• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

@Volvbro's 1992 Volvo 240

volvbro

Hi all,

I picked this car up in August of 2018. Like the title says, it's a 1992 Volvo 240. Its silver on charcoal with an M47. IIRC it has roughly 235K on it. The interior is in fairly good shape, with really the only downfalls being the plastic and displays in the center console.

lrHYQ1fl.jpg

I bought this car from my relatives. It was my cousin's first car, but he moved to Norway years ago. His father (my uncle) grew up racing Saabs and Volvos. At one point he was being sponsored by Firestone and his 740 was actually in one of their print ads, but I digress.

g0vA1v6l.jpg

The car had been well taken care of, or at least as much as a 90's kid could have for a first car. My cousin had installed iPd sway bars and iPd springs, but the springs are virtually useless because he had cut the rear ones so far he needed to install hockey pucks on the bottom of the spring so the car wouldn't bottom out all the time... Needless to say the suspension will be getting a full refresh. But, this is a project car restoration so that is to be expected.

514g0BTl.jpg

Last summer, I pulled the motor to do a bit of maintenance and replace the oil pan. I replaced the oil pan and gasket, the oil pump o-rings, the timing belt and accessories, and the water pump. Due to a faulty starter, the car failed to start. I replaced the starter with a "known good unit" (not). This lead to hours of diagnosis without any luck.

qEw3FdUl.jpg

Finally, today I went out and bought a brand new unit. Lo-and-behold, she started cranking. After cranking over and building oil pressure, we hooked up the fuel pump fuse and let her rip. Unfortunately, one of the fuel lines had rubbed on the sway bar and sprung a leak so we had to fit some new line but once that was squared away, the motor fired up after fuel pressure had built up.

g25TfAJl.jpg

At this point, there is a lot that needs to be replaced. BUT the car is running so I'll go from there. I have a lot of awesome parts for the car and some pretty fun plans for it, but I'll make sure to keep you all updated when those plans are underway. Feel free to follow the progress on Instagram @volvbro, I am fairly active on there.

If you've made it this far, thank you for reading! I'd love to post pictures if I knew how. If anyone has any tips, LMK!

Last edited:
Welcome! I use Imgur. Upload the image to Imgur, double click the image so it fills the screen, on the bottom right select large, then copy the url labeled BB link, paste here.

Updated first post with pictures.

This past Sunday I went out and worked on the car, buttoning odds and ends up to get the car ready to roll under its own power. I hooked up the propeller shaft, replaced the transmission mount, got the motor mounts in place and bolted up, filled the motor with coolant, and put some interior pieces back together. Unfortunately, the main water pipe coming off the water pump to the heater core sprung a pinhole leak just below the third runner on the exhaust manifold. All that's left is fix that leak, source a MAF, source a clutch return spring, and fill the trans with transmission fluid.

I bought 75-90 gear oil, is that fine? I just want to make sure I'm filling the tranny with the correct fluid.

Reviving this thread!

The car is almost all back together at this point just about ready for its maiden voyage. However, I cam across an issue. I ordered calipers (mine were all seized) from Rock Auto and when they arrived, I noticed they had two inputs for brake lines, each. The issue I'm facing is that I only have one brake line per corner (front). Is there a way I can plug one of the inputs and still use these calipers? Or am I SOL? My car has ABS from the factory if that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance!

You bought non-ABS calipers when you need ABS is what it sounds like. You could make a Y brake line setup to use them but i'd just send em back and get the right calipers. The pre-abs setup is a pain to bleed.

Back