• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

NA cam

What's the best cam for NA 1985 b230? And what models did this cam come on.
I'm sure this has been asked tons of times

Thanks
Jack

I used a K cam for several years (91 B230f) I finally got tired of its' bad manners creeping along in traffic.
I swapped in a B last Summer and like driving the car a whole lot more.

I have to disagree on the H cam.

Spec on my old 240 was B21 on K jetronic, 2.25 inch stainless exhaust system and running on LPG. I droppedin a H cam with the impression I might have to take it out. What a suprise it was very flat for what is supposed to be a hot cam! Tick over was perfect and low speed work was fine even on LPG. LPG does not like a hot cam especially with a close centre line angle. Once you hit about 3000RPM then it did start to take off. Running that cam made me decide that something a fair bit wilder would be a nice upgrade without comprimising the engine ability to labour especialy when towing heavy loads. With a 2.3 engine a lot wilder cam could be used.

The only trouble for some of you guys would be the smog test and swapping cams to pass would be a right pita.

The A cam is very readily available in the UK but it aint any performance cam

Being in CA, don't throw away your old cam in case you have issues with smog with the new cam, you might be fine but better to be safe than sorry.

I have a B cam in Wifee's '93 245. It was a nice upgrade from the M cam and didn't cost anything.
The old stuff is getting rare so get one while you can.

Edit: B cams were in the old no turbo Kjet cars. 1982 and down. Not sure about 1983. Seems like I had one with EFI but can't remember.

I don't know how available it is there but I really like the A for a daily. Slightly better fuel economy, more mid-range power and it actually revs to around 5000 without sounding completely tortured.

I run the enem V15 n/a cam in my 93 wagon without any other mods. 4 degrees advanced. It gave a nice performance boost but still has all the good low rpm torque of stock. Makes it a good running wide power band engine. Still has good economy and i've passed emissions without any problems multiple times on a 342k mile engine.

Back