipe and additional o2 bung were fabbed/installed a couple days ago, browntops were paid for last night, awaiting delivery, also awaiting delivery on a new tight-radius (basically 90 degree) silicone coupler for the TB, and a set of Aurora 8.5mm plug wires (the ones on there now arent burned up, but they DO say "volvo" and "bougicord" on them, so im thinking that it may be wise to just toss them in the "spares" pile. Also installed my 3rd brake light (finally) and washed the car! Considering trimming the rear fenders and cutting another 1/4 coil off the rear so the tops of the rear tires just barely sit in the fenders, thus reducing SOME of the rake it has.

Wideband will be ordered after the next paycheck, unfortunately i also must be spending 550 on a paintjob for my corrado's hood, which i found out yesterday the bodyshop hadnt even started on after 4 months of having it. YIKES. Last time i use them!

New pics.

These pics are from before the latest goings on under the hood (not good, but i'll explain in a minute).

halffront.jpg

rearquarter.jpg

frontquarter.jpg

Okay so the turbo is coming off again for some work. So 2 things popped into my head. 90+ manifold. And atp ultimate wastegate housing. They (the folks at atp) said that i wouldnt have to change my wastegate setup. Im pondering if its worth the trouble of fabbing an oil return. Probably.

Got the money together for the wideband i want to get, going to wait a few more days, get another paycheck in the bank and order my LM1. Also have the browntops sitting on my toolbox at work. They look really nice and shiny, even though they arent new. Also ordered a TRE 255 fuel pump and im going to eliminate the undercar pump altogether and install this in the tank, the "direct battery relayed" wiring for the pump(s) is already there.

So thats where im at now. Once all these parts are installed, along with everything already on there, im going to hope for 200whp, and i'll embarass myself at a local dyno just to see, i havent been to a dyno since i owned my civic si 5 years ago.

I'll take more pics of the parts when they come in the mail. Tho keep in mind the manifold and wastegate housing mods are still pending approval from my bank as im trying to pay off a credit card at the same time. eventually.

i've decided to either have the local "cheap" paint shop do a semi-gloss black repaint with bodywork (i just saw an 88 supra they painted. i have to say as long as its not metallic paint it looks pretty good, it was a standard red paint. single stage i would assume). or i have been reading about the 50 dollar DIY paint jobs. such as the roller method with the roll on system or borrowing a paint gun and hopefully some lucky person's garage! but either way, satin black with the se rear lip.

thanks for the praise.

i have purchased my 90+ manifold, i gotta find someone to port it/grind it. Might do it myself, i've been meaning to get a dremel of sorts, i have air tools, so maybe just the proper bit would work.

I am still waiting on the time to pull the stuff off the car at the shop. We were kinda busy today. Kid dropped the supra off to install aem uego setup and aem boost controller. thats the car that was painted. anyway though theres lots of stuff in the works. at least to me its alot. seeing as how i thought i was going to get to enjoy the car a little before she had to get parked in the shop for a few more weeks to a month.

I guess thats how it goes though, hell my corrado has been in a barn/shop/warehouse for the last 9 months. I see her every other week i guess.

Well pics will come soon for this once the parts start arriving. And i'll lay them all out and show you all. But I found out what my incessant smoking issue was, cylinder number 1 had super excessive taper at the top near the ring ridge, resulting in 40% leakdown on that cylinder when at ~TDC. I sourced a 99k-mile '94 B230FT from LKQ for a grand, shipped from Iowa or somewhere in that vicinity.

Also going on are the cleaned/freshened (again) T3 55 trim from tryingbe, a matched 90+ mani, browntops, LC1 wbo2, a couple of autometer cobalt gauges (boost/ECT), ipd's pillar pod, converting to TRE 255 in-tank and bypassing the main pump, ATPs ultimate internal wastegate, modifying the downpipe for the 3" v-band at the turbo.

Some parts are already installed such as the pump, i'll take a pic of the "assembly" ive come up with to connect the line to the check valve i took off the main pump. Its just a piece of 1/2" steel pipe welded to a nut with 10x1.0 threads, but it'll get the job done without a bunch of fittings strung together.

