• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hackster's Lifted T56 swapped 940

God I love a hackster build.
Excited to see this one, makes me miss my lifted 244. I used the same tires and I LOVED them. Super affordable too

God I love a hackster build.
Excited to see this one, makes me miss my lifted 244. I used the same tires and I LOVED them. Super affordable too

Its nothing special dude, definitely not one of my full on builds just something fun to bash around town in.

Had a little time yesterday to work on it. Ran into just some weird issues.

Rear spacers are literally pressed onto the hubs and I have tried everything short of cutting to get them off so I guess we are running 1" spacers in the rear now.....no clue if things will clear but will find our shortly.

Got the old shocks and spring out.

XJ Front springs got cleaned up and installed in place of the stockers. Aside from the bas being slightly bigger than the stock Volvo springs they went in super easy.

Shocks, well that was a totally different story. I bought some KYB Gas Adjusts for the rear for a VW Vanagon, people said direct swap.....

the tube size in the shock bushing is not wide enough for the upper or lower so I figured out how to press out the stockers (in like new condition) and the KYB's and insert the stockers into the KYB's. Not hard but it took me a fair bit of time engineering this **** show.

Once done, got things bolted in. Looks like the Vanagon shocks are a little long, we will see how it does once its on the road.

gU5PVprh.jpg

M9rimcEh.jpg

4th tire should be mounted up today and I will be able to get it off the trailer and start on other stuff.

I ordered up 3- 8" 15,000 lumen driving lights for the front bumper from Amazon. Cree led's and when they showed up the quality of them look outstanding considering the $100 each I paid. Will be curious to see how they look on a little light bar on the front. Should have a good amount of light up front with those though. All that light only 24 amps total.

Aside from Asher, I havent heard one person locally to me say that this is a cool idea. Will be interesting to see what kind of feedback I get once its on the road. Maybe this is a flop.....sure looks like a fun urban assault vehicle to me. :oops:

Happy New Year!!

Sean

Aside from Asher, I havent heard one person locally to me say that this is a cool idea. Will be interesting to see what kind of feedback I get once its on the road. Maybe this is a flop.....sure looks like a fun urban assault vehicle to me. :oops:

Happy New Year!!

Sean

This is a cool idea!
Working on an open deck trailer is definitely a step up from the garage floor. It's a very underrated work area :)

I think doing the work on the trailer was a perfect setup for it's first test...Once ready, take a hard right and drive her off the trailer, see what this thing can do!

Looks like fun to me! Cool that it has a Power Lock already, but arguably you may not even need it anyway, if both rear tires stay on the ground at all times. An ARB air locker would be sweet though if you want to do anything that requires articulation.

Do you have any fire roads, rally stages, or other fast dirt roads close by?

This is a cool idea!
Working on an open deck trailer is definitely a step up from the garage floor. It's a very underrated work area :)

Hahaha, glad I am not the only one that thought that. :-P

I think doing the work on the trailer was a perfect setup for it's first test...Once ready, take a hard right and drive her off the trailer, see what this thing can do!

I am not sure its up for that given no run room or a working clutch =)

Looks like fun to me! Cool that it has a Power Lock already, but arguably you may not even need it anyway, if both rear tires stay on the ground at all times. An ARB air locker would be sweet though if you want to do anything that requires articulation.

Do you have any fire roads, rally stages, or other fast dirt roads close by?

ARB would be killer, never seen one for a 1031 though. Asher and I were looking at gears the other day, wow they are expensive.

I have thousands of miles of gravel, two track and rally stages less than 45 mins from my house. I wouldnt say close but I have been venturing on them for the past 20 years so I know them well and frequent them often, less in recent years as my road hobbies have become more than my off road hobbies.

We have some amazing wheeling out here, both TSF and Mt. Hood area's finding places to have fun would be a non issue.

Glad some peeps find it intriguing.:oogle:

Sean

ARB would be killer, never seen one for a 1031 though. Asher and I were looking at gears the other day, wow they are expensive.

