• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Aggressive Turbo Cam

If you are considering a 531 head. I would save the money and instead spend it on getting at least a larger exhaust valve and flow work done on a 530. You will gain more benefit from that than just switching to a head with larger ports but no flow work and a small exhaust valve.

Oh, I read on another thread that 531 was better than a ported 530. With what you all have said in mind are the valves the same for 530 and 531? I’m asking because I could potentially get a cheap 530 head, do valves and port work, and then throw those valves on a 531 head once I can afford it

Valves are the same in both heads. A 530 with flow work done and a larger exhaust valve will be better than a stock 531. I've had flow work done on a 531 and that turned out to be only a small amount better than having the work done on a 530. Sure it's a slightly better head to start with. But they are not easy to find and having the improvements done on an easily available head will give you the performance improvement you are looking for.

Even better is to go larger with both intake and exhaust valves. The stock seats can handle a 46mm intake and a 38mm exhaust. But speaking from my own experience just flowing the head even with keeping stock valves made a nice improvement. So I would have the head flowed at a minimum but an exhaust valve upgrade and flow work is the most affordable upgrade of improvement vs money spent.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what cam my car likely has stock? I'd like to compare it to some of those other ones on the big cam chart before making my decision and don't really feeling like pulling the VC right now. It's a 1992 244 base model and it originally came with an automatic. It's a US spec model with no EGR and the block has an "R" printed on it that's spaced away from the "B230F" print. Not sure if any of those details make a difference. If there is no way of knowing what cam I have without pulling the VC, I'll just pull the VC...

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what cam my car likely has stock? I'd like to compare it to some of those other ones on the big cam chart before making my decision and don't really feeling like pulling the VC right now. It's a 1992 244 base model and it originally came with an automatic. It's a US spec model with no EGR and the block has an "R" printed on it that's spaced away from the "B230F" print. Not sure if any of those details make a difference. If there is no way of knowing what cam I have without pulling the VC, I'll just pull the VC...

All US 240 B230's got the M cam.

Mine do every day they get driven. n/a V15 cam loves 1500-5k rpms and I'd go higher if it wasn't in a 430k mile engine. The turbo has a relatively newly built head and goes to 6k quite often while it's being driven.

Last edited:
I found a ENEM C2 cam for a good price, anyone have any experience with it? I think if I get it I'd get another 530 head and do stiffer springs, retainers, and a port job. Also plan to run GT35 turbo & eventually turn the rev limit up some. Maybe would do bigger valves at the same time.

Too much overlap to be a good turbo performance cam in my opinion. Typically when you tell enem you want a turbo version of one of their cams. They grind your cam with less overlap for turbo use. Like the difference between a V15 n/a cam vs a V15 turbo cam. The overlap is 109 vs 112 respectively. Even when Hank Scorpio bought a K15 it had less overlap for the turbo version.

Oh alright, thanks. I'm gonna spend some time to properly research cam angle and lift so I can figure out exactly what I need rather than just looking at the cam "stage"

It's a good rule of thumb for turbo version cams. But the stages like for the chart for enem cams is typically about the same. Like the C2 cam. You could probably have them grind it for less overlap for turbo use. It's done to help optimize the flow differences from n/a to turbo use.

Another good rule of thumb is to always use the least aggressive of a cam that will accomplish your goals.

Why is it better to use the least aggressive cam that will accomplish my goals? Efficiency?

Why is it better to use the least aggressive cam that will accomplish my goals? Efficiency?

Drive ability. The proper cam will have the power you want up top. But the engine will have a power band that you can enjoy. Unless peaky race only performance is what you seek. I figured you want a powerful fun but street useful engine.

Back