• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Alternator Alignment

Chico

1993 Volvo 940 B23ft with A/C:
I've read as much as I can find on this topic but still have a couple questions.
The problem is that the alternator belt jumps around a bit because it isn't aligned exactly. The belt hasn't come off or broken. It has three new poly alternator bushings.

One thread mentioned that there may be more than one standard accessory bracket and that could cause alternator belt alignment issues even after changing all the bushings out. Does anyone have more specific information about that? The thread mentioned 1993 being a unique year but didn't specify what is unique about it, how the bushing fit is different or if there are different bushings that should be used.

Along with new alternator and power steering belts, I replaced the three alternator bushings (the replaced ones were also poly and fine) but the fit of the bushings doesn't seem right to me. They slide in to the bracket without needing to press them and once in place, are not completely snug on the alternator, even with the long screw torqued down and after tightening everything. This time, I used a washer in the top rear bushing location, between the alternator and the bushing shoulder to place the alternator as far forward as possible and to get a tighter fit (pic below).
With new belts, and bushings and everything adjusted and tightened, it was quieter on startup and idle but its still jumping around like before. I haven't driven it yet. Not too worried as its been like this for a while without problems but I'd like to know why it isn't right and not think about it again.
Washer at the top rear bushing:

Its hard to see but you might be able to tell that the alternator spool is not dead straight

Any input is much appreciated

Last edited:
There are 2 different brackets, one for AC (9146215) and one for non-AC (9146919).

The difference must be the width because the AC bracket is using a 150mm top bolt and the non-AC bracket a 140mm bolt according to the parts catalogue.

I think you are using a wrong non-AC alternator, as there are different ones for AC and non-AC in the parts catalogue.

Do you still have the old alt to measure the width?

The parts catalogue doesn't mention anything specific for 1993.

That sounds right. I got the car from an old electrical engineer who has done a ton of electrical mods so I wouldn't be surprised if he swapped alternators without realizing the difference in hanger size. I'll go check the parts box for the old one.--Don't have it.
The hanger on this one looks to be 70mm.
Part number:
Bosch 0 123 213 007
55-100A

Last edited:
I had this problem once, it seemed to get worse until it would throw the belt. I didn't figure out what was happening until the bracket snapped and the alternator, along with a large chunk of the bracket, fell off. Obviously the bracket was cracked and just kept getting worse.

I fought lining up PS recently when I tried to "custom" mount it. After fighting it for days I pulled it all apart and laid the brackets on bench, both were bent. I would inspect the adjuster bracket and recommend replacing all the hardware.

What's the best site for parts diagrams and information? I've seen a few that are incomplete at best.

If I need to look up something quickly or on the go, I usually use www.volvopartswebstore.com

If I need to dig a little deeper with a bit more details, I use the official parts catalogues at www.gcp.se/en/catalogues/

Pro tip:
Because I find the catalogue viewer a bit clumsy, I found out if you add "paper.pdf" at the end of each catalogue site address, you will get a PDF version of the whole catalogue (that you can also download).
So for example for the 940 1990-1993 catalogue, the address is https://weblisher.textalk.se/gcp/20160201-025/
For the PDF version it's https://weblisher.textalk.se/gcp/20160201-025/paper.pdf

I realized I looked in the wrong catalogue for my first post (used the 1994-1998 version), which is a little different as it seems there's only one bracket used on the earlier cars.
But maybe you are using a (I guess) narrower later non-AC alternator with the wider bracket.

Mine looks exactly like this.

I'm using the same accessory bracket, and the same bosch 100a alternator.

I assumed volvo was compensating for the inevitable deflection of the stock rubber bushings by tilting the alternator back a bit. You'll notice that they added an extra bushing to the AC compressor to reduce deflection as well.

I am not having trouble with my belt however. I tightened mine up until the belt vibration seemed reasonable.

The alternator depth does not appear to be wrong, only the angle.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great information. The noise from the belts is much quieter so far, though, the vibration on the alternator belt seems about the same as it was before. I found a tensioning procedure but not the spec. What is the recommended tension? I adjusted until I have about 1/2 inch deflection in the middle and to where it is pretty tough to twist it 90 degrees. Does that sound close?

I need to put some miles on it before I know for sure. If it doesn't seem like it is wearing prematurely and I'm still getting normal charge, I won't worry about it until/if I ever need a new alternator. It seems most likely that's the issue. Next time I'm at a junkyard, I'll try to remember to get a measurement of the alternator at the through bolt. Does anyone with an AC alternator with perfect alignment care to post a measurement of the alternator housing at the through bolt? Mine measured 70mm.
It could be that the bracket is bent also but I'm not interested in taking the bracket out or replacing all the hardware unless I start throwing/breaking belts.
Thanks again for all the replies. This is a true $500 car I picked up last September (first Volvo) and figuring out as I go so all the advice really helps save me hours.

I have this same difficulty only with the AC compressor on my 940 Regina. The compressor is slightly misaligned with the main vibration damper. In my case the compressor sits at a slight angle to the v.d. but the alternator lines up perfectly. The other belts look fine. Factory air. Never heard of the 2 different brackets so I'm wondering if the wrong one got installed at the factory? I would check to see if the correct alternator is installed. That's more likely for this particular car.

-Lazarus

Last edited:
Mine looks exactly like this.
I assumed volvo was compensating for the inevitable deflection of the stock rubber bushings by tilting the alternator back a bit.
I am not having trouble with my belt however. I tightened mine up until the belt vibration seemed reasonable.
I also assumed it was a compensation thing and replaced the mounting bushings to be sure. No change. In my case the compressor forward-backward alignment is OK, but it sits at an angle, which wears the belt on one side and eventually squeals. So apparently there are 2 possible problems, one a back and forth misalignment, the other an off-angle misalignment. That bracket is a hefty chunk of aluminum. Looks like others have discovered that it actually CAN bend. Who would have figured? Could this problem actually be bent brackets on the compressor? The alternator does not have moving mounting brackets like the compressor does.
-L

Last edited:
Have you tried loosening the 3 or 4 bolts connecting the bracket to the block, and tweaking it around ever so slightly? Of course after making sure the bracket itself isn't cracked/bent/tweaked.

At one time I did take it down to the bracket to have a good look. Didn't see anything remarkable. I don't think that there is much if any play in the mounting, especially no play in the angular directions. I would like to hear from others who have replaced that plate and had a successful fix. On my 940, the alternator mounts on top, and the AC compressor on the bottom. The alternator lines up perfectly, so the main plate mounting on the block is good. Nothing has changed since I got the car about 12 years ago, so I will never know the whole story.
-L

I just replaced the bracket on my 92 940 with one that I had painted. It had the same part number (sorry I don't have it here). There was a bit of play when I was bolting the new bracket up.

Back