I have thousands of miles of gravel, two track and rally stages less than 45 mins from my house. I wouldnt say close but I have been venturing on them for the past 20 years so I know them well and frequent them often, less in recent years as my road hobbies have become more than my off road hobbies.

Depending on what you see as "expensive".
You can get 1031 gears for ~$600 right now.
http://www.sellholmshop.se/transmission-1/slutvaxlar-1.html

Bak Axel has them for a bit less as well: http://bakaxel.se/utvaxlingar-till-slutvaxel/utvaxling-volvo-9065.html

Depending on what you see as "expensive".
You can get 1031 gears for ~$600 right now.
http://www.sellholmshop.se/transmission-1/slutvaxlar-1.html

Bak Axel has them for a bit less as well: http://bakaxel.se/utvaxlingar-till-slutvaxel/utvaxling-volvo-9065.html

I was looking at the ones from Sellholm shop. I am going to get it on the road and see how it goes then make the call. If first gear is a 2.95, Might need like 5.13's with the little 2.3 in there. Couple more days and we will know more.

I appreciate you sending the info. I am a little surprised our paths have never crossed in person yet. Someday I would like to meet you and shoot the ****.

Saturday was spent up in the woods wheeling and playing in a couple feet of fresh powder that fell the night before. Good time.

Finally got around to unloading this thing off the trailer as the weather was not codusive to what needed to happen. To my surprise the brake pedal was really, really soft. Still had enough brakes to unload and get it in the garage.

First time I have let it run for more than just onto the trailer, runs surprisingly good actually.

Found the leak after a few mins......puddle of brake fluid from driver rear wheel. I had a hunch of what it was. Tore it apart and found that one of my blows of the hammer to try to remove the wheel spacer may have inadvertently hit the caliper.....well when it hit the caliper it cracked it and was leaking a lot of fluid.

Made a quick trip to sherwood and they had one 93 940 turbo, snagged the caliper, swapped it on the green machine and had the wife help me bleed brakes after lunch. All good again.

Onto my other stuff :lol:

Spent a fair bit of time sanding and buffing the headlights back to pretty usable, not new but so much better.

Before

R9LEYCgh.jpg

After

0YcV1H6h.jpg

Installed some new repop turn signals from IPD. I couldnt see needing OEM for this thing. Front end looks a lot better now.

7gVtVDYh.jpg

hsLOxKKh.jpg

Spent a little time in the engine bay cleaning things up, checked and topped off all the fluids, tidied things up a little bit.

Car is exceptional under the hood.

4hxNzoPh.jpg

I trimmed the back edge of the front bumper to gain some tire clearance and surprisingly things look like they clear pretty well.

I really dig how this thing is looking.

H2BhUHih.jpg

BwA1vYHh.jpg

2UXZCPBh.jpg

db9vcech.jpg

Clutch is supposed to be here Tuesday. I have a little oil leak to look at as well and some interior work to tackle as well.

Sean

I appreciate you sending the info. I am a little surprised our paths have never crossed in person yet. Someday I would like to meet you and shoot the ****.

I'd be down. My shop space is about 5 blocks from Asher's new place. So I think we're not too far apart. Meet at Harald' house and drink beer in his front yard?

Man I wanted that thing bad when I found out about it. Didn't think to ask the seller whether he would separate it from the rest of the lot. Looking good, Sean!

I picked up a set of less ****ty door panels from Roy a few weeks back and had an evening free to tinker so I began the interior clean up on this turd.

All of the door panels upper material had began to pull up and had these terrible wrinkles in them so I began on my mission to swap the door panels with newer ones, clean everything up and get the interior back in OK condition.

This is about what I started with.

Vt6HRRzh.jpg

3qGE4KPh.jpg

tWG8r7Kh.jpg

5FErtxih.jpg

I forgot to snap a drivers area before I started but it was the worst with a totally destroyed pocket and filthy.

Hk9jJUdh.jpg

zXwcB66h.jpg

sX2gYEOh.jpg

Its not perfect but its a hell of a lot better than it was.

