• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kenneth's 1987 780 project.

SouthSideSlider

so guys i bought a 1987 volvo 780 GLE the other day for $400.
It was not running, had a known bad power steering rack, and the interior is shot.
that being said here she is.

so the plan is for now to get it running as is and start the mods.
i hope to eventually do a T6 with a getrag 5spd.
i bought these C4 corvette sawblades awhile back so i figured oncew i get some money coming in i will get adaptors for these

i also have some audi A4 sport seats laying around so i might try and fit them in place of the broken 780 seats. also a 960 dash if i can find one cheap enough in good condition.
im thinking a 90+ front bumper as there is one at the local junkyard and it would be better than the 89 turbo bumper and lip currently on the car.

Got it running. had to put a new rotor button and clean the distributor cap and she started right up. Seafaom and new plugs in short order.

oh and the power seats are locked up and wont move to access the rear bolts any ideas guys.

heres some more pics.
interior shots:

the shot sunroof seal that is the reason for the ruined interior:

I set the corvette wheels next to it last night to get a better idea of what it would look like

Last edited:
I completely thought that was an installed picture hahaha. Potato resolution helping you out there. I think it'll look good, but needs to come down in the front.

I'd do something about that interiour before you start bolting stuff to the roof.

A lot of the interior is bespoke for the 780 but I know that any 740 or 760 seats will bolt in the front. When I bought my 780 the seats were just about as thrashed. Good luck!

hopefully ill be able to go grab some extra audi sport seats i have in storage tommarrow. though thew rearseats will have to be reuppolstered.
sadly i am without a job fro now so anything i do will be cheap or free. i am lucky i have alot of parts laying around from other projects.
im going to see if i can make my S14 steering rack work as i have an extra one laying around.

Got it running. had to put a new rotor button and clean the distributor cap and she started right up. Seafaom and new plugs in short order.

oh and the power seats are locked up and wont move to access the rear bolts any ideas guys.

There is a special T handle wrench thing that should be with the tools in the trunk. Underneath the seats there is a place to insert the tool and rotate it to move the seat forward without power.

ah ok now i get it. i thought that was rather agressive from what im used to on Tbricks.

sadly its decided to stop running again time to figure that out. (seems to be out of timing.)

So ive been dowin some looking and i have a set of Ebay S14 lower control arms and it looks like if i get the adjustable tension rods and mountyed then reversed(left on right and visa versa) they might work on the volo in which case i could run some different spindels / shocks (FC rx7 maybe i have some laying around with 4pot brakes and some 1st gen S40 coilovers also.)

Last edited:
ah ok now i get it. i thought that was rather agressive from what im used to on Tbricks.

sadly its decided to stop running again time to figure that out. (seems to be out of timing.)

So ive been dowin some looking and i have a set of Ebay S14 lower control arms and it looks like if i get the adjustable tension rods and mountyed then reversed(left on right and visa versa) they might work on the volo in which case i could run some different spindels / shocks (FC rx7 maybe i have some laying around with 4pot brakes and some 1st gen S40 coilovers also.)

What are you trying to accomplish with the car? I'm not sure what the benefit here is.

just add abit of adjustability, stiffness, better brakes/brake options and i have about 7 sets of 5x114.3 wheels laying around and can get 5x114.3 to 5x120 spacers from a freind for cheap if i can switch to 5x114.3. im reading up on ford 8.8 rears now.

the car will for sure see afew autocross events other than that a nice cruiser/ backroad blaster.

just add abit of adjustability, stiffness, better brakes/brake options and i have about 7 sets of 5x114.3 wheels laying around and can get 5x114.3 to 5x120 spacers from a freind for cheap if i can switch to 5x114.3. im reading up on ford 8.8 rears now.

the car will for sure see afew autocross events other than that a nice cruiser/ backroad blaster.

Nice that makes sense then! I thought it was getting sawblades for sure?

so i was playing around on Stuner.net since its raining and cold as hell today so i biult a R31(closest thing they have visually to the 780). hoefully once it is converted to 5x114.3 i can finally start my 3piece RX7 sawblade wheel project

Back