• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

66 122 - The car I shouldnt keep but like too much

Haha so cool, great news on the iPd header and sport exhaust waking the old B18 up!
When do the red Powder coated steelies go on?
I just drove to Los Angeles/SF and back in the last 3 days. The Exhaust is so damn nice but a bit too loud at times. I need to add a second muffler. I kid you not, I got 24.7mpg in 4th gear doing 80mph for 100s of miles. Car pulled 80mph going up Grapevine - huge mountain pass going into southern Ca ( goes from 0? to about 4100ft above sea level, 5% grade)

see below

I got a nice hefty solid 4:2:1 style from KGTrimning.
if this one falls apart, I'll get that

Only thing I dont like about it is how close it is to the oil filter. I do have it wrapped but I think I;ll make some removable heatshield for the filter

Props to you for all the cars you save!
Thanks
"car of the day"
Nice when you get acknowledgement for the hard work!
yeah it makes me smile.

Pfft if you only knew the truth lol.
My thoughts exactly.
Volvos to Jack's yard are as children to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.
5 go in, 1 comes out.
But on the bright side, part outs do help other cars stay on the road.
:rofl::-D
Thats true and he knows that. I usually help him sometimes and shake my head but its a necessary evil I guess. I just always give him a hard time cause thats what friends do, lol

*** **** ******* ** ** :lol:

Scored like new cocker tires (thanks to Jfry) for cheap - they even still have the little dingles on sides and bottom

I need to polish up the beauty rings and caps for them
front of my house

Kb8F0koh.jpg

Last edited:
Jack,

You were only 20 miles away and you didn't stop by.

Almost 25 mpg, quite impressive. Were those the carbs I rebuilt?

Think of what your mileage would be if you had an overdrive. You would also have less engine noise and exhaust noise!

Back in the mid 1990's, I used to drive about 1000 miles each way to Jackson Hole, WY to visit a friend who lived there in my 1968 122S with dual SU HS6s, a B20E with high compression, an Isky 71 cam and a J overdrive usually cruising around 85 mph and I got almost 30 mph even with low profile tires and large load, me at 250 lbs.

I was also carrying around my mountain bike and couple of hundred pounds of tools and miscellaneous car parts that would be hard to find in Jackson Hole along with my personal effects.

^
I was going to but ran out of time. I'll be coming back soon anyway. Uncle and cousin ate up all my time... I got there Wednesday night and left Friday morning,

That is on the carbs rebuilt by you. I retuned them after I got the exhaust put in. Work so well!!! I'll be calling you later for more parts and $

On the way back with strong! headwind and car full of stuff from parents house, got about 22/3 but I was also doing 80-85 whole time. It's actually quiet at 80mph but when I let off gas it just drones, then again I haz no insulation in trunk.
I need to take this M41 out and put my other "known good" one - This one needs reverse gear - clunks like an old pirate. Wiring hopefully this week for the OD.

I need seat back foam so BAD :( (miss you stolen package)

Installed one hubcap and four beauty rings

WGWZCt7h.jpg

0gP8Tobh.jpg

Last edited:
Well if you would have stopped by, I would have surprised you with 3 of those same hubcaps, none of them in great shape, but usable.

But you put family over me, ha. :) What kind of Volvo enthusiast are you?

Just kidding, I hope you enjoyed your visit and those hubcaps still have your name on them,
well actually they say "VOLVO" but you know what I mean.

Can you imagine a hubcap with "NxxxxxxxxxxxZ" stamped into it? It would have to be on a very large wheel!!:):)

Last edited:
Well if you would have stopped by, I would have surprised you with 3 of those same hubcaps, none of them in great shape, but usable.

But you put family over me, ha. :) What kind of Volvo enthusiast are you?

Just kidding, I hope you enjoyed your visit and those hubcaps still have your name on them,
well actually they say "VOLVO" but you know what I mean.

Can you imagine a hubcap with "NxxxxxxxxxxxZ" stamped into it? It would have to be on a very large wheel!!:):)

Jfry gave me a set yesterday. It was nice of him. I need one or two more, just depends on how much less dented they are.

Right the wheel would have to be 20 inches with a 15 inch hubcap for my name :oogle:

eo74kheh.jpg

and now with all four caps on
H0YmRuSh.jpg

damn they got a lot more scrap since i was there last time. I found a hub cap like that style. You gonna pay bwuhhahahahahaha

The one you took from me?
Cool pics of a cool car.
Thank you, I been getting lots of positive attention wherever I go

Becase it was 105F today I decided to remove the original headliner and asbestos isulation from 2/3 of the car (back for now). Cleaned off everything, stripped off adhesive residue, applied dynamat and dynaliner. Will be doing the trunk and front part of headliner soon.

headliner cut out and most of the deadener was loose already.
ClFOWLen.jpg

advesive removed
cjQHRYoh.jpg

dynamat - for sound
6TC4i3Nh.jpg

dynaliner - for heat
HQ46Kjnh.jpg

INB4 - does it make a difference - yes. I did the same thing on my 245 and when it's 100F outside I can close the windows and just have ambient air coming through the vents and be comfortable. This cuts out a lot of radiant heat

That's a good thing to do. And the headliner will still fit over the insulation.

If push comes to shove, fill a styrofoam cooler with ice, stick a small 12 v powered fan in the lid and have your poor man's AC.

... asbestos insulation? What does that look like in the amazon? Did 140s have it?

It's the black paper that's glued all over Amazons and P1800's. I have heard both: Asbestos and no Asbestos. I just replace it because it's usually disgusting and peeling off.

That's a good thing to do. And the headliner will still fit over the insulation.
If push comes to shove, fill a styrofoam cooler with ice, stick a small 12 v powered fan in the lid and have your poor man's AC.
You dont like the echo when you talk in there lol
made it a lot cooler inside. Still LOTS of windnoise

Even just the tar backed foil flashing I used in the wagon made a huge difference (on a TB budget, not a baller budget). Lower temps, lower NVH.
7/9LIFE
... asbestos insulation? What does that look like in the amazon? Did 140s have it?

It's the black paper that's glued all over Amazons and P1800's. I have heard both: Asbestos and no Asbestos. I just replace it because it's usually disgusting and peeling off.
Last year was 66 for Amazons, I imagine its the same for 1800s. I alos found that 1x1 of stock 240 deadener weighs more then stock 1x1 of dynamat stuff

Small update. Been super busy with other projects.
Got myself a Recaro seat bracket but only for the passenger side. I did install it on the driver seat but Im on the lookout for a second one. Because I'm tall and this made the seat much more comfortable.

Also got a headliner and windlace waiting to be installed
obUN2Y9h.jpg

before
5CbLg1Qh.jpg

after
PiRVplph.jpg

8zXBCguh.jpg

whats the little "spin" knob do on the bracket? - NOT the reclining one

Last edited:
Back