• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

G80 Making a Fuss?

I've made a liar out of myself. But in light of it's return, I had a thought.

My shocks are completely blown, rusty, and 40 years old. Could the combination of the shocks not dampening the wheels when they try to stick in a turn, like wheel hop?

Does this make sense ?

I've made a liar out of myself. But in light of it's return, I had a thought.

My shocks are completely blown, rusty, and 40 years old. Could the combination of the shocks not dampening the wheels when they try to stick in a turn, like wheel hop?

Does this make sense ?

Makes a bit of sense to me, I just got a G80 installed into my B234F powered 740 GLE sedan and have been less than satisfied with it.

It will do a static burnout no worries.

It will hold a skid through to the top of second gear IF you can keep your foot in it, no worries.

But sometimes if the amount of power available is not much in excess of the current grip level it walks from side to side, as in, spin one, partially engage clutch, spin the other, repeat. Horrible.

And then there's the speed threshold for lockup which seems lower than "advertised".

I suspect most of my issues with it would be solved by pinning the disengage weight, but not the walking thing. LSDs don't do this. Welded diffs don't do this. Just weird and annoying.

Not quite the same scenario as you are talking about here, I don't think (or I misread), but similar symptoms.

When my diff was in the B234F powered 940 wagon that it came out of, I tested it as able to do burnouts and donuts, no worries. But I didn't play with it much more than that. Now I have. G80 = meh. But I'm used to tight clutch pack LSDs, so... just spoilt, I guess. :-)

Needed to get rid of a couple of old tyres last night, so the G80 got some more intense testing under its belt.

Only issue I had last night while spinning donuts was lift-off-unlock, which is inherent in the design, sadly.

The required technique is to brake instead of lift off to control the car, which is unintuitive and difficult to get used to.

I think the two cures I need are:

1) Disable disengage mechanism so it works at any speed
2) MORE POWER to ensure it always fully engages and doesn't partial-lock and walk

Or just put the MIG locker back in the car once it's inspected? :-D

Nevertheless, here's a couple of G80 photos for you:

DZ2iV7MU0AEiceL.jpg

DZ2iR12VoAAdXBM.jpg

DZ4piyxUMAEQW4S.jpg

Back