• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 E fan only runs for 3 seconds at a time, temp gauge hot

Kjets, can a clutch fan be installed on my car? I've thought about putting one on, but the electric fan seems to be connected to the ECU and I don't want to upset it by cutting its fan control.

It is not connected to the ECU, and yes you can, but why would you? Plus threadjacking ;-)

Kjets, can a clutch fan be installed on my car? I've thought about putting one on, but the electric fan seems to be connected to the ECU and I don't want to upset it by cutting its fan control.

1992+ USA 7/9 w/wider e-fan rad/OE setup?

You can use the shroud/clutched fan from the B280 V6 car IIRC for the wide radiator with the redblock IIRC. I *think* that recombining of the junkpile works from memory.

Don't pay much attention to the 7/9s anymore/no incentive to/not paid to often/ever.
Decent enough cars (mechanically, but ugly/dated looking/nasty plastic interior/headliner), worlds cheapest owners.

That said, it's ECU controlled on the LH cars and just comes on waaaay late.
Use a lower temp switch/some other way to turn on the relay worked for me?
Coolest of the factory regina temp switch should click it on a bit sooner since the ECU doesn't control the fan on those cars/switch is a bit more conservative/not so close to the ragged edge helped a lot for me if your radiator's got the spot for it (push in switch of factory alum plastic rad or screw in if certain aftermarket)?
If not, SAAB T in lower hose & lower temp switch works too. Just more hose clamps/maybe somewhat unsightly splice/make sure the SAAB T isn't a ball of rust and decent quality switch (readily available new, just at what quality with all the china slave crap in the pipeline?)

Blades are a little quieter/more efficient on the last revision 2000 P80 70-series version of that fan that fits in the 940 E-fan shroud, but not sure it's worth splitting hairs over that. That said, IDK that it really moves any more air worth nitpicking about. :e-shrug:

I have the kool-aid lincoln mark-8 fans of the most powerful of the cheap/junkyard e-fans that can be possibly crammed into the turbo volvo/more compact passenger car engine bay.
Probably fry the poor alternator/overload the wiring like a sketchy taco truck breaker sub panel/make-shift restaurant kitchen breaker-panel without further reinvention/revision of the whole car/cooling setup.

John Lane went back to stock Aisin T-static tropical clutched plastic blade fan + shroud on the 500+hp rally car from e-fan, can't be total junk? :lol:
Revved up plenty fast with a shaved steel flywheel and close ratio gear box & short forged V6 crank.

For a street car the clutched in good shape probably uses less power honestly & better longevity with stock rad/electrical system. Just saying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2turbotoys, offered info in good faith, not trying to talk you into/out of e-fan or T-static mech fan/not trying to tell you what to do/not do, just sharing the experience & info, make what you will of it or not. :e-shrug:

Last edited:
I have the wide 940 radiator/-e-fan setup in my 242, controlled with microsquirt. I have it set to come on at 187 and off at 180. It cycles a bit in traffic but when it's cooler than 90 but it seems to run at 173 going down the road, pretty sure thermostat is 82C.

Back