• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kenny's 1990 740 GLE, goin' for 9's

so the day started out more or less like this:
169995479.jpg

yesterday afternoon saw work on a number of fronts, but very little progress on the gold car. Last night after dinner was another story entirely.. cleaned and sealed the cam box up, dropped in the new lifters and cams, torqued everything down. there is a valve cover sitting on there, but it's mostly for moral support (and debris deflection during engine installation)

If you want to hear about almost burning the shop down with mark's wagon, that story will be in OT in the "what'd you do to your car today" thread.

169995480.jpg

I made a quick blockoff for the heater pipe, not going to plumb that in at all (may work in a coolant bleed from the back of the head where it would normally attach back up front, but we'll have to see on that). cleaned threads and installed new exhaust studs, also studded the bottom holes on the intake side. more on this later (if it in fact works the way I want it to).

hung the engine from the hoist, finished a few things up (err note to self, install last two oil pan bolts at rear of engine)

169995481.jpg

did the timing stuff and bolted on the mounts (that driver's side setup is kinda special. I'ma replace that before long. look it's the best I could do a decade ago with the tools I had, and it certainly hasn't gotten better with age), and then, fuggit, wing'd it on in'er.

169995482.jpg

upskirt view.
169995483.jpg

Still have to tigten all the trans bolts and install the flexplate hardware, and about a thousand other things, but the engine is in there. The weekend goals were loosely met, and as a bonus, other things got handled as well.

oh and on a side note: the tripod I was using for filming fell off the bench saturday morning and broke. I gotta get on amazon and get another piece of chinesium headed this way.

need two of the big ones, Harry
170004636.jpg

tool piles on the bench are growing, parts piles are shrinking, gettin' closer.

170004637.jpg

converter is bolted up, oil filters are plumbed up, all but one bolt on the trans/adapter are tight (can't quite reach that top one with the car up in the air).

test fitted the new injectors, had to move the mount point for the rail a little bit (from the top to the bottom of the bracket), but they fit well. pinched the damn o-rings like a noob, but other than that...
170004638.jpg

currently they're put back up, and the intake manifold is sitting in the washroom sink down at the house waiting a good scrub a dub dub.

I really should get a buffing wheel and polish that thing up a bit, it's taken a beating over the years.

170004638.jpg

currently they're put back up, and the intake manifold is sitting in the washroom sink down at the house waiting a good scrub a dub dub.

I really should get a buffing wheel and polish that thing up a bit, it's taken a beating over the years.

Nice log.

not exactly, but whatevs.
couple minor setbacks, all in scheduling.. got sick yesterday, so no work on my car or mark's wagon. hopefully going to be feeling well enough to go out there tonight and at least get a couple things done. cleaned the intake up, so that will probably go on the car. got a couple odds and ends in the mail, some for goldie, those may make it on the car as well. Still waiting on various other components, may do a sending unit shuffle again with the other wagon, it won't be needing it's fuel tank any time soon (but then, I'm still in need of a couple of odds and ends for the fuel system yet, so there is that). Need to touch base with greg and find out about the exhaust manifold situation.

bling bling, and what not.

despite recovering from a stomach bug, I was still able to get some stuff done yesterday.

-fixed the fuel line on marks' wagon, replaced the blown up flex fuel sensor (lol. they don't like 12v on the ground side). hopefully it didn't smoke the input on the ms as well.

-modified the intake manifold gasket, copper coated that, set that down on the head (hence the reason for the 4 studs). hooked up wiring to the starter and CAS. forgot to connect the block ground, will get that later. same with coolant temp sensor. whoops. New injectors installed in rail, rail installed on cleaned-ish intake, intake installed on car.
170013320.jpg

according to usps, my fuel sending unit should arrive today (thanks again 2manyturbos!) I may go ahead and simple green the fuel tank and get that rinsed out and drying this evening while I work on modifiying the sender for the new 525 pump..and looking to see what it'll take to run two of em in there. I have some ideas, but mainly I want to see how it's gonna fit and how the ol baffling is going to hold up to this abuse.. doesn't do me much good if I can get the pumps in there and they suck the baffled area dry when the fuel level is lower. Hm. random musings. this will likely just be a bridge I cross when I reach it, trying not to manufacture too many problems for myself right now.

oh and my cool guy tuner vent filters there rotted out, need two more ebay $3 filters (I'm postulating here, but I imagine they're not very expensive)

I've reached a weekend of "lul" in the project, there are things I can (and will) work on, but nothing really earth-shattering or time consuming. Also, the drag every 1/2 crank rotation is bothering me probably more than I should let it, but total reckless abandon is not the goal here either, so I'll probably waste a few hours, drop the subframe and oil pan, and make sure I didn't hamfist something in there.

