• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2.4 9xx ECU vs Microsquirt

Mark G

STARTTLS
I'm making my way through a +t on my '93 245. I had originally thought that I was going to source a 967, 975 or similar ECU, ideally with a chip. After watching Kenny's videos and reading through some of his threads, I'm wondering if I should just make the leap and go Microsquirt straight away.

The car will be an occasional driver, not a daily (at least for the foreseeable future). It will have a 15G, and an e-fan setup out of a 850. Otherwise, stock.

I'm familiar with micro controllers, computer systems, logging, etc.

Anyone willing to give me the pros and cons of each, or point me to a thread that already covers this?

If you don't know the difference now, either way will be the same amount of difficulty. (Learning curve)

I like the Megasquirt solution because it is more transparent, adjustable, modifiable, and has a very active support group.

If you stick with the 2.4 you are limited by the amount and availability of info and the limitations of the system.

Since you have a pre OBD2 car you can may even pass an emissions test with a MS installed should you become encumbered by a controlled county. (I have for 5 years now.)

If you don't know the difference now, either way will be the same amount of difficulty. (Learning curve)

I like the Megasquirt solution because it is more transparent, adjustable, modifiable, and has a very active support group.

No prior knowledge of LH tuning, so no effort lost there. I'm a long time (Debian) Linux user, so all of the traits you've mentioned resonate.

Pros:
Easy to adjust
Easy air cleaner job
Loggin
Boost control
Get rid of AMM
Wasted spark
Wideband lambda

Cons
Knock sensing 404
Wiring work
Tuning work starts from zero

Yes, boost control is one of the most desirable parts. What do you mean by "easy air cleaner job" and "knock sensing 404"?

404 = (page) not found. And I suppose easy air cleaner job means you can slap a cone filter directly on the turbo if you feel like it (since you don't have to worry about the AMM).

You will learn more about engine management with msns, it's really no contest, I don't see why all the lh tuning with every bit of ms info you need for a Volvo is on this site, for a decade now

Don't even consider a MSNS. <<<<DarkAges

You want MS2 hardware and MSExtra firmware or better yet a MS3.

Be aware that the hardware comes from B&G, but the firmware B&G offers is older than MSNS.

With a MS2 You don't get logging unless you have an attached PC, MS3 will self log to a SD chip.

DIYautoTune is one stop shopping and ninja fast shipping on "in stock" items.

Update firmware before you start tuning as some DIY units come with very old MSExtra firmware installed.

I haven't had any trouble tuning LH 2.4. I appreciate retaining all the stock stuff and not having to rewire the car. If your car is more of a project/fun car than mine that might not be as much of a priority. OttoB covered the costs and benefits pretty well, I'd say.

Msns, 200$ does all u need, ms3x if you want to spend the $$, but 200$, use to be 145, will get it done with boost control, flat shift, table switching, cop with a vr circuit, or get the 3.0 for more but could be upgraded. Many v2.2 cars made easy good power through the years.

Do not buy a v2.2 board. Or a MS1. It is prehistoric and ancient tech. No ignition output provisions (it was made for fuel only installs), does not support MS2 features, noise issues, no upgrade path, etc.

Even the MS2 is at the end of it's development, it's memory space has been maxed out, no further features will be added. This is not a bad thing though as incremental updates and bug fixes will still happen. And of course you can always write your own code or modify existing code and compile your own firmware, all the tools are easily availlable. You just can't sell or distribute it due to licensing restrictions.

Back