• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

850R, born to be mild

Lets say that for the purposes of pub based bragging I wanted to hit 400 bhp.

What would be the turbo most suited to this - a 2871? Something a little larger?

Depends, GT or GTX? My GT2871R with a 56-trim compressor and .64ar hotside he mathed out to around 400-450 crank in the B230FT. A smaller GTX should be able to do the same.

Is there a big difference between the GT and thr GTX?

I was debating the APT turbo manifold, has anyone any experience of it?

Yeah, pretty good difference between the two. Ballpark idea is you can step down 1 size going with a gtx vs. a gt.

I've heard froma few folks that have run the ATP manifolds, even George at ATP had one on his V70.

are you talking about ATP's log manifold? If you really want to hit around 400 I'd be looking into a nice tubular manifold, I think a few people on here made them for a while?

are you talking about ATP's log manifold? If you really want to hit around 400 I'd be looking into a nice tubular manifold, I think a few people on here made them for a while?

+1. No experience with the ATP manifold but my untrained benchrace eye says no to the design. S60R mani looks better to me. Not 2 cylinders at 90 degree angle into the collector, two opposing each other and a 3rd very short one. At least the S60 mani has pretty smooth transitions and bends.

Keen to avoid exhaust gas leaking from a poorly sealing turbo to manifold joint, and not sure how the Volvo one would get on with a Garrett.

Keen to avoid exhaust gas leaking from a poorly sealing turbo to manifold joint, and not sure how the Volvo one would get on with a Garrett.

It's as simple as milling the hump flat, and using a copper-plated gasket. Make sure to gasket match the flange hole. That's how we do up our manifolds in the Redblock world...not sure how well a GTX would fit, as they are significantly larger than the TD04HL...I know of plenty of people that have put 20Gs on stock manifolds so firewall clearance may not be a huge issue.

Milling the flange flat is an option, or use a 'thick' volvo style gasket (T3 bolt pattern with big hole that fits around the step). Latter is not ideal but I used it too (even made a batch of those flanges but forgot where I put them atm).
For my 240 I ground the flange flat with a belt sander. That was in 2009, still working good on my DD.

edit: love the bikes.

pub based bragging

Dangit img code didn't work -_- http://www.memes.com/img/67455

Anyone remember my car stopping when it got really hot? It's at the mechanics at the moment, he left it idling for three hours as a test, ECU got to 67 degrees with the car sitting there at 800rpm, this was in ambient temps of ~6 degrees.

He reckons the ECU was getting way, way too hot and was crashing, so he's fitted an over-ride switch that brings the fan on (which he usually fits for trackday use) that can be used to turn the fan on in traffic.

Thanks! It's a work in progress - all the little parking dings are being pulled out, it's being repainted where it's got deep scratches, leather is being re-dyed etc etc. Goal is for it to look as close as possible to how it would (maybe how it should) have rolled off the showroom floor.

Back