• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 LH 2.2 (1988 245): Jumping the pump causes sparks

vovo240740

Hello all, this is my first post on this website, sorry if a thread already exists but I can't find a similar one.

After troubleshooting why my 88 wagon won't start, I narrowed it down to the fuel system. I have spark and compression and it even starts on starter fluid. The issue I'm having is the main 25a fuse that is located next to my coil keeps on blowing when trying to start her.

I tried to jump the fuel pump but im unable to because it sparks and shocks me, I actually got 3rd degree burn on my fingers when i tried this. Yes I am jumping the proper fuse ( 4 to 6) and it worked for a few days but now it's impossible to because of the clear problem that happening.

My main question is, why can't I jump my pump anymore and do i need to get new pumps, or is there an electrical gremlin in my fule system that is causing my pumps to fail or not even get activated.

I replaced my fuel relay and didn't help.

how to I test my fuel pumps to see if they work?

thanks for the help fellow reblock enthusiasts :cool:

You could measure the current the pump is drawing.
Or unplug the pump in the back and see if it still blows the fuse.

If it blows the fuse when you plug the pump back in that would indicate your pump has stained it's sheets.
Pull it and test it?

Be sure check or replace any fuel filters

Last edited:
I tried to jump the fuel pump but im unable to because it sparks and shocks me, I actually got 3rd degree burn on my fingers when i tried this.

It's highly doubtful you have a 3rd degree burn from jumping the fuel pump.
1st degree burn(3rd degree burn goes thru the skin to the muscles and/or bones) ?

Also careful creating large arcs around any possible fuel leaks.

Last edited:
Back