I need to track down a few pieces, passenger side sill plate and 2 good front door speaker grille's and some factory Carpeted floor mats.

Its getting there, clutch should be here today so hope to get it installed one day this week if possible.

Sean

This is awesome, I passed over it because I saw "Hackster" and "T56" and assumed it was your 242. Hoping to see it one day once I'm finished moving out your way

Haha, I should have titled it something else :-P I had no idea you were moving out this way, whats the plan? I see Washington plates in your profile pic now. Vancouver? and when are you going to be here full time?

that's odd. I've had a lot of 940's come through and never seen a door panel all curled up like that. Hot climate thing?

From what I have been told its all 1995 models, apparently they did something and its very common for this to happen....just on 95's.

I have not seen a door panel do this ever, maybe they came from the same factory as the early 90's chevy pickup paint =)

Sean

Haha, I should have titled it something else :-P I had no idea you were moving out this way, whats the plan? I see Washington plates in your profile pic now. Vancouver? and when are you going to be here full time?

Im out in Walla Walla right now, I'll be moving to Vancouver in about a week! For now I'll be leaving the two Volvos at my shop in Walla Walla, I'll bring my 242 out in a few months once I'm settled in. Its so close to being finished, I need a final push over the finish line. I'd love to check out your 242 some time, it would be all the motivation I need :oogle:

Im out in Walla Walla right now, I'll be moving to Vancouver in about a week! For now I'll be leaving the two Volvos at my shop in Walla Walla, I'll bring my 242 out in a few months once I'm settled in. Its so close to being finished, I need a final push over the finish line. I'd love to check out your 242 some time, it would be all the motivation I need :oogle:

Right on man. I moved down here from Seattle in 98 and have zero regrets. Hit me up anytime always happy to help out a fellow enthusiast and I dig your car.

Well, managed to get a fair bit of work done on the **** box.

Pulled the transmission out on Thursday night after work, actually dropped the transmission off of the tranny jack and onto myself. Foolish mistake, didnt put a ratchet strap on it and the jack slid out the front and trans landed on my arm pinning me down till I could wiggle out from under it and get it slid out from under the car. It leaked fluid everywhere including soaking me in some random Mobile 1 fluid.

bqmtOe4h.jpg

For such a small car it has a little tunnel in it. Trans is a tight fit.

ng7E7mxh.jpg

Clutch and pressure plate were hammered.

nPyxfthh.jpg

0zlORogh.jpg

Flywheel wasnt great, took some roloc discs to it and got it cleaned up as much as I could. got a little grip to the surface.

ozaIUrih.jpg

Asher came over Friday night after work and we got to it, Installed new Pilot bearing, Centerforce Clutch and Pressure plate and slammed the trans back in before dinner.

qrvf1BOh.jpg

With that out of the way we moved on to replacing the carrier bearing rubber that was trashed.

It took us longer to deal with that than it did to put the clutch and transmission in.

Once we figured out how it goes together and comes apart it wasnt bad. The splines in the slip got very tight though, took me a few hours to clean it up to go back together but its tighter than I would like it to be.

Aftermath of Thursday and Friday late nights.

YaPsNsch.jpg

Saturday morning I drained the fluids from the trans refilled it with Mobile 1 synthetic ATF and got the Clutch hydraulics bled.

I modified the lower endlinks for the front sway bar and got that all bolted in and functional as well.

Drained the oil, attempted to fix a leak at the oil cooler/ oil filter but it had been leaking so long it looks like it needs all new seals and hoses, those will be here tomorrow so I can tackle that then.

New oil filter, new oil and lets see if it moves. Success!!!

Little adjustment of the pedal but we are mobile.

First test drive around clutch works, doesnt slip. Car definately needs more gear for the t56 as well as it has some bad shakes under load, acceleration and decel are different.

My Nephew and his girlfriend were down and everyone wanted to go for the test drive. We did a few laps around my neighborhood and there are a few of those big like 4' long speedbumps we hit them about 35 and jumped the car more than a few times. 4 grownups fit comfortably in the car and they were laughing the entire time we were in it. It slides good, jumps good and already has people dying laughing.

