• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project BPU! DD 945 turbo

That is indeed interesting that with the increased flow from double the boost, the open downpipe makes such a minor difference. So much for getting a ton of HP out of an exhaust.

I'm hesitant to throw out sweeping predictions now (hah, burned twice already!), but I'm thinking that perhaps with some tooning, the power out the top will separate more. holding on to 20ish whp out the top isn't bad, but it's not particularly amazing either. Of course, toonin' will also improve the power with the full exhaust as well, so maybe not. It's twice made me a liar, so I'm not too keen on making predictions right now lol

I'm trying to work out a way to see how the intercooler is holding up, thinking about using a microsquirt as a data acquisition box (instead of coolant temp, have it get pre and post IC IAT's, that sorta thing), could probably use a couple inputs to compare pre and post map readings (more for consistency of data. I could also move the dyno's map sensor to pre-turbo and see what's really going on over 2 runs).

I do also need to spend the time and build a p&p harness for it before I stray too far from stock, it's been a long time since I've updated my stock lh base map.

T cam needs to go bye-bye ASAP. That thing is a major, major chokepoint.
But, what about checking the valve adjustment, setting it tighter and retarding the cam 4? first? Hah! I would, but that's maybe a bit excessive at this point. Might as well, yes, just toss in an IPD Turbo cam.

hard to do cam timing changes without the ol adjustable gear lol. anyone got one for sale?

What the people really want to know is T cam vs. M cam.

(I'm the people)

Folks on here like to talk about putting a T cam in an NA car like it's some kind of secret upgrade but looking at what my dad and I have measured for both I really can't see how the M wouldn't be a mild upgrade from the T.

Or just throw an IPD Turbo cam in there and be done with it. That would be good too.

:omg: Wow! That?s a deal! I just wish they had space for washers behind the adjustment bolts to prevent digging into the aluminum.

What the people really want to know is T cam vs. M cam.

(I'm the people)

Folks on here like to talk about putting a T cam in an NA car like it's some kind of secret upgrade but looking at what my dad and I have measured for both I really can't see how the M wouldn't be a mild upgrade from the T.

Or just throw an IPD Turbo cam in there and be done with it. That would be good too.
An M would be an upgrade for a turbo car, but so mild that is it really worth swapping? Where as the T in an NA car makes it a ?torque monster? at lower rpm. So, for those that have an auto, or tow, or never rev past 5k rpm, it?s better. My ?87 244 auto did a 17.3 instead of a 17.6 with a T cam shimmed tight and retarded 4 degrees compared to a similarly setup M.

Didn't Nick mess with cam timing on the Dyno? Think he ended up with straight up making the most power
Yes, with a B cam in a basically stock NA setup. That doesn?t mean it?s the best for every setup and cam, though.

:omg: Wow! That?s a deal! I just wish they had space for washers behind the adjustment bolts to prevent digging into the aluminum.

I was on the first group buy and mentioned that issue. He eventually sent me special washers for those slots.

Do you have an NPR intercooler on hand for the upgrade?

If not, PM me (I have one).

I don't. Haven't quite made up my mind about how I'm going to handle the intercooler upgrade :)

gonna try the ol tune-ero first, just gotta get time. two swarms in two days have kept me out of the shop when I normally would've had plenty of time

wow. a month.

I have not had a chance to do much with this (or any of the other projects, ran into a small problem with the gold car and that's about the last time I turned a wrench on anything gas powered). hopefully I can get the lh tuning stuff plugged in for a weekend zoom sesh

Last edited:
whew that was a fast month of little to no car activity. I would've thought I'da had an abundance of time to play with toys in the shop, so far.. well.. that's a story for another place.

I'm gonna see if I can get it set up to tune for the zoom-meet to have something interesting and yet quiet on the rollers (my other options are not evening-safe: the gold car, or tom's white 300 with open longtubes)

On a slightly different note, I was contacted by a company to do some product testing and reviews, I'm sure many of yall will be familiar with them: https://www.maxpeedingrods.com/

specifically, these guys:
https://www.maxpeedingrods.com/Volv...le-H-Beam-Connecting-Rod-Conrod-Con-Rods.html

I gotta track down a suitable replacement bottom end for the black car (it's got the slappy slappy, no sense in wasting good rods in worn bores) to install those in. As part of that deal, there will be a detailed writeup and lots of pictures. I may reach out to yoshifab and see about getting his magic touch done on an engine I've got sitting in the corner (sleeved back to stock and stock replacement forged pistons), or I may dial up a used lower mileage unit and call it a day. I may do both since I have a habit of breaking things, and an extra setup in the corner might not be the worst idea. could always use it with the gold car as well. hmm. stop that.

Heck I'm already doing that, Maxspeed rods at 20psi! :cool:

They were cheaper and quicker that getting the old rods re-bushed.

I found some real bad poo poo on the old rods (I don't know who made the old rods, H beam shot peened ARP bolts), the bushing holes were bored so rough in the rods there were voids behind the bushing, which may have contributed to their being oversized. Crappy tooling, worn cutter, high feed rate, non-precision MFg, etc. They all seem to use a non-standard bushing that has to be custom made.

So have them send you an extra rod for destructive testing.... Push the bushing out and see what the hidden machine work looks like.

Last edited:
yeah I have every confidence they'll work out great. may have sourced an engine somewhat locally, waiting to hear back on mileage, etc.

Back