• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Armor All & Leather

adrianpike

🔥
Is the original Armor All safe to use for sprucing up leather, or should I specifically go purchase their leather product?

Thanks,
-A

Every car that I know that has used Armour all has suffered from brittle plastics. This includes my one owner 240 :(

Armor All is not something I'd use, I've heard too many complaints of it damaging leather after repeated use, causing cracks etc, smells like crap too.

I would use Turtle Wax Finish 2000 . . . .

Awsome shine (wonderful smell compared to most other products), it's also inexpensive and you can buy it practically anywhere. Use it on the dash, steering wheel, trim, leather seats or leather trim on the seats. I love this stuff and it's inexpensive, I have been using it for years on my Volvo without issue, looks so shiney like it was professionally detailed everytime, protects too!

armor all can cause things to dry rot...not to mention it streaks and also attracts dust...same goes for their line of waxes too. i only use lexol on my leather surfaces. also, get some dedicated leather/vinyl cleaner, it really works well

armor all is really just armor vinyl. i use a leather specific product for leather.

and armor all does protect vinyl. just ask my corvette and boat which both have the original '76 vinyl interiors in them.

You hear so much crap about ArmourAll that it's hard to know what's true. However, what I was told about it (& it's ilk - Kitten at least makes something virtually the same as do others) was that it draws oils out of the plastic to a degree, while leaving a wee bit behind on the surface. So if you continually use it, you'll be leaving some on the surface & it won't dry out (& crack etc), but if you use it a lot & then stop it's worse than if you'd never used it.
Of course, that all smells like "conspiracy theory" stuff, but it does fit with what I've seen happen when friends got their first new cars & were all excited & cleaning them every weekend ... and as time went by they lost interest & stopped using the ArmourAll (& copies) so regularly.

My car was done from new. Interior looks fantastic but for the fact all the panels are really brittle. Mind you, what other products were being sold back then? I personally hate the stuff. Far better products out there. Last longer, look better and seem to do a better job. At least I now have a reason to make some molds and get some usefull panels happening for the interior :)

Sorry guys... I would never use Armor ALl on my Volvo. There is a product that is used to protect Ultralite Dacron and it can be found at small airports and where parts for Ultralites are to be had and this product is called: AP303. It is everything ArmorAll never was. It is a true UV protectant and it bonds with whatever you put it on instead of being a dust magnet like ArmorAll. I have used this since the 1980's. It is the best thing for leather, dashes, rubber... you name it. You can see it advertized in some airplane mags. I believe this is the same stuff. Mine is years old.

http://www.premiumautocare.com/303products.html

Glenn

Back