• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Phosphate free Coolant / Best coolant for these engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HotCoil

I used to have a BMW 2002, which needed a phosphate free coolant. Seeing as they both are steel block / aluminum head engines, I assume it's the same for a B230.

coolant

The absolute best is coolant from Volvo. At least it used to be. However, from the auto parts store I've used both big name brand Prestone and Peak. But I make sure their versions are the phosphate and silicate free version. The Peak universal version is the latest that I've tried. Seems to be OK so far.

Can't seem to find much at all around this area that is labelled as phosphate-free, and of course none of the parts people have any idea. I asked at one place for phosphate and silicate-free and the lady said just don't use silicone when you put it in. Another guy said it makes no difference, but to just use distilled water. He even got to a point of yelling at me saying they're the same (so he got no sale obviously).

Yes, it is recommended, can't say as I've got a brand other than OEM should be good (though expensive.

I'm pretty sure the Peak pre-mix I used was sili and phosphate free. Prestone G-05 used to be as well, used it in diesels. Speaking of which, I used to see Cat or one of the big diesel outfits had a coolant that was crud free as well.

Hit the coolant manufacturers websites, tech info should be there. Lot of people have covered this before for other vehicles.

Prestone green will work with any engine. Read over the labels. There are no phosphates. I've been using it in my 760 for five years with no problems. Also use it in my 240.
But if you like blue better, go with Peak.

From PeakAntiFreeze.Com

C. Why does my vehicle owner’s manual recommend a phosphate free antifreeze?
Some European car manufacturers recommend that phosphate free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. The reason is that the water in Europe has an extremely high mineral content. If you mixed an antifreeze containing phosphates, which are part of the corrosion inhibitor package, with the water they have in Europe, the phosphates in the antifreeze may “drop out” and form deposits in your cooling system that can lead to corrosion. However, this is not a major concern in North America, since our water is lower in mineral content, or softer, than European water.If you are interested in a phosphate-free antifreeze, Old World Industries offers PEAK? Global LifeTime™ Antifreeze and SIERRA?, the Safer Antifreeze.

Obviously, it's the corrosion inhibitors that are the problem with european based vehicles.

Ugh, never try to read that far into a post on this board. There's all types here... from eat and sleep volvo breath to hard core volvogasm. But you get the best of all worlds - folks here know more than the people that designed the things in sweden. The best q/a support you'll find anywhere, with no sarcasm, and little humor - just straight up the best advice you'll find.

Welcome.

I've been impressed with Toyota's RED coolant.
If changed on time it will not plug up an aluminum radiator, it does not turn to the fugly red (rusty) mess that we see so often in cars that have been fed the 'Green Death' that is also known as most of your green colored anti-freezes.

anti freeze

I can tell you this. Although they may consider my water softer than European water. My water here in NJ has plenty of mineral content judging by the white mineral deposits I get in my tub and fixtures. So, I'll stick with Volvos recommendations which has never been a problem. The long life anti freeze from Prestone worked well. It was silicate and phosphate free. If you want to be super careful I would just buy Volvos coolant.

I've also used Sierra. It worked well but after only a year became discolored. With Volvo antifreeze and the Peak or Prestone products. I can usually go two-three years then I change it.

I am currently using zerex G-05 formula. I use it in the benz, and switched the brick over last fall when I replaced the radiator. It seems to be a very good coolant.
in new MBZ, along w/ a time release additive in the tank, it is a lifetime fill.

Costs a bit more than the green death, but way less than OE at $12/ gallon at most NAPA's, and even autozoo has it now.

you can get pentosin coolant like the vw's use blue or red. volvo also sells thier own at the dealership blue

Ugh, never try to read that far into a post on this board. There's all types here... from eat and sleep volvo breath to hard core volvogasm. But you get the best of all worlds - folks here know more than the people that designed the things in sweden. The best q/a support you'll find anywhere, with no sarcasm, and little humor - just straight up the best advice you'll find.

Welcome.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back