• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jesse's '83 242 Turbo

TrueTrac from 3.31 into 3.91

The axle housing with 3.31 gears had a TrueTrac 411 differential from the previous owner, once that was verified the TrueTrac went into the housing with the 3.91 gears

original.jpg

original.jpg

RC 550cc injectors and ipd turbo cam - Sept. 2007

*typo Sept. 2005*

My understanding was the car had a VX cam when I bought it but at the time had no way of verifying. I bought an ipd turbo cam, rented a shim kit, and some low-impedance RC 550 cc/min injectors for volvo 740/940 green-top injector direct replacement

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Last edited:
poly bushings - Jan. 2006

poly bushings for front A-arms, adjustable torque rods with poly, panhard rod with poly

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
early Kaplhenke coilovers - March 2006

I got a set of coilovers from Ben with adjustable camber plates

H&R R25100250 springs, new set of Bilstein HDs, and 200lb Hypercoils in the back IIRC
The first set were 13" long, little too tall so I replaced them with the 11" ones. A duplicate pair of "balloons" made for bottom spring mounts

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Autometer Cobalt gauges

Autometer came out with the Cobalt series gauges with improved through-face illumination, the needle also lights up. I also got an XD-16 gauge from Innovate for the LC-1 wideband O2, it's really nice so long as you don't get stuck with Error 8...

large.jpg

large.jpg

SE 5.0 / fire on the dyno

Next major milestone was getting the car on the dyno at SE 5.0
(some of these are copies from others at SE 5.0, thanks for taking these)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

wait, why is the car on the lift?!

during the dyno run the oil pressure gauge capillary tube touched the hot exhaust pipe,
melted and spewed oil all over the exhaust pipe which soon caught fire.
Fire extinguishers work

The rear axle is a 3.73 with stock limited slip that I swapped in before going to SE 5.0, 3.73
nicer than 3.91 on the highway. The 3.91 with TrueTrac was shelved for a bit

Did get one dyno sheet. The tune was pretty rough and I had some glaring problems with the MS install
that weren't clear to me then. This was around 15psi iirc Thanks Kenny and Sam for all the help!
original.jpg

Last edited:
side exit exhaust Christmas '06

After seeing Doug's side exit on his red 242 build, it looked like some more ground clearance could be had since the 3" pipe on the car hit speed bumps and steep driveways. I bought a couple 90 bends and a 180 in 3" with some straight sections. Dad managed to move some of his restoration projects around the garage to get the 242 in. We did some fitting, made tack welds, more fitting etc. This pipe is still on the car today. We squeezed the end to square it off with the frame rails.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

WC T5 acquisition and gear swap June '07

WC T5 from an early '90s 4 cylinder mustang and swapped in a 1st gear 2.95:1 gearset. Took a while to get it in the car but finally got it in with a 1 piece driveshaft

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

JVAB H-beams and CP pistons Aug. '07

Started working on a B23F block, at the time the forged crankshaft sounded good. Goal for this was 8:1 compression. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with a B230F or FT block from late model

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:
Assembled B23F, turbo oil return

High stress doesn't quite describe the processor of drilling and tapping a diagonal hole into a B23F block for an oil return fitting

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

530 head on, turbo on - April '08

The new engine sat for a few months until the car could be down during the swap

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Engine swap May '08

Had the old engine out a while to take off turbo etc. (spare chain around oil fill cap, not used as a lift point)
large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Back