I confirmed the wideband powering up the other day, all the wiring is done for that. The old engine is out, theres a small pile of brackets and the oil pan going to the powdercoater monday, engine arrives sometime this week. Manifold needs to be portmatched.

ECT gauge was ordered today, that should be here this week and i can do the final install and wiring for the pillar assembly.

Also ordered a crap load of gaskets from FCP, going to get the oil pan and water pump gaskets from the dealer tomorrow.

Once the engine gets here i'll tear it down and reseal it all, install my IPD turbo cam and readjust the valves. I'd like to drop it all in as an assembly, instead of piece by piece. Havent decided on a color for the oil pan, might just make it the same blue as the valve cover and charge pipes.

Should be good for 200whp i'd say after i figure out a safe boost limit for the turbo via the lc1.

Like i said i'll take pics of the parts piles once its all laying out in front of me.

I also considered pulling the head and adding an mls gasket with arp studs and a "freshening" of the head, but i'd rather save those funds for when i can swap to 2.4 or ms and add a 531 head to the mix. Thats just not possible right now as the replacement of the engine was completely unexpected.

Several things will be coming up for sale soon. Although the engine itself i pulled out will have to be used as a core.

well the bores and pistons were shot so instead of taking a gamble on just getting another squirter bottom end i've resolved to have the stock block sleeved and i am ordering some mahle standard bore pistons/rings.

got the fuel system done today, she holds pressure and my browntops arent leaking, so thats good, i am now running the TRE 255 intank with 1/2" f.i. hose to the filter.

also got the LC1 hooked up, calibrated to ambient air, and working (as far as i can tell without sticking it in a running exhaust), as well as installed/wired my autometer cobalt boost/vac and coolant temp gauge (i opted for the full sweep electric gauge) and the IPD triple pillar.

a bunch of gaskets arrived today and the machine shop is going to start cleaning the block in prep for the sleeving. ordering the mahle's later on tonight.

machine shop said they'd charge 250-300 to port/polish the head, so i've got to mull that over. i dont know if its even necessary for my low power goals of ~225whp. Im basically shooting for as much power as i can get before having to upgrade past the browntops and the M46 transmission and the stock LH2.2 management.

weighing the options currently.

mainpumpbypass.jpg

theres the down and dirty part we made to take the place of the main pump under the car, given that its no longer necessary with a 255 in the tank. both pumps are for sale in the classifieds.

innovatecontroller.jpg

finally got myself a wideband! now i just need a running engine to stuff in there!

b230ftandporsche.jpg

theres my worn out b230ft that had 40% leakdown on at least ONE cylinder. dont mind the 356 in the background, it supposed to be picked up any day now.

autometergauges.jpg

couple autometer gauges going into the car, the coolant temp gauge in the cluster only works intermittently, and i decided it was better than a volt gauge.

well i ordered my headbolts, went with victor reinz as they are only 54/set and the dealer wanted 16 bucks a pop.

apparently according to FCP their mahle pistons are on nationwide backorder, and they will be for the forseeable future, so dealer pistons it is. 98/each with rings and wrist pins.

customer also wrecked his supra over the weekend so i may end up with a 7mgte in my posession soon with its accompanying 5 speed transmission and all necessary wiring and computers. i know its not a 1/2jz but who knows, maybe i'll enjoy my b230 for a bit more and swap over to that. 300whp reliably with plenty of headroom for more?

well i ordered my headbolts, went with victor reinz as they are only 54/set and the dealer wanted 16 bucks a pop.

apparently according to FCP their mahle pistons are on nationwide backorder, and they will be for the forseeable future, so dealer pistons it is. 98/each with rings and wrist pins.

customer also wrecked his supra over the weekend so i may end up with a 7mgte in my posession soon with its accompanying 5 speed transmission and all necessary wiring and computers. i know its not a 1/2jz but who knows, maybe i'll enjoy my b230 for a bit more and swap over to that. 300whp reliably with plenty of headroom for more?

