• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(Not*) Mediocre 242

I was thinking a loop of hose, maybe throw a fuel filter on the end clamped to something where space is available.

But both other options look good.

The plastic vent looks great since it’s push in so you won’t have to tap that hole.
But the profile of that thread in one looks like it’ll sit flush or below the rest of the trans.

I don't know why I didn't think of this right off the bat, but the 1/8" filter I use on my boost controller works perfectly. I didn't even have to tap the hole.

vB7Tlsxh.jpg

Speaking of that TKO, any idea the HP loss in the baby? I'm sure a red block isn't going to break those internals.

No idea. It feels like there's a little more drag just spinning the output shaft in neutral than the T5 had. Who knows? Hopefully my redblock won't break those internals, but I wouldn't be mad if it did.

Couple of buddies years ago who did some before/after chassis dyno work with just transmission swaps - these behind 350ish whp Camaros and Mustangs. Compared to T5, at peak about 10WHP less with the TKO/3550's and about 20WHP less with the T56 variant 6 speeds. Appears a lot of that additional 25 (TKO) to 50 (T56) lbs. is rotational weight.

I don't know why I didn't think of this right off the bat, but the 1/8" filter I use on my boost controller works perfectly. I didn't even have to tap the hole.

Suggest some Loctite "green" bearing retainer for your filter/breather. Might feel OK now, but with temps & resultant expansion, it would be free to move. That is, unless you have an interference fit.

Couple of buddies years ago who did some before/after chassis dyno work with just transmission swaps - these behind 350ish whp Camaros and Mustangs. Compared to T5, at peak about 10WHP less with the TKO/3550's and about 20WHP less with the T56 variant 6 speeds. Appears a lot of that additional 25 (TKO) to 50 (T56) lbs. is rotational weight.

That's pretty significant. Looks like I'll have to turn up the boost.

Suggest some Loctite "green" bearing retainer for your filter/breather. Might feel OK now, but with temps & resultant expansion, it would be free to move. That is, unless you have an interference fit.

Yes, thanks. Luckily it's a pipe thread, so it's in there tight. I'm not worried about it coming out at all.

So I set the throwout bearing and put the TKO in without any drama really.

7IoZWeQh.jpg

However, when I tried to put the transmission crossmember in, I realized I have some work ahead of me. The TKO doesn't fit the crossmember I made for the T5 at all.

The mount hits the flanges on the crossmember, so the transmission isn't sitting on the crossmember properly. Additionally, the mount is farther toward the rear than the T5s was.

W1qQRGVh.jpg

UlZMLSCh.jpg

LL0LSO8h.jpg

So I'll have to rework my crossmember. I will need to take some height out of the triangle section in the middle, and cut out and rebox it so I can mount the plate with holes a little farther back.

Any ideas what others have done for TKO crossmembers?

Crossmember is coming along. But that was a sketchy piece of machining. Lots of vibrations, lots of noise.

XnlysCIh.jpg

moYghyfh.jpg

F9IVBtZh.jpg

YSNSAsAh.jpg

I need to shorten the mounting plate, weld it in, and then box the rest of it. I think it'll turn out pretty well.

Planning to box the top side of the X member, or leave it "open air"? Much of the section has been destroyed with the metal removal.

Spent some time with the angle grinder and welder tonight. I think it turned out pretty well. Not as nice as I'm sure some of you could make, but should do the job and look decent with some powdercoat on it.

kZBnLMah.jpg

PTHMxB9h.jpg

zLlpNuzh.jpg

ErROX0Th.jpg

Wrq0bt9h.jpg

Back