• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Moving cross-country -- trailer or roof rack

I'm still sorting and getting rid of stuff but this looks pretty reasonable to me. I have overload springs I'll be installing in the rear before the trip -- new tires, struts (KYB), HDs in the back.

I am a bit worried about a trailer heading out of CA with the windy roads but I think I'll just have to get over that. I wonder if there are any winds on that trip that compare to the winds in TX that people keep mentioning.

Sounds like it will be well set up then.

You probably already know this; just get used to the feel of the rig and how it handles. And give yourself plenty of space and room to stop. Practice a few emergency stops.

Good luck with the trip.

Practice a few emergency stops.

People need to do this more. Any time I get a new car, new tires, or am on unfamiliar terrain (ice, snow, etc), I find an empty road and measure my stopping distance. It truly shapes how you drive when you are aware of how long it takes to stop in a given scenario.

If i could get by with putting stuff on roof. Id go that route. If not, a 10' enclosed trailer isn't that big of a deal for a 240.

I've moved across the country a couple times, doing it myself. Not in a Volvo but a 1994 2wd Toyota pickup with camper shell which is basically a Volvo station wagon from Japan. Your car will handle better with more weight if you use a trailer. If you stuff the car to the max, it will not handle well on curvy roads, in the wind or on bumps. If you move the same amount of weight to the trailer, in my opinion, it is a much safer, better handling experience in all of those conditions. Just don't get greedy and max out your car, then max out the trailer. You could buy a Harbor Freight Trailer for under $400 and sell it when you get to your destination with a minimal loss. Uhaul has small open trailers that are good but some don't let you do one way. Sure, parking takes more planning. If I were planning to go through bigger cities where I had to navigate congested roads and try to park, that might change my mind but just getting across country and sticking to rural/suburban areas, trailer all the way. A cargo box on the roof might be good for bedding, clothes or other bulky, lightweight stuff. If you minimize and pack well, you might be able to sleep in the car.

Plan B:If you can get the funds, buy a used pick up and a used car trailer in No. California; use them to travel cross -country, then sell the truck and trailer in South Carolina.

Hell, you might break even or eke out a small profit.

In my moves I considered this route but was spooked by the idea of trusting an unknown vehicle for a job like that. I'd consider it again but at the time, decided not to.

If i could get by with putting stuff on roof. Id go that route. If not, a 10' enclosed trailer isn't that big of a deal for a 240.
Unless you fill it with car parts and other dense things. We measured one at ~7000 lbs once. :omg:

Anything "one way" from U-Haul is somewhere between questionable and a death wish. They handle maintenance very differently for a rig that each dealer knows will never come back.

Thanks! I was thinking of going with a U-Haul trailer but I will look into maintenance issues. I know somebody selling a trailer and was also looking at the Harbor Freight trailers. I'm not sure how much I would trust anything from HF.

I'll see how much crap I can get rid of before the move and then figure it out. Thanks for all of the info!

Thanks! I was thinking of going with a U-Haul trailer but I will look into maintenance issues.

Oh, I should have clarified, the maintenance issues I've experienced were for one-way trucks. And afterward, I discovered through the magic of the Internet that I'm hardly alone. I can't imagine a trailer maintenance issue being anywhere near as severe as front brakes vibrating violently down a mountain grade. (And I told the guy where I returned it, but he literally just waved me off and said, "No problem, it'll be fine!" Translation: "not my problem, that thing will be outta here very soon.")

I know somebody selling a trailer and was also looking at the Harbor Freight trailers. I'm not sure how much I would trust anything from HF.

Agreed, I'd trust a U-Haul trailer before anything from HF. Take a good luck at the tires before you sign the final rental papers, to at least find out whether they've got decent tread, and you'll probably be fine.

Unless you fill it with car parts and other dense things. We measured one at ~7000 lbs once. :omg:

Anything "one way" from U-Haul is somewhere between questionable and a death wish. They handle maintenance very differently for a rig that each dealer knows will never come back.

Sure if you do things wrong it, it can turn into a bad situation. news flash!!!

I've never had a problem with a uhaul trailer. I usually get the insurance and do a quick inspection before I leave.

Well, I made a decision. I am going to ship a pallet of stuff via FedEx and try to just get rid of the rest. I'm sure I will be taking some stuff in the car/on top as well but it will make the trip a lot easier. And sleeping in the car will be an option as well. Thanks!

Moving cross-country with your furry friend and your trusty 240 wagon sounds like quite the journey. I faced a similar dilemma when relocating from Oregon to Georgia. Since it's 2024 now, I'd recommend checking recent reviews and forums for updated advice. You might discover new products or insights that weren't available before.

Back