Its a riot to drive aside from the shake.

All that done before lunch time =)

Back at it this afternoon and decided to see if I could tackle some better torque arms as the stock ones allow no pinion adjustment and are super soft squishy bushings.

Only thing I didnt have was a couple of the bushings and the sleeves but Baxters had them. GM leaf spring bushings and sleeves =)

Start.

YLA0eBnh.jpg

All welded up and ready for some paint. I am not in love with the threaded end but I dont see these things taking a huge amount of load as they share the load and will mostly see a push pull loads.

k53o2wOh.jpg

Painted up, bushings installed (Energy Suspension Poly Bushings and sleeves) Larger end is 3" width, small end is 2" width. Assembled them with some copper antiseize and a jamb nut.

CP3x6DTh.jpg

Upper got extended about 3/4" to get the angle back and have a starting point.

Its much much better but still shakes on hard acceleration. I think I need to work on transmission height and carrier bearing and get things all in line then mess with pinion angle.

Ill keep dinking with it the next few days and hope that it can be a driver relatively soon, seems like it will be dumb fun.

Sean

Last edited:
I picked up a set of less ****ty door panels from Roy a few weeks back and had an evening free to tinker so I began the interior clean up on this turd.

All of the door panels upper material had began to pull up and had these terrible wrinkles in them so I began on my mission to swap the door panels with newer ones, clean everything up and get the interior back in OK condition.

This is about what I started with.

Vt6HRRzh.jpg

3qGE4KPh.jpg

tWG8r7Kh.jpg

5FErtxih.jpg

I forgot to snap a drivers area before I started but it was the worst with a totally destroyed pocket and filthy.

Hk9jJUdh.jpg

zXwcB66h.jpg

sX2gYEOh.jpg

Its not perfect but its a hell of a lot better than it was.

I need to track down a few pieces, passenger side sill plate and 2 good front door speaker grille's and some factory Carpeted floor mats.

Its getting there, clutch should be here today so hope to get it installed one day this week if possible.

Sean

I forgot to ask you what you meant by a sill plate when you were at my shop. I probably have one. Text a pic of what you need.

Funny story....I had a hell of a time getting the slip on the driveline put back together but was certain that it was correct in orientation. Last night while under the car, I saw that the slip yoke was sliding in and out of the trans a lot and almost burried in the trans against the seal at ride height.

So I pulled the driveline out again and tore it apart. I cleaned up the splines and did a little looking in the yoke and slip and tried and tried at the same orientation. Finally I cleaned up the splines with a scrub brush and could see there was one spline that had no wear on it and there is one missing spline on the female side.....

We had the driveline 90 degrees out of phase.

Rotated it and lined up the non worn spline up with the missing one and boom slid together perfect all the way to the bottom.

Learn something new everyday right?

Shimmed up the transmission about 3/8" and removed the spacers from the carrier bearing to get things to line up much better. We are not talking in small increments here we are talking about getting close.

Its 80% better everywhere except the low rpm high load where it still has some shake to it but my changes made a huge difference.

The car is pretty fun to drive. Got insurance on it today so now I can actually drive it a little bit on the roads.

Picked up some new hoses and fittings for the oil cooler to try and get it to stop leaking oil there. Once that is buttoned up it will need an alignment and I can put a few miles on it.

Has anyone ever noticed how high you sit in these cars? Is it better with non power seats? Even with the seats all the way down I sit really high in the car, like my head is close to the ceiling....stupid sunroof doesnt help either.

Cheers!!

Sean

No, the driver position is terrible on them, sadly. Your best option would be to get an aftermarket seat on manual 740 sliders.

As for the steering wheel, it's pretty much the same story, too big, too close to the dash, almost constantly gets in the way of your legs.

I know the manual seats have adjustments to lower seat(I installed them on my car have them set on the lowest point). I'm pretty sure power seats don't have any adjustment because of the seat motors.

Back