• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

A big valve 8valve is better than a 16valve head for 99% of tbricks

Wrong. A cylinder head with better flow characteristics is ALWAYS better. If you had said "A big valve 8valve is better than a 16valve head for 99% of TbrickERS", then I'd be forced to agree.

It's like saying you didn't want to date the super-hot, super-nice chick because she was too high maintenance. Maybe it was just maintenance you couldn't do.

Hmmm isnt a bigger valve, ported 8v still cheaper than a 16v swap?
NA set up 16v all day, way more power under the curve.
Turbo Meh splitting hairs at that point. 16v make more but at what expense?

Now if the 8v was casted with a decent port shape, combustion shape, this would all change....

I kinda wish I could make my valves smaller or add some sort of fins/grooves to them

So for me yeah I think 8V > big 8V > 16V

Certainly more than adequate for me, I also prefer the 8v sound. Call me a weirdo. IDK I'm not smart enough to argue the details. 16v does have its own inexplicable cool factor.

A 16v can use shorter duration cams so will have better mid range power and still match a 8v top end power, that’s the advantage I think of a 16v engine over a 8v.

Does gasket matching mean making sure the intake and exhaust gaskets have the same internal diameter of the valves?

No gasket matching is grinding the ports out so they are the same size as the gaskets. All it does is slow the gas speeds. The throat is not where there is any restriction in the head but around the valve stem is where the work is needed

A 16v can use shorter duration cams so will have better mid range power and still match a 8v top end power, that?s the advantage I think of a 16v engine over a 8v.

Yes that is the advantage but you do loose torque and engine braking with a 16v. David Vizard has come up with the polyquad head that increases swirl and tumble to improve torque. Never see it done with a Volvo head and how much gain you get is a ?????

Wrong. A cylinder head with better flow characteristics is ALWAYS better. If you had said "A big valve 8valve is better than a 16valve head for 99% of TbrickERS", then I'd be forced to agree.

It's like saying you didn't want to date the super-hot, super-nice chick because she was too high maintenance. Maybe it was just maintenance you couldn't do.

Right. You wine and dine her. Treat her nice. Then take her home to find out the tits are fake and that big bush isn?t the Brazilian that was advertised.

Back