• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Style 42's on a 240

It is definitely easier to fit FWD wheels, and there is a huge amount of selection in the aftermarket. I tend to aim at an offset of 0 when using spacers, FWD wheels and wide tires, never get there but can get quite close.

Yeah it's lowered. Think I'm just gonna sell these and try to find something with a FWD type offset. This build is super budget so not trying to spend a bunch of money on suspension parts

Way to kill a good project people.

Stop listening to clowns who have probably never done what you want to do.

Obviously since it's been done, you can follow the Style 42 thread I posted and the outcome has been proven. Or buy different wheels. Your choice. I don't know anyone personally who has EVER relocated the rear axle 3/4 inch forward. I sure never have. But I did do some trimming inside the fender and it's needed (or fender lip rolling, your choice) if you want a lowered car with rear wheels out near the fender instead of way inside. Here's more detail on what I did: https://www.240turbo.com/volvo240mods.html#rearwheelclearance
Dave B

Obviously since it's been done, you can follow the Style 42 thread I posted and the outcome has been proven. Or buy different wheels. Your choice. I don't know anyone personally who has EVER relocated the rear axle 3/4 inch forward. I sure never have. But I did do some trimming inside the fender and it's needed (or fender lip rolling, your choice) if you want a lowered car with rear wheels out near the fender instead of way inside. Here's more detail on what I did: https://www.240turbo.com/volvo240mods.html#rearwheelclearance
Dave B

Thanks for the help! I think I'm going to give it a shot with these wheels and if they don't work I'll just find some other ones.

Thanks for the help! I think I'm going to give it a shot with these wheels and if they don't work I'll just find some other ones.

Yes do. Those are great/quality wheels, and with minimal work, it absolutely can be done, this is a prime example of how to learn new things around modifying projects. In time you?ll get used to who the ?clowns? are around here.

I certainly was not trying to say to move the axle, but the axle moves itself backwards when the car is lowered, which makes wider tires more difficult. This is a well known fact. So putting it back where it is supposed to be, in the center of the arch, is not a bad idea. Having said that, it probably does not affect your fitment, but do the math, check the link below.

An offset of 20mm on a 32mm spacer gives you -12mm. A 25mm adapter is probably a much better choice, at an offset of 5mm. That should get the job done.

My offset is about 6mm, 245/40-17 and it just barely rubs inside as well as hitting the outer fender over hard bumps (brand new lowering springs and Bilsteins) as well as a trimmed fender lip. If the axle was centered I would have no problems.

I find this helpful. It shows you what it will look like as well as the changes in the space it occupies.
https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Dave B

Somewhere there's pictures but Jacob did exactly that

https://forums.tbforums.com/showpost.php?p=4601499&postcount=2408

Somewhere there's pictures but Jacob did exactly that

https://forums.tbforums.com/showpost.php?p=4601499&postcount=2408

No, I think any of those pics are dead. A lot are missing in his thread. Too bad.
Unless they're in another thread.

Either way, I have not seen the need to move the axle forward for tire clearance in any 240 or with my current 240 running up to 235/40-17. I think Jacob was using 245s though, so that larger size could have pushed him to more extreme mods.
Dave B

For stud size on the custom adapters do you guys think I should run the stock 240 size (1/2 x 20) or the bmw size (12 x 1.5)?

I have Style 5's on my 245 (16 x 8, ET20), with 225/50R16 tires. The car is lowered on iPD springs, so not nearly as much as some of the other examples being presented here (namely Homer and Harlard's cars).

I ordered hub-centric spacers, 25mm for the back and 19mm for the front. I had to trim my rear fender lips pretty aggressively and they *still* rubbed badly around corners until I got adjustable torque rods. They don't rub now, but with the stock lower control arms, my pinion angle is off enough that I get a slight shudder from my driveshaft above 65mph.

The wheels are visibly behind the center of the wheel arch when viewed from the side, so shortening them by 15mm would help both the look and give me enough room to get my pinion angle dialed in, I just need to get my ***t together and get it done.

I ended up getting 20mm adapters in the front and 25mm rear. I also got a cheap fender roller and with a little elbow grease I got them to fit pretty nicely without messing with the axle position at all. It would definitely look nicer with the axle centered but I'm tucking tire and still not rubbing unless I jump on my rear bumper. Thought it might be helpful to let people know what worked for me.

Also - 20mm spacers makes the style 42's look perfectly flush in the front but in the rear my wheels are still a little sunk so if you want to match the front perfectly you will need slightly thicker adapters. As others have said before me anything thicker than 15mm will be much harder to fit but I was happy that I ended up going with the thicker adapters since it makes the fitment that much nicer.

49986769026_a612af095a_b.jpg

20mm all round 235 45 17

Back