• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

engine swap volvo 240

Wottel

=) wondering what's the best option for an engine swap in my volvo 240 with a B19A.

Whats the most practical ? :

a B230FT and put a 16 valves head on it.
or a B234 and put a turbo on it :-