• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

K or VX cam in a NA B230F? (2010 bump)

How much can you skim of the head before you need to worry about the timing belt being too long? - getting some new valves put in & was going to get the head skimmed to tidy it up for the MLS gasket. Now wondering whether to up the compression a bit at the same time.
Tim

We have about 0.100" off our head with a 0.036" head gasket. We have a -1 tooth belt installed, and it's TIGHT. If you're not in that ballpark, the regular belt should suffice. I have seen tensioners where the center hole is smaller/larger than others, and this will affect how much adjustment you get out of it.

Watch out using a MLS gasket, the stock turbo pistons may stick up out of the block!

Are you saying that the piston may hit the gasket?
I'm using a B200 so have the opposite problem! The bore dia is now approx 90mm; gasket dia 92mm & the head 94mm.
I had the block decked so my pistons stick up 13 thou (was 6 thou) so if that's not what you meant I may have a problem.
Tim

Out of curiosity, do you know where they have it set? Any chance you think you might get it on a dyno one day?

Hi, yeah they advanced the cam 4 degrees and there is a chance it may end up on a dyno in the future. There is a dyno shop down the road from my home that I should have had my car tested at prior to the mods.

Are you saying that the piston may hit the gasket?
I'm using a B200 so have the opposite problem! The bore dia is now approx 90mm; gasket dia 92mm & the head 94mm.
I had the block decked so my pistons stick up 13 thou (was 6 thou) so if that's not what you meant I may have a problem.
Tim
You're fine, just make sure you're using a stock headgasket or similar thickness. You likely won't want to run a .036" MLS gasket as you'll only have .023" of clearance between the pistons and the cylinder head. The general rule of thumb is to run .028" or more as long as it's less than .040" to maintain the benefits of them being close - good quench/squish. I know people have run tighter without issues, but, it's better to be a little farther than maybe have an issue!

Hi, yeah they advanced the cam 4 degrees and there is a chance it may end up on a dyno in the future. There is a dyno shop down the road from my home that I should have had my car tested at prior to the mods.
Sweet! I'd love to see what it does at some point. Regarding pre-mod numbers, you're probably looking at between 75-105whp depending on what camshaft was in it(B?), general state of tune/condition and if automatic or manual. My completely stock '91 244 with an automatic and V15 cam did 94whp.

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=337956

Post in the "Wanted" section. One will rear its ugly head.
I looked at the last page and couldn't find the post you referenced, until I looked on the first page, hah. It was from 2017 so who knows if he's been back. I'll add that the VX is a newer profile camshaft with similar performance to the A and a better idle. I'd probably want the A for performance, as long as you don't have extremely stringent emissions testing. Even with it, it's probably fine. But, like Shoestring would tell anyone, the V makes for a nicer cam than the A.

Werd. A MAF wants as much lobe seperation as you're willing to give it. Ask any Tuned Port guy from the 80's.
Does a larger plenum after the MAF help with the increase in intake volume? I guess that might also make the engine management would respond slower. Meh.

Dude I have had a mental wrestling match with plenum sizing for a very long time. It seems more definitive in a turbocharged application. In an injected N/A application, I've read a ton of theories, but I haven't really seen anything that makes me say "Aha. This is what I've been looking for." I can specifically remember one example that said something like "anywhere from 300 to 3000cc plenum size", which didn't really make sense to me.

If you've got some real info on this, I've love to look at it.

Back