• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ford 4.9 in Volvo 245

MasterPratt

A little background I have a 77 245 which has had issues with the whole K Jet for awhile (finally figured it out the last owner tore apart the fuel distributor) anyway I bought this thing for $200 without a shifter in it. Put in some shifter I found on etsy and finally got the b21f running right. This thing is fun even though its stock. Now a couple days ago I bought a 84 f150 with a damaged timing gear. Ordered a cam and have a spare turbo laying around so I figured why not build the old 300 a little bit. Now I'm thinking why not put that in the Volvo. So my idea is have the 300, the 4 speed, and the 9 inch and put it all on the Volvo. I would like input on this idea maybe some helpful resources (i.e. engine mounts, experiencing). I have no problem cutting up the Volvo to make it work. As much as I want to restore it there are more holes in that poor thing then a "Dont shoot this sign" sign at a unmonitored shooting range.

Love the idea. And a Ford 300 is the only thing even close to as reliable as a redblock. I can't offer assistance but good luck

4.9 is quite a bit longer than a Redblock as well I believe.

People put volvo straight sixes in there, but the B6304 is built to have a small footprint.

I would definitely spend some time with a tape measure before pulling anything apart. Those 300's can make a mountain of torque, but they run out of steam pretty quick. Just make sure it suits your driving style. I'm partial to underpowered, higher revving motors. I feel like I'm just getting every last bit of power out of it all the time, and still not breaking the speed limit! lol. :rofl:

Totally do able. I put a 590 in mine fit like a charm. With honestly plenty of room. You could try and make motor mounts that still use the subframe , but I just used motor plates. Mid plate goes between engine and trans and is welded to the firewall, front plate I welded tabs on the cars frame and front plate bolts to those tabs and the front cover. That part is easy. As far as your 9 inch goes that’s a bit more fab work but you’ll need a jig to narrow it. If you want to use factory suspension and mounts pretty easy if you want to do something better or different let your imagination take the wheel it’s only metal don’t be scared, unless of course this is your daily than don’t do any of what I’m saying lol .

It works lol. Can't wait to see it in action.

OP, you may be blazing a new trail to a point. The LS swap has a lot of parts available, and the old school 5.0 swap is well documented, I don't know if anyone makes useful stuff for the 300 swap though.

Like to see it done. I wanted to put a 300 ford in a 69 mustang body with a turbo. Never happened, I have had alot of those ford trucks threw the years. My favorite was 65 ford with 240 which is quite like the 300 but shorter stroke. That thing would rev to the moon. It would go anywhere a 4 wheels drive would go. It had 3.90 gears. Anyways keep us posted. There is some info of even putting higher flow head on it if you dig

Did some measurements today and there will be some mild cutting to be done. That was expected. Installing the new cam in the old 300 with the turbo sometime this week when I'm not at work. It definitely looks like this will be one of those several month projects to the swap will be put on the back burner until I move here in the next few months. Now to figure out transporting 3 vehicles across north America lol.

Back