• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

On the DL - 1985 Volvo 244 DL

lunchb0x

Nobodylikesthetunahere
Hey all.

I just picked up this 1985 244 DL Manual from my roommate's dad for $1000. He had it for a month or so with the plans to make it nice daily but ended up selling it to me. The guy who had it before him put a lot of work into getting it to pass smog. It passed with flying colors and the A/C works!

My current plans are to get all the stage 0 maintenance done and then get a nice exhaust and an A or B cam to waken it up a little.

Here it is currently in the garage with the interior pulled out. I "borrowed" the turbo grill from BR1CKHOUS3.
DLvB8Dnl.jpg

I changed the oil on Friday and did the motor mounts and trans mount yesterday... Should have done the oil change last as the filter is a bitch to work around, especially the larger WIX filter.
Mounts were a little worn..
160pJjQl.jpg

Hz8EMRxl.jpg

Replaced the fuel filter and found a pinched line coming off the filter as well as the awesome bungee cord brace.
BDViv1el.jpg

stF16Pml.jpg

Started cleaning the interior, carpet cleans up pretty nice.
u4f2c6dl.jpg

So much dog hair in the car, at least they left me a treat!
VmNrmLPl.jpg

There was even dog hair stuck in the window seal.... I used an old electric razor to trim it :rofl:
DXGPVOWl.jpg

4OVs5Eel.jpg

Here's my old '89 740 Turbo I had parked next to BR1CKHOUS3's 242.
6NFaCnhl.jpg

I love dogs, just would prefer the hair to be of one I owned lol.

Scored a tach and headlight reflector at Pick N Pull today.
IMzgmHYl.jpg

It works!
hdouIi8l.jpg

I noticed while under the car this weekend that the exhaust has a few pin hole leaks in the welds and is running underneath the axle and clanking around. That's next on the fix list once funds become available.

Last edited:
Man, my 244 had enough dog hair under the seats to make two extra dogs. Your car will smell so much better after all of that is gone.

Those are some shiny 14's! The ones I took off my car look like they were stored in the ocean. For about 10 years...

Those are some shiny 14's! The ones I took off my car look like they were stored in the ocean. For about 10 years...

I was fortunate to get them in good shape. Had a friend of mine do a quick polish of the rings and centers. I sanded down the center caps and polished the outer ring and V, then had BR1CKHOUS3 spray them black. The steelies themselves were nasty but cleaned up all right, at least the parts you can see that is. They aren't perfect but are definitely 5ft pretty.

After spraying and removing the masking tape.
VbgTxail.jpg

Close up of the finished work.
UhJ9CiGl.jpg

Good to know! I'd like to find a set of Volans sometime in the future and lower it down on those. I've always loved the look of Volans.

Did a bit of maintenance over the last few days.

-Cleaned throttle body
-Cleaned IAC motor
-Cleaned MAF
---On cold start the car properly revs up higher then settles back down once it begins warming up, didn't seem to do that before with everything dirty
-Fixed the driver side defrost vent, had to reconnect the diaphragm to the lever

Still fighting with the Overdrive light. OD engages and disengages just fine but the light doesn't come on in the dash. I've checked the bulb and it works fine. Noticed someone cut the wire for the OD light on the cluster harness and replaced it with another wire. I traced it back to the OD relay by the glove box. I reconnected the original wire and still no light.

Flushing the transmission is next on my maintenance list. The OD sump pan is leaking a little so before I put too many more miles on it I want to flush it. Don't know how long its been leaking or how much fluid has leaked out.

Yeah I've done that and the bulb is good. I even swapped a different bulb/housing in and still nothing. I might try and rig up a test light outside the cluster, directly off the relay and see what happens.

Well dip**** me, moving too quickly, put the tie rod end upside down and sent it with an impact. Had to use that fine setup to stop the bolt from spinning so I could get the nut off. Replaced the tie rod end with a new one and all is good.

Cut 2 coils off the front and 1.25 off the rear and the car is looking good. Will post some pics tomorrow.

That looks fantastic with the spring cut! I plan on doing the same thing to my 84 244 GL after Christmas. Mine looks identical to yours except the Draco's that came with it.

Back