• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1970 1800E Driver Restoration

Body has been wet sanded and buffed; trunk lid, doors, and hood are next. After that it's on to reassembly.

script>

script>

script>

script>

script>

Thanks Duder and Steve.

Continuing to pull together parts and detail used parts for reassembly. Had to run to body shop today so some more happy snaps on latest progress:

script>

script>

More reassembly prep.....

script>

All gauges serviced by Roger Patricio. Still trying to find someone who can restore the clock (I don't want to convert it to quartz). If anyone knows a reputable person for this please let me know...already got burned by one guy.

script>

This will be going in once I get it serviced and restored. Looking at a place in Lancaster PA to do the work but will inquire on Yahoo list group to see if anyone has direct experience before I mail it somewhere. Again, if anyone has personal experience with someone reputable please speak up.

Seats are torn down and webbing is on order. Already have a fresh set of reupholstered tops/bottoms thanks to 15A (Chris W.)...who was also the source of the freshly chromed front & rear bumpers. Also trying to figure out what the original color of the carpeting was...after 50 years its something like a grubby sea green color. Sending a sample to VP to see what they think it might have been.

Shouldn't the data plate have the interior / exterior color codes? With that, so should be able to match the carpet.
Gauges look great. I'm just the opposite on the clock for my 142. I would like to find somebody that can convert the original VDO unit to quartz movement. So far, no luck.
Steve

Shouldn't the data plate have the interior / exterior color codes? With that, so should be able to match the carpet.
Gauges look great. I'm just the opposite on the clock for my 142. I would like to find somebody that can convert the original VDO unit to quartz movement. So far, no luck.
Steve

Couldn't you just cannibalize a quartz movement out of a 240 era quartz clock and use that to drive the original hands?

I've got the data plate hidden somewhere that I can find it at the right time; apparently it just isn't the right time. And if there's a photo I took that has the upholstery code legible I can't find it.

Amazingly just figured out where I had the data plate stashed -329-627 LHD Black upholstery & Grey carpet

Bingo! Glad you found it.

On the clock, I've thought about it. It's pretty far down on my list......
Engine machining, head work, rear end refurb..... All on deck. Hopefully some updates to my thread coming soon.
Steve

Bingo! Glad you found it.

On the clock, I've thought about it. It's pretty far down on my list......
Engine machining, head work, rear end refurb..... All on deck. Hopefully some updates to my thread coming soon.
Steve

If you decide you want to toy around with a DIY conversion at some point, let me know. I've got a bunch of the small diameter 240 clocks (all with new caps) and may have a couple of the larger ones too.

Pecking away at reassembly. When the engine arrives it will be off to a shop to install drivetrain and get it running (I realize this is cheating....but I intend to be driving it this summer).

script>

script>

script>

script>

Radio out to Vintageblau.com for refurb.

Meanwhile pecking away on reassembly:

script>

script>

script>

script>

script>

I'm going to get "historic" NH plates which will allow me to associate old plates to the reg and use them on the car:

script>

script>

script>

script>

Last edited:
Nice crate that arrived!
Steve

Yeah; can't wait to see it in the nice clean engine bay. Thanks again to Eric and Ian for all the hassle of crating and spending lots of time figuring out how to move it from coast to coast economically (in this case via Fastenal third party logistics, which was economical and easy)

Long shot here: the 1973 Volvo accessories booklet lists a "Stereo Rear Speaker Kit" for 1800E/ES models up through 1973 but it doesn't have any photos. The catalog number is 279940-1.

Does anyone have photos of which speaker set this was?

Long shot here: the 1973 Volvo accessories booklet lists a "Stereo Rear Speaker Kit" for 1800E/ES models up through 1973 but it doesn't have any photos. The catalog number is 279940-1.

Does anyone have photos of which speaker set this was?

I think I have these in my 1800es. I'll see if I can grab a pic tomorrow.
They're little square speakers housings that sit right behind the rear seat back rest on either side of the interior carpet panel thing. Brown and black from memory, but I'll have to go get another look at them. I assumed they were aftermarket but they sure do look like they're from the 70s.
EDIT:
I think these are what mine are, I'm thinking they're the OE accessory. Could be wrong.
1973_volvo_1800es_1534900008495d565ef66eIMG_8756.jpg

Last edited:
Back