• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Who Can Help me with a (Turbo) Tune for a B6304 on M4.4

955IsAlive

Aside from the fact that this motor isn't ideal for boost... that's commonly known. I'm weighing up my options on working around stock ECU incl the ignition advance.

I know there's a handful of folks out there that know how to tune the M4.4 in six cylinder trim*....

Who are they?

* You can't use TunerPro with the six cylinder model.

If someone modified a 5cyl M4.4 XDF file, they could easily use tunerpro to tune it.

I believe a couple have figured that out, but they are (understandably) keeping that close to themselves.

I'm also looking for possible other "tunable stock" six cylinder ECUs that work with COP ignition. It's not worth putting MS on this.

Aside from the fact that this motor isn't ideal for boost... that's commonly known. I'm weighing up my options on working around stock ECU incl the ignition advance.

I know there's a handful of folks out there that know how to tune the M4.4 in six cylinder trim*....

Who are they?

* You can't use TunerPro with the six cylinder model.

Its worth popping the head off and shimming the cylinders if you are gonna boost it.

There's another lengthy thread or 2 on here already about tuning the M4.4 six cylinder.

It boils down to, yes it's possible. It's been figured out and done, by at least one person in Sweden. Maybe others as well, but due to the amount of dev work they have personally invested in the software coding to make it happen, they do not give out this info for free, or even money. They will tune your motor for you, but if you are not in the EU, then it's a mail order tune, and custom on top of that. Plus the price they charge, you could buy an MS3X for that money and have infinite tuning options.

If you are a software engineer, you could figure it out yourself. I looked into it with a friend of mine who is a software engineer and codes for a living. He said I'd be better off just getting a standalone ECU. For what that's worth.

It's been said and done by a member, to just run the stock management with mild boost, turn up the fuel pressure a bit, change to larger injectors, and it's fine. I plan to try that as I rewiring the underhood of my 85 with the S90 harness, due to terminal harness rot. We'll see.

Honestly, I have everything required to make an XDF for the M4.4 B6304 but time. I'm more than willing to give it away for free, but it would take weeks to transcribe all the maps over to tunerpro :(. A member here (and on Volvospeed) once created a spreadsheet showing the maps for a 5-cyl non-turbo V70 and their equivalent hex addresses in the B6304 file, so the information is all there. They're pulled directly from the WinOLS damos file too, so they're very accurate...and in german :(.

The M4.4 tuning thread on Volvospeed is a 475 page gem of info on tuning those ecus, so maybe some insight could be found there.
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/159506-tuners-rejoice-free-tuning-for-m44/

If you wouldn't mind sending everything you have, I'll take a run at it again as it would save me alot of time, wiring, and money over converting to Megasquirt, AFTER I convert it to M4.4, haha.

I don't really know what goes into creating an XDF. But I have used Tunerpro before when I had a TPI v8 in my C10.

Oh I have that file! Forgot about that. Yea guess I'll have to spend time with google translate before I can even tackle coding work. Unless one of our German members would like to help?

Thats what I was thinking. I almost have the file completely (google) translated. I'll have to wait until I get home to play with making an XDF. Should be easy using the existing 5 banger XDF as a guide for what I need. Alot of these translations make no sense. Between the internet translator and not knowing the inner workings of a Bosch ECU, alot of this makes no sense.

Last edited:
There's another lengthy thread or 2 on here already about tuning the M4.4 six cylinder.

I swear I've searched for this particular scenario and not found much to sink my teeth into. Used google to search the site too.

240wagonguy said:
It's been said and done by a member, to just run the stock management with mild boost, turn up the fuel pressure a bit, change to larger injectors, and it's fine.

That's kinda where I'm at. Larger injectors and perhaps a MAF/larger housing to match. Rising rate FPR if needed to turn down the flow at idle/up for boost. Run a blend of gas and E85 to have a bit of overhead for the high compression and aggressive advance of the stock ignition. (cheapish) Electronic boost controller and of course AFR gauge.

Thinking about idle and bigger injectors.. based around the 25% trim limit in the 4.4. If you're keeping stock FP at idle, your injector choice would need to be below 266cc/min which is not really much above the stock 208 if you're looking to make power.

A combo that looks good is 329cc (T6) injectors at 25 PSI at idle (I'm estimating that based on 25PSI flow of 263cc/min at 80% DC). They should flow 363cc/min at 50PSI (again 80% DC). Rising rate for that was 2.5, putting it at 58psi at the rail... 50 at the injectors with 8psi of boost. A larger MAF housing might put things in adaptation range for idle, I won't know until I start testing.

I understand there's limited validity to these calcs because reality is dynamic. Without testing anything "in the wild" yet it's hard to say what the best combo will be... But that's my best guess.

The other thing I noticed is that according to VIDA, the stock fuel pump is only good
for 80l/hr at 43PSI. So if that's right, I'll have to get that swapped out before long, especially if there's ethanol added into the mix.

In my case, I'm not looking for massive gains, they won't happen with 10.7.1 anyway. But if I can make it a bit of a stump puller/lugger with a flat torque curve, that would make me happy.

No he means shim. It's an open deck block that the liners are known to have issues on.

Ah. Sounds too sensible for me, not nearly TB enough.

I'm really not looking for big gains, just wake up the sloth some. If I can get it even to 250/280HP ish with a reasonably flat torque curve I'll be happy. NA would probably get me close in peak power, but I like response down low. We'll see if the liners can take it :D

Back