• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

limited slip differential on a non turbo 1992 Volvo 240

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg Wong said:
Hold on a sec Michael, gotta defend my technical knowledge here: I was wondering if you have to buy a new tone ring, or if there is some reason why you can't use the old tone ring. I see people mentioning buying a new tone ring, but is the old one not removable?

The gears themselves should be fine to use again.

Greg

The old tone ring can be removed, but it some applications it would require machining (in my opinion) too much material from the TrueTrac carrier. For the $55, it is not worth using the old tone ring. I have heard the ABS tone rings are large enough to re-use, but not the non-ABS tone rings.

I guess the I'm "the guy here that changed my own"? Well if I am I have a confession to make. It is actually one of my best friends that does a majority of the work if not all of it. I usually have the car eady to go when he gets here. That way all he has to bother with is the actual diff, ring and pinion change. I have swapped just diffs with no ring and pinion change though. They worked out fine and are still working. I have NEVER needed an expander thing to pull a diff out of a 240 rear end. NEVER EVER!

On a 92 240 you need to make sure you get the correct tone wheel. I have heard that there are a couple different ones for 91-93 240's. Also you will need to specify you are putting the diff in a 240 with the tone ring when ordering the diff I believe. Maybe it's already machined down?

I think the dana 30 comes on the front of the Jeep Cherokee's?

As far as the Volvo LSD go, the late model 7 series ones have given a bad rep to the earlier clutch type LSD's. I have had and used a Volvo clutch type LSD and I like it very much. So much that one is going in my driver 245ti.

My 2 cents.

Yup you are the man, I meant. When you mentioned doing your own. I recall that you said it was the older 1030 differential. No one had tried a 1031 and when reading the procedure I decided to go with the 4wd shop in my area. That's why I recommend it as not a DIY job. Even though that is much more expensive it was still a very worthy mod that will amortize it's cost well over many miles. I've got 43k on it now.

Now the Trac Tec comes in a model that is supposedly 'preloaded' according to Reiderracing and it's setup for Volvo rwd use. Nice.

Best regards,

Greg Wong said:
Hold on a sec Michael, gotta defend my technical knowledge here: I was wondering if you have to buy a new tone ring, or if there is some reason why you can't use the old tone ring. I see people mentioning buying a new tone ring, but is the old one not removable?

The gears themselves should be fine to use again.

Greg

OK, I really thought you said ring gear, and who knows, maybe you did and meant tone ring? The thing is, I didn't know what the tone ring was called before John told me recently, so if you had said tone ring, I think I would have asked what it was. :wink: I really don't remember, oh well.

Hey,

I checked out that reider racing site...they have a dana 30 rear app listed, 3.73 27 spline. I assume this is designed for the volvo rearend? I have read that 240/740 rearends are different 240 being 1030 the 740 1031...will these unit work on a 740 rearend as well? Thanks for any info.

Later, Jon

RedBrick said:
Hey,

I checked out that reider racing site...they have a dana 30 rear app listed, 3.73 27 spline. I assume this is designed for the volvo rearend? I have read that 240/740 rearends are different 240 being 1030 the 740 1031...will these unit work on a 740 rearend as well? Thanks for any info.

Later, Jon

I have one in my 740T, and it works great.

Hated to revive an old thread but I feel like this info needs a big updates since it ranks so high in google search for "volvo 240 lsd options."

The LSD listed is no longer able to be found, at least by me. What are some good options for an LSD for our 240s? I have a 1981 242 with the manual 4+OD.

Looking on the forums and online and even on ebay I was unable to find a viable option, or any option, for a lsd for my vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back