• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

50mm readily available side drafts ?

Jack

junkman
Going to need a massive amount air going into a 16v head
Looking for any recommendations for 50mm side draft carbs that you can get ?cheap?

I know harleys have some big carbs but that?s as fas as my knowledge goes

Will make a custom intake etc

Thanks

SU HS8 are 2" and used with some pretty big Healey and Jaguar engines. If I recall correctly Mike Jr or Mike Sr in their project 122 thread had aftermarket Weber clones. They may be available in 50mm.

SU HS8 are 2" and used with some pretty big Healey and Jaguar engines. If I recall correctly Mike Jr or Mike Sr in their project 122 thread had aftermarket Weber clones. They may be available in 50mm.

I thought of those but looking for more modern stuff

Keep the suggestions coming

Found some common mikumis but they’re are 46s I think which still isn’t big enough.

What kind of 16v engine would need more air than a set of quad 50mm DCOEs could provide, even choked down to 46mm? Not trying to be a jerk, genuinely curious :).

I’ll post specs when it’s all done

Doing port work (especially on intake- sloppy casting and room for better flow) and larger valves on intake and exhaust

There’s got to be something more modern Webers

Last edited:
If you're going through all this trouble with a mega-ported head, why not just run EFI? I'm almost certain you could find some 50+mm ITB throttle bodies that won't be as much a restriction as all the internals of a carb.

If you're going through all this trouble with a mega-ported head, why not just run EFI? I'm almost certain you could find some 50+mm ITB throttle bodies that won't be as much a restriction as all the internals of a carb.

Because I really don?t want to efi an amazon

50mm TBs are something I?m thinking of for another car
(I have a few 16v and even more Volvos)

Looking at 55 Webers ... ugh

Vergaser 46s are huge money and still a bit too small

if I start saving now I should be able to buy them in 200 years

whats the deal with solex sidedrafts

volvo used them on their race 16v but they seem to go for cheap?

Yes they did. These have a tag that says "VOLVO 16 VALVES " on them but they're only 48's.

Solex48ADDHE.jpg

Where do find you them cheap? It could be because calibrated parts are hard to find.

Last edited:
whats the deal with solex sidedrafts

They're similar in function to the Weber DCO/Es, but use many completely different components that don't interchange. I tried to save a few bucks buying a set of DDH 40s, and found out the hard way that replacement parts for the Solexes are hard to come by.

Also I think Solex used zinc bodies, instead of aluminum?

If the reason you dont want to go efi is looks, convert a carb to efi? there is some good kits out there for like Su;s and the big ones are usually cheep.

If the reason you dont want to go efi is looks, convert a carb to efi? there is some good kits out there for like Su;s and the big ones are usually cheep.

EFI is probably going to be cheaper and easier to find than 55-sized DCOE carbs.

You could try a high CFM 4-barrel, but I'm not sure airflow would be your friend with a setup like that.

Not for looks, just something I want to do with a 16v

The Chinese Webers seem nice but aren?t that much cheaper than 50/55 Webers

Once the headwork is done I?ll flow the head and find out exactly what I need

Independent throttle efi 16v is going on a different car

Back