• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil pan temperature gauge

VolvoLatAm

Has anybody used a temp sender from the non turbo 240 oil pan like one of the non volvo ones manufactured by users here? Plastic washers only? Looking for some extra data from the engine

I made my own. Bought a couple of replacement drain plugs from RockAuto, drilled and tapped one, threaded in a temp sender and Bob's Your Uncle. Worked great.

If you can get a bung welded on to the lower part of the oil pan there is less likely hood of breaking the sender going over a speed bump depending on the splash shield you have.

Plus it may open options sensor wise for you

+1 on this. I have broken off the end of the sensor. I think putting the car on a trailer. That said, in my case, getting the oil pan off was more work than the value of a sensor. All that said, the next time the motor was out I did have a bung welded on to the pan.

If you can get a bung welded on to the lower part of the oil pan there is less likely hood of breaking the sender going over a speed bump depending on the splash shield you have.

Plus it may open options sensor wise for you

I once watched a video on installing twin turbos at the rear of a Corvette. Turbo drains were pumped back to the oil pan. I long punch was used to punch a tapered hole in side of the oil pan. This tapered hole was then tapped for pipe threads and a fitting was installed.

+1 on this. I have broken off the end of the sensor. I think putting the car on a trailer. That said, in my case, getting the oil pan off was more work than the value of a sensor. All that said, the next time the motor was out I did have a bung welded on to the pan.

Any chance you could post a photo of that? I would like to see how that would look. What kind of materials, etc...

This is the welded oil temp sensor bung. I can get a picture of the drain plug hack this weekend. For the bung, I think I got it off of amazon. If you search "3/8 NPT steel weld bung" you will see a bunch for <$10.

AdbibJZl.jpg

y4yDmCtl.jpg

If we're talking B21 or B23, just get a VW oil temp sender from a Cabriolet or Rabbit/Scirocco and thread it in place of the oil galley plug at the back of the head. Make sure you use a copper crush washer to seal things. Temperature is about 10 deg C warmer than it is in the pan, but it works well and avoids being damaged by road debris or wayward floor jacks.

It's a b23a, do you think this will still work? Also, I heard the copper ones are bad on the oil pan and the plastic washers are better...does this still apply here? Have a link to one?

Provided it's the original head on the block, yeah it'll work. Copper would be better.

Send a PM to swedishiron.com asking for a VW oil temp sender. He should have a few.

Back