on the flip side, I've tracked down my next fuel filter setup, the dw160 10 micron unit. 1000lph, -8 fittings. I'd been considering the OE bosch filter with requisite adapters and additional lines, but thought "wait, why would I add all that extra stuff to save a couple bucks with a somewhat unknown solution". not supremely cheap, but not terribly expensive either, given the relative costs involved. should have that next week early, same time roughly as the exhaust manifold will be finished.

also looking into making the jump to a 16v system, but that may come a little later. they say electronics work better with 16v (hotter spark, faster injector response time, fuel pumps work better, etc), so..

again, while I'm not dumping large money into the engine for this exercise, I am willing to splurge a bit on things I know will get carried forward to the wagon when it's ready.

not a whole lot to talk about from this weekend, I didn't mess with the gold car much (read: at all), in a hold-and-wait state currently with several things, progress should kick back up this coming weekend, with some other odds and ends along the way.

rest of the fittings should be en route, fuel filter I think gets here today, I'll ping greg and check. He dropped off the exhaust manifold sunday, however apparently I didn't point out the other cracks, and they weren't as noticeable. No big deal though.

I am making alternate plans for the exhaust gasket situation... 2 different vendors, 2 months apart, neither seem to be able to lay hands on parts :-/

cleaned the fuel tank, looked at the baffling in side it beginning to have doubts about my sender plans, but I reckon we'll see. since it's not a road course car, it shouldn't be as big of a deal. Could maybe get a big block of tank foam to stuff in there. The wagon will likely get a fuel cell, so perhaps this is all a moot point, but I'm intrigued with thought exercises so here I am.

Did take some time to fix a couple small issues on the new wagon.. replaced the rotten old exhaust gaskets and plugs, runs much better now. Ordered an assortment of cheap amazon boost controllers to do a sort-of 'shootout' with it (and I've been meaning to get a dyno boost controller, as it's not uncommon for folks to show up with ****ty or incorrectly installed boost controllers and not be able to up the wick reliably). May end up doing a little side-series on bpu stuff with that car, to show what works well, that sort of thing.. if time allows it.

Few wiring changes need to be handled ahead of the first start (resistor pack bypassed is one), but I'm hoping to be close to or at that point by the end of this coming weekend.

fuel filter is pretty swanky. no ragrets over my other plan, which was to use an OE filter as I'd done with the 940. too busy in the house to head out to the shop, so nothing really got done yesterday. will have time today, but not a whole lot to work on. May start mocking up the fuel system, get a head start on that.

fuel filter is pretty swanky. no ragrets over my other plan, which was to use an OE filter as I'd done with the 940. too busy in the house to head out to the shop, so nothing really got done yesterday. will have time today, but not a whole lot to work on. May start mocking up the fuel system, get a head start on that.

what's this filter look like?

it looks like purty. I'll get a pic or you can check the fb post from teusday night.

last night I let greg test fit his volvo manifold, looks awesome, fits pretty good as well. Gapped and installed new plugs, replaced the breather filters. Was shocked to see how clean the breather tank was, no cleaning necessary, woohoo!

then I spent an hour and a half fumbling around with the ptfe stainless hose and fittings.. took a while to get a firm grasp on the process, once I got that part sorted, it wasn't so bad. Main line run from rail to the back, gotta make the jumper to the fpr, and then the return to the back. yay.

the ptfe stuff is just about the only stuff I can find that seems to be really safe for ethanol. the pushloc stuff is great, but it all turned rock solid on the gold car, and the normal AN hose that I used also got hard and audibly cracked when I moved it around while taking it off the car.

I've been debating going back to ptfe fuel lines. The Aeroquip Starlite is getting really stiff after just 2 years, and that's just running pump gas.

Maybe switch to hard lines? Those nylon repair lines are usable for the flexible sections.

may do that on the wagon, we'll see. I like the idea of the lines having some give, but it's not like they flop around in free space that much during normal operation. gmail tells me that a number of things have shown up at the house, hopefully gonna be a busy weekend.

the ptfe stuff is just about the only stuff I can find that seems to be really safe for ethanol. the pushloc stuff is great, but it all turned rock solid on the gold car, and the normal AN hose that I used also got hard and audibly cracked when I moved it around while taking it off the car.

I use pfte for the feed line and rubber pushloc for the return. Going to do pfte on the return soon I removed a section of the return hose and took it off the car a few months back and it kept its shape. I was scared to look at it the wrong way..... Rock freaking hard

aiight. didn't quite get to the cranking up point, but dangerously close. It should run some night this week no problem. Short list of what's left

-connect wiring for fuel pump
-turbo & plumbing
-lower radiator hose, wp belt and coolant
-bypass injector resistors
-mount coils
-set t-belt tension
-procure battery

fuel system is all hooked up and pressure tested. fixed the leaks (I think, will double check the fittings at the tank itself, stuffed the intercooler and radiator back in (had to remember where I had the radiator mounted, it didn't want to play ball initially). Should be picking up the turbo manifold this afternoon. pics in a bit, gotta pull em over to pbase.

Back