• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Turbo cam in NA b230f?

It helps a bit with low end torque. Kind of wakes the engine up off the line. It won't fix the problem with the M where it doesn't like anywhere above 4K.

Last edited:
UK market 740 turbo would have an A cam so much better than the M cam. If US market were fobbed off with the T cam then its not worth bothering with

I doubt you'll notice a difference. I certainly wouldn't spend any amount of money on it, or even the valve cover gasket if the cam were free.

You'll need to go the A/B cam route to notice a difference, and even then on its own it's not a barnstormer.

I barely noticed a little more low end torque when I did it. Not worth it if you have to pay anything for the T cam IMO.

Get an A or B cam if you are looking for a better cheap cam. They both work well with automatics. Plus you will have better highway cruising power.

I thought mine helped. I'd say butt dyno +5%. I'm going to try advancing it 5 degrees and see what happens

I’ve run a T cam in my manual N/A 90 245 for about five years now, it’s a hoot. Lots of off-the-line torque. I pulled away from a stock auto 90 745 turbo on a rolling 40-60 highway pull, almost an entire car length (before his turbo began making boost and pulling away from me).

The higher compression N/A motors make good use of a T cam, which (I’ve been lead to believe anyway) was designed to help maximize power before boost occurred in a lower compression turbo motor.

Timed straight up using healthy flow-matched injectors, 91+ octane gas from a fresh ECU reset and you’ll enjoy it, definitely a worthwhile yet inexpensive upgrade.

Last edited:
You can pretty much get a T for peanuts. Personally I would go right for an A and an adjustable cam gear. Advance it a few degrees to move the power band lower and you are golden.

Well the turbo at the junkyard that I was going to steal the cam out of didn't have a head by the time I got there. :/

I will need to be quicker on the pick a part searches!

If I want to find a better slotted cam for a NA car, what cars/years specifically should I keep an eye out for?

You probably want to look for the A cam because that was used in head mounted distributor cars. So there is a lot of them out there. You can also look around for one from a Penta engine. Penta engines used A or V cams depensing on the type of engine. But it may not be slotted if it's from a Penta that is older pre 740 car engine production.

Most any new aftermarket cam is ground on a slotted blank so there is that path as well. A reground cam it's hit or miss. I'd make sure the vendor knows your needs. I use enem V15 in both of my signature cars. Not an economy price to buy but they are a great product worth every penny. Both of my cams were slotted from enem.

You probably want to look for the A cam because that was used in head mounted distributor cars. So there is a lot of them out there. You can also look around for one from a Penta engine. Penta engines used A or V cams depensing on the type of engine. But it may not be slotted if it's from a Penta that is older pre 740 car engine production.

Most any new aftermarket cam is ground on a slotted blank so there is that path as well. A reground cam it's hit or miss. I'd make sure the vendor knows your needs. I use enem V15 in both of my signature cars. Not an economy price to buy but they are a great product worth every penny. Both of my cams were slotted from enem.

I'm pretty sure if I order a cam from Sweden my wife will divorce me. What sort of years/models should I keep an eye out for to get an A cam? Im guessing 740s, right? did 24x models have head mounted distributors? I can't imagine there is enough room between the head and the firewall.

Unemployment sucks.

:e-shrug: you'll save $ by keeping the foot off the pedal and keeping the eco-friendly M cam

Keep in mind when you swap cams you'll probably have to reshim, which will be more money to track down the right shims. And a valve cover gasket... and maybe rear plug seal while you're in there... just thinking out loud

Back