• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gathering a parts list for KJet to Carb

VolvoEmpire

I revived a 76? 245 dL got it run and drive for the first time in decades.
The kjet system however is pretty tired, lots of erratic idling not so smooth power delivery.

So rather than gathering the tools to diagnose it or throw a new set of injectors plus a fuel distributor at it I have decided I would just like to do a twin carb set up using a twin penta manifold.

so I?m Trying to gather a parts for it. I?d like to use penta equipment as much as possible because I can pluck it for really good prices from boat motors.

Looking for best options ignition timing, fuel pressure regulator, linkage and what?s a good set of modern carbs that will fit the rail for a good price. I know how to tune and jet a carb, and enough about the kjet system to install it from pieces left in a box, but any advice from people who have done similar conversions would be very welcome!

70799855_479291132801258_5650380693345611919_n.jpg

List

1. Penta intake

2. Two carbs Mikuni/solex Weber? Best recommendation

3. Ignition timing (what do the boats use)? Would a good aftermarket one be cheap and easy?

4. Fuel pressure, much lower than that for kjet like .5 bars or something?

If you are using a Penta twin carb setup. It's good to use the V cam that those Penta engins used. Single Penta carb is an A cam. But twins use a V for a bit more ooomph.

If you are using a Penta twin carb setup. It's good to use the V cam that those Penta engins used. Single Penta carb is an A cam. But twins use a V for a bit more ooomph.

Noted. It?s definitely cammed already I havnt popped it open to see what?s in it yet though. It?s an 81 mpg motor the guy who sold it to me said he had a new rebuilt head on it before he gave up on the car. Revs and idles pretty mean when it?s working well. I dont think it?s the mpg cam in there.

google: "converting k-jet to carburetor site:turbobricks.com"

Look feller, there are many ways to do it. I have googled my gaggle off. Looking for some first hand experience, to see what the best routes not using that single Weber carb kit that costs 650$ but sort of sucks.

Look feller, there are many ways to do it. I have googled my gaggle off. Looking for some first hand experience, to see what the best routes not using that single Weber carb kit that costs 650$ but sort of sucks.
Sorry if I came off as flippant, but you're asking about an unusual conversion (carbs) of what's become an uncommon system (k-jet), in the USA and for cheap $$$. This was much more common ~10 years ago, and hence the suggestion to search. You might also try searching the projects&restorations thread for similar conversions.

For fueling, you'll need a "return type" or "bypass type" regulator to drop the really high K-Jet fuel pump pressures down to the ~3psi (IIRC) needed by most carbs. Try the holley website for basic info.

For ignition, you could try using your K-Jet system with a tee'd vacuum connection between the carbs/manifolds. Running the vacuum line to a single carb/manifold probably won't work. I don't know if converting to a LH2.2 NA distributor and Chrysler ignition box would be any better than the K-Jet setup.

You will be way ahead of the game getting Kbasic working right.

The boat carbs do not work well in a car application.

Weber carb is trash.

K Basic is one of the best Volvo ever used IMO, simple and runs great once tuned up, and will continue to run in perpetuity so long as you do not let the car sit up. Drive it hard and often and it will run forever.

Sorry if I came off as flippant, but you're asking about an unusual conversion (carbs) of what's become an uncommon system (k-jet), in the USA and for cheap $$$. This was much more common ~10 years ago, and hence the suggestion to search. You might also try searching the projects&restorations thread for similar conversions.

For fueling, you'll need a "return type" or "bypass type" regulator to drop the really high K-Jet fuel pump pressures down to the ~3psi (IIRC) needed by most carbs. Try the holley website for basic info.

For ignition, you could try using your K-Jet system with a tee'd vacuum connection between the carbs/manifolds. Running the vacuum line to a single carb/manifold probably won't work. I don't know if converting to a LH2.2 NA distributor and Chrysler ignition box would be any better than the K-Jet setup.

I had a carbed p1800 with a crane cams electronic ignition system for a few years, I grew to love the ease and reliability of the system as well as the great sounds.

My plan was to see if I could match a set of nice Mikuni carbs to a boat manifold and step down the fuel pressure. I?ve seen people run b230s and b21s on carbs over youtube.. . . Hell I?ve seen people set it up on 90?s civics.

The plan is too delete the complicated and derelict system that runs the car currently all together. The thing came to me with an engine from 1981, no transmission, two wiring harness?s installed (lol) and vacuum/external component routing that sits somewhere in between the 76? and 81? systems. While I brought it back from the dead and have driven it around, I?d like to just put Frankensteined mix of early kjet and later emissions control components out of its misery.

Back