7m's with minimal work are still good for some power. Of course, not "supra" 900RWHP style power but damn, they make 220chp at like 4psi

It really sux about the motor man. Kinda makes me werey about buying from the place I got it from...and all they sell is Volvo/Saab/Land Rover. My dad just bought a motor from them for a Land Rover, I might have to tell him to watch out on that. They were a bit eager to sell me that motor...even delivered it for free.

-Carlo

yeah like i said, im not going to swap it in.

at least not in the immediate future. i am going to continue to rebuild my squirter with OEM pistons and bearings. the 7m may or may not happen, the kid (he's pretty young) is getting another shell with a blown headgasket 7mgte engine in it and we are pulling all the 1jz stuff out of the wrecked car and dropping it in the shell. maybe. he has yet to even purchase said "shell".

7m's are notorious for popping gaskets/stretching bolts at anything above stock from what i've read. so the would have had to come off anyway.

if the kid does do this, i'll be getting the entire swap for FREE. thats everything. engine. transmission. wiring. sensors. ecu. turbo. all of it. if that happens i think i'll have to sell the corrado and go balls deep into a 350whp 7m volvo build. and sell the freshly rebuilt b230ft.

i love working here. i just got done working on a showroom fresh z32 in that green/yellow color. cant beat gettin 25 bucks an hour to mess with stuff like this and still have plenty of time to work on my own stuff.

well small update, turns out that FCP's stash of mahle's is depleted and on backorder. Volvo is calling me back on how long THEIR backorder is for pistons.

I called RSI and they are going to call me back on how long it would be before i could get a set of their waveguided pistons. I guess i got plenty of time to drop the head off for some light porting/polishing. Going to drop the head off today. I'd really like to install RSI's pistons but with my power goals for this engine is complete overkill. Sometimes overkill can be a good thing though, right?

scratch that, volvo just called and they are shipping the stockers from volvo in sweden. should be here next week sometime. then i can finally move forward.

on another note i pulled the engine wiring harness out and de-loomed it so i could inspect all the connectors and wiring. other than some corrosion on the terminals which i cleaned off (mainly at the injector resistor box connection) it all looks really good, and it should as there was a volvo part number tag at the connector on the passenger side, so its been replaced at some point, which explains why its so clean. I have been wanting to inspect it since reading about volvo's crappy wiring harness.

Last edited:
i've also decided to add the grooves to the cylinder head as described in the "groove theory" thread. free modification that seems to yield nothing but positive results. i have concluded that this will help the fact that i'm not using ET pistons and not altering my squish any.

Once i get the car back together i've gotta hook up a multimeter to my AMM wires and see how close i am to maxing out my AMM, a zener diode may be necessary, there has been a problem since i got the car regarding a complete "cutting out" when WOT'ing through 2nd gear and shifting into third the car will reach halfway through the gear then cut out if WOT'ing. Im interested to see what voltage the AMM is reading while this is happening. Cant wait to get the car back together! Pistons should be here this week and then the machine shop can finally start the work. They should already be cleaning up and doing some light port work on the head, they are also match-porting the intake and 90+ exhaust manifold (i was going to do it myself but the bits are quite pricey from snapon, i plan on porting the turbine housing myself and the oil passages per stealthfti's website, though).

Once the funds are in my account i'll be ordering ATP's ultimate wastegate, seems they have dropped from 200 to 168 apiece, i've also gotta order a SECOND one for my corrado's t3 super 60 since i cant seem to find the proper exhaust flange for the wastegate housing.

well our customer dropped off his 1jz supra and the 7m supra with supposedly 92k original miles is going to be here next week. i guess once we evaluate the overall condition of the 7m i'll make my decision as to whether or not i am going to swap it in.

on another note i've decided if im not going to swap the 7m i'll be converting to LH2.4 and getting some TLAO ecu/ezk chips. im going to break 200whp one way or the other in this thing. of course using the 7m engine, i'll be shooting for more like 275whp or so.

Back