• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SeanHodgins 1981 242 GLT

Okay, so after a long transport, she arrived, but not without issue... lol

Hood flipped up on the highway while on the trailer that she was moving on. Driver didn't strap it down, whatever, **** happens. I have her in my possession now, and it was a cheap tow for 550km

U3KQ4TZ.jpg

Does anyone have a coffin hood? Or maybe Ill just flat hood it. But I was really starting to dig coffin hoods. I put the piece of wood there and I was able to pop out the dent, but the hinges are so f'ed, and the hood is like a mountain range.

Broken taillight too. Little help? anyone have a spare?

A3QBQLI.jpg

First thing I did was clean all the grime off, she has been sitting for 2 years(damn time flies).

HA0gSsy.jpg

BofQUi7.jpg

xNBf6ej.jpg

I forgot I had gotten the engine all ready to pull out! Should make quick work of that this weekend so I can fix the clutch. Also going to try and bend the clutch/brake pedal box back into position instead of buying one. Anyone have a picture of a not bent clutch pedal box?

So if anyone in the Ottawa/Montreal area has some parts, I would love to get some to get this car going. I was on the lookout for a hydro clutch setup too.

I think that is just from sitting in humid weather. The car hasn't seen any salt in the last two years, it was parked at the end of a long driveway away from the road. I guess that would still be Ontario corrosion! haha The exhaust is actually in great shape and it was sitting on the ground under the car for over a year and a bit, just a bit of surface rust. You can see the downpipe in the trunk. That bare metal turbo rusted so quick. Probably should take it off and clean it, maybe coat it.

I will not give up on this car.

Ii72pHO.jpg

N1ev4bB.jpg

AygD9eI.jpg

GQRVtcF.jpg

nFv3TrE.jpg

Most of the tar stuff is gone! Only minor heat stroke today.

7zgumz9.jpg

The stuff on the tunnel is super tough to get off.

Next step is to remove the center seat support, the whole thing, get new floor pans and weld them in.

Progress is slow, but I started extending the clutch pedal to accept a hydro cylinder.

Cut it 3cm down from the shaft.

dRYSdKY.jpg

8vhZd8K.jpg

Started working a piece of 1/4" plate steel.

S6Hwe7t.jpg

ixZFyT8.jpg

47vzNTX.jpg

Snug fit.

Mgtnlls.jpg

Have to do the other end, and weld it together, with some reinforcing as well.

Finally got the engine out, the extent of the bent fork was worse than I originally thought. Look where the pivot point is(not supposed to be collapsed there).

edihXEf.jpg

I need to do the synchros on the T5, shop quoted $1300, so nope! Ill do them myself.
I'm considering putting in a stock pressure plate instead of the 3000lb one. Thoughts? I would like to drive the car, and not break it.

Also scored some RSX seats that seem to fit perfectly and easily modified for the stock location.

SR1vWRD.jpg

ygcywAK.jpg

SWZRDsF.jpg

and finally managed to get the middle support out of the car so I can start fixing the floor. I'm thinking of cleaning it up and reusing it and keeping the stock seat mounts.

Bw2cQ7e.jpg

QjzcdOu.jpg

Floor is going to be fun.

Tell me about it... The car was rust proofed too, some places just started the cancer and it continued to move, the places that were rust proofed are mint. Really annoying.

I need to tear out my carpet and check for rust and remove the sideskirts and do the same. Seeing this kind of stuff makes me nervous.

Keep courage though, it doesn't look like fun... :-(

it can be.. sheetmetal work just takes time and patience.. and if you start to loose oversight it is just snipping paper with scisscors bringing it to metal and then hammersmash the **** out of it to make it fit :D I learned to just stop watching what is still left and concentrate on the sheet im working on.. you cant speed up the process.. you just can acceppt, that your car is rusty like **** :D

Yeah, all welding work makes my head hurt when planning it out. But once I have the materials and start actually cutting and welding stuff, I start to relax.

More slow progress.

Got the pedal welded together.

WfGWOIp.jpg

Pieces Fit together nicely.

5fhpdX5.jpg

Drilled two holes and welded for extra support.

LeA0f6N.jpg

QnzsTLm.jpg

Who needs a laser cutter? I literally get everything lasercut, so I like doing stuff manually when I can.

4iiAM8a.jpg

Fzi7CdJ.jpg

UDDiMQY.jpg

Not the best welds, but they'll hold.

ddOwFDA.jpg

Religiously watching floor replacement videos on youtube, and looking for more time. Yes I still have this car.
Who knows a good sheet metal guy in Southern Ontario?

BcgpM9U.jpg

t0h4TTy.jpg

This is giving me bad flashbacks. I hate doing this kind of work. I'm not a pro by any means, but my only advice is to take it in small sections at a time. Once you finish filling in one little area, you'll be learn how to do it better for the next section. Welding is easy. Having the patience to prepare the area and shape a nice patch is what makes this take so long. By the time you have all the holes filled in, you might want to go back to your original patch jobs and redo them. It took me almost a year to get my Camaro back on the road. It looked like butthole when it was in bare metal, but after some rust converter, and ton of undercoating, you can't really tell the difference. lol

Don?t give up. Just one section at a time. I see you cut out a lot. :omg: I haven?t had to cut out inner rockers or sections of floor pans- just patches. It?s not for the faint of heart that I know. A guy I met a few years back Maciek gave me some inspiration. He started out in really rough shape with his 84 turbo. He makes it look easy though- incredibly talented. His build thread is on here somewhere.

This is giving me bad flashbacks. I hate doing this kind of work. I'm not a pro by any means, but my only advice is to take it in small sections at a time. Once you finish filling in one little area, you'll be learn how to do it better for the next section. Welding is easy. Having the patience to prepare the area and shape a nice patch is what makes this take so long. By the time you have all the holes filled in, you might want to go back to your original patch jobs and redo them. It took me almost a year to get my Camaro back on the road. It looked like butthole when it was in bare metal, but after some rust converter, and ton of undercoating, you can't really tell the difference. lol

Thanks! Yeah I hope I gain a little skill, or never want to do it again. haha In like 5 years I will hopefully have a clean shop with a lift where I can take my time, but right now its in the in-laws driveway, so I have to bring my tools there, which is making it difficult. Once the floors are in then I can bring my car over to my house, but the driveway is too sloped to do work like this.

Don?t give up. Just one section at a time. I see you cut out a lot. :omg: I haven?t had to cut out inner rockers or sections of floor pans- just patches. It?s not for the faint of heart that I know. A guy I met a few years back Maciek gave me some inspiration. He started out in really rough shape with his 84 turbo. He makes it look easy though- incredibly talented. His build thread is on here somewhere.

I tried to talk a guy I know into doing it but everyone is super busy, including myself. He gave me some good pointers so I'm a little more confident on the inner rockers(that was my main concern/confusion where to start). I figure once I'm in there with a hammer and some metal it should go pretty well. I have 4 new floor pans but they don't extend under the seats so some custom stuff will happen there also.

Back