• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dan's sort of build thread

Dan

I'm now Lt Dan
Darn it, I did a big rebuild of my 740 and forgot to take pictures along the way...I'll add some of the more out of the ordinary stuff I did later, this is more for my own benefit now so don't expect much in the way of entertainment. This is more of a forcing me to document what I've done and will be edited and tidied up as I update it

Bought in late 2005, towed to my house as it had just blown a radiator. I had a corvette aluminum rad i had bought for my own V8 conversion already so that worked out. Got the rad mounted and the car would barely do 30 mph. Finally discovered it had a fuel filter for a carbed motor not a FI motor. Replaced that and car ran great.
I put my own BBS wheels on it as I bough the car without wheels

Drove it till 2010 when the 700r4 lost 4th gear. had put many miles on it and had lots of fun .
Shopped and found a low mileage modded Corvette 700r4 that the guy took out to put a 4 speed in. Had to fabricate a rear mount as the Corvette trans had a different tailshaft than the run of the mill 700r4's.
1985 740 Diesel with a 5.0 SBC and a 700r4.
side and rear skirt panels, need front airdam side thingys
1990 700r4
700R4 4L60 1650 STALL HD TORQUE CONVERTER
Manual TCC lockup
Upgraded clutch packs
shift kit (shifts grrreat)
other mods, forget what and didn't document.
deep aluminum pan
braided flexible filler tube
Just ordered a Dakota digital VSS converter to make the VSS from the 700r4 talk to my 12276125 TPI computer
I put my own BBS wheels on it as I bough the car without wheels
Cut Diesel springs
IPD sways
HD Bilstiens in front, as of 2/15 Sachs Advantage in rear
1989 Camaro 305 with TPI
MSD coil, DUI ignition
CAI
Dual 2.25" exhaust through Walker cats into a 3" single Flowmaster
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Aluminum hood

Got it on the road and the trans would spew all its fluid when it got hot...
Parked it and decided to make a few other changes
Swapped out the 3.91 rear for a 3.73 I had from a parts car. Put all Poly bushings and welded up the subframe based on others experience.
Rewired the whole underhood harness as it had the Volvo rot, made a new relay panel to mount the Chevy fuel pump, ignition, starter and 2 fan relays.
Set up a oil pump filter mount in line with the transcooler lines, filter the oil and cool it at the same time
Tried cutting and re-welding the stock dipstick tube as it was hitting the trans tunnel and creating my leak, didn't like how it worked so bought a flexible dip stick tube and got it installed
Re did the exhaust and got rid of the cross over pipe that kept me from using my deep aluminum trans pan.
Most of driver's side floor was rusted and falling apart, cut it out, welded in 1.5" angle along the rocker panel from front jack mount to rear, welded in some other pieces of metal I found and then a flat panel, painted with corroless for now. Sealed seams with home acrylic silicone paintable caulk. Last couple of days I drained the tank of old gas, new spark plugs and wires re-did some switches in the dash for front fan and torque converter lock up
For various reasons, this took me two years to do as I worked on my other cars and dealt with health issues, also did a
Took it out for its first drive today, went around the block a few times, chirped into second gear spun the tires every time I punched it, remembered how much I like the sound and of a SBC into a flowmaster.
Still lots of little crap, Probably need to replace rear axle seals, I need to fix the broken parking lights,
Replace the window regulator I pulled to put in wifes 760.
Replace heater core
Make AC work
Replace leaky steering rack
Mount Battery in rear, I bought a kit many years ago from Summit
Decide which wheels go on this car and put tires on them (16" BBS or 16" Mille Miglia)
Pictures
When I first got car

picture.php

Along the way

2 Points if you guess who this is

[/IMG]
11/30 Replaced Brake Master Cylinder
12/2012, Replaced chinese HEI module with a DUI one

Last edited:
picture.php

picture.php
motor coming in next week or so (Roller cam TPI 305) , preliminary wiring for battery mounted trunk in place. Got new carpet for interior when I run the wiring to battery (going through cabin ). Still have to mount my front splitters

For those who want to know an easy way to make motor mounts for a SBC in a 740, look how mine are done

Last edited:
New motor has 200 miles on it, installed at 215,000 on the clock, so far so good. Also installed Splitters
Credit Crazychopstick

Last edited:
Credit : Crazychopstick for both

My Ricer steering wheel, is comfortable, correct size though,

Last edited:
I finished a project I've had in the works for awhile. Relocating battery to trunk. Hard to see in pic but there are 2 ground cables coming off battery negative going to threaded holes in front and back of battery tray. I used a battery tray I bought from Summit years ago.
I ran the + cable along the existing harness and at firewall I drilled a hole in a 'dimple" and ran it into the frame rail with a big rubber bushing. Drilled a hole in the frame rail to route cable into engine bay and welded a tube, put a hard plastic liner then the cable.
I ran 6 gauge wire to the starter terminal from the alt and an additional 10 gauge from the alt to my power distribution block in the engine bay. I am gonna heat shrink insulate the ends of the braided connections etc...Voltages are good. Still need to clean up the wiring, de-rust and paint the Battery tray and either put a fusible link or in line fuse for additional protection.
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
On our way to the Volvo meet outside Columbus TX. Photo credit to Chris crazychopsticks (NG)

The ranch we went to was awesome, George Dill was as funny and entertaining as ever and it was good to see all. Got to meet the infamous Kris Weldy in person.

Attachments

• 740  4-9-2016 meet.jpg
    740 4-9-2016 meet.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Shows pic of missing battery and how my wiring looks. Not the neatest, but out in the open and works, I will clean it up eventually,. Also can see the relay plate I made and mounted

Derusted the trunk and painted it silver, too bright, so gave it a splatter effect with some black. trunk mounted battery is doing great. Drove it 350 miles yesterday

Last edited:
redid my trunk mount battery, added a bracket to hold my tool box in place, installed my subwoofer, still need to get a solenoid for the battery to kill constant power on the main cable.

Last edited:
Back