• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16v head plus WHAT 1mm larger valves ?

Jack

junkman
starting to do some porting work on 16v head and looks like 1mm larger valves should go in without a problem

what are you guys using for valves? before I go read threads that go nowhere...

I vaguely remember someone talking about e30 m3 engine valves

crickets

maybe this will get you talking
YjpvAFNh.jpg

If going up a size on the 16v, I'd just do the intakes.
KL Racing has some, their quality is all over the place on the 8v stuff: https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/ventil-volvo-16v-36mm-insug-rostfritt.html

You can also have Manley, Ferrrea, SI, etc make you custom valves. Ferrea will be about $50/valve, Manley is usually ~$40 for stainless, SI can sometimes be around $20-30 depending on what they have to do. I wouldn't hesitate to run SI valves on an NA engine btw, they held up great in the 16v rally car.

Are your goals over 250hp for the build? Penta cams aren't going to get you there, if so.

With great porting and proper cams, Erland Cox says people are getting around 280hp with 50mm carbs/ITBs on 2.3L bottom ends still using stock valves.

I've got the 8v KL valves in my build. Hasn't run yet but looked fine when machining. Will probably order there when i'll start building my 16v

First of all, :rofl:!

Second, why are you putting in larger valves? Do you have goals of 300hp with this build and aftermarket camshafts to match? Even without a wife, the stock sized valves flow plenty for most builds and are not a limitation.

First of all, :rofl:!

Second, why are you putting in larger valves? Do you have goals of 300hp with this build and aftermarket camshafts to match? Even without a wife, the stock sized valves flow plenty for most builds and are not a limitation.

bent valves on this head so while Im there .... then one thing leads to another ...

It's mostly just a technical exercise for me to see how well it does.

just getting started on #4, mostly cleaning the crappy casting marks. Might go with 6mm valves

dslVVTch.jpg

GcvQxRBh.jpg

about 1mm taken off the top and sides. The opening is restrictive but then it opens up

Last edited:
just getting started on #1, mostly cleaning the crappy casting marks. Might go with 6mm valves

You started on cyl #4, at least going from your 2nd picture. Lol, and your 1st picture :)

Inb4 partout

Intake valves are way smaller; not sure why they did that

I don?t get why not go with bigger valves

Intakes are larger than the exhausts, but +1mm is a good way to go. 6mm valve stems would be sweeeeeet!

Back