• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Andrew's 122 turbo project

:wiggle: Not sure what fixed it as I replaced the plugs, exhaust gaskets, turbo flange gasket, and cut a thicker .012" TB gasket but the noise is completely gone. My money would be on a warped TB flange.
So we'll nv'r know, but must have been one of those :cool:
My guess was exhaust side too

Congrats for finding the culprit - hopefully you will be on the road soon??

Hopefully! I'll have to swap turbine housings and hope everything bolts up and works. Then fix a few nagging issues.

What exhaust manifold are you using for the turbo? Custom? Glad you got the noise taken care of!

Thanks!

Yep. Some custom thing that has been on a couple of cars. Not sure who made it. It's a weird design but it fits in the car. I'll post a picture later this weekend.

XR5op2f.jpg

This fits the car nicely and gets the turbo over close to the head. #1 spark plug access isn't very good though. It's easy to get the plug out but it takes a bit of finesse to get the new one in. The downpipe is a little more tricky than one 90* bend as well but it's all good the way it is. The wastegate setup is probably the most efficient way to do it and the dump fits nicely between the bottom of the header and the upper control arm. I think someone on this board made this stuff a long time ago and then sold it to a friend who sold it to another friend who sold it to me.

XR5op2f.jpg

This fits the car nicely and gets the turbo over close to the head. #1 spark plug access isn't very good though. It's easy to get the plug out but it takes a bit of finesse to get the new one in. The downpipe is a little more tricky than one 90* bend as well but it's all good the way it is. The wastegate setup is probably the most efficient way to do it and the dump fits nicely between the bottom of the header and the upper control arm. I think someone on this board made this stuff a long time ago and then sold it to a friend who sold it to another friend who sold it to me.

Thank you! Always looking for ideas for the manifold.

Rick uses a td04 with a 90+ on his b23et, and others have done it before him. It's not exactly ground breaking stuff.... Especially without a steering column in the way like Rick has.

And the one hub has is upside down on the flange for his ebay stainless manifold, and a different shape again to this one. So not comparable.

I'm not sure. I had two different top-mount headers so I never bothered to test one. I think you could with the engine mounted vertically.
Sure! but then the intake needs work, a matter of choise.
BTW, the rumour is that heat wrap is performance and heat wise a good thing but making the manifold rust (reeeeallly fast) ... any experience on this issue?

This is the first time I've ever used it to be honest. I'm sort of hoping that part of the exhaust will stay so hot that it will never see any real moisture but I guess we'll see. This header is mild steel so it was a bit rusty when I got it and I didn't want to pay for ceramic coating so I painted it with some VHT and then wrapped it.

Hello Andrew, I'm the same opinion as RolinOldies:
Never wrap mild steel headers!
The rust will be amazing fast and deep. The condition outside isn't important.
Realy bad experience I have with this. I will never wrap a mild steel one again. Nothing is much better than that what you did.
Good luck, Kay

Fixed my leaking v-band with a different turbine housing which finally allowed us to tune the car some. Kyle came and gave me a hand with that and the car finally got some miles on it for the first time in three years. He was able to get it idling well (have to find and fix one vac leak) and tune it to cruise. The rest will come soon. I have several loose ends to tie up, the biggest being adjusting the preload on the pinion and that annoying vac leak. Probably gonna bleed the brakes one more time just to be sure it's free of air.

GqBSceX.jpg

cNdsCga.jpg

I'm super excited about it. Honestly with just a few small tweaks it can make it to the mountains in two weeks. I'll swap out the rear tires as they've dry-rotted and I'm not confident about that. It needs a bit more tuning before I'd try to get into boost but Kyle really made it into an actual car that starts and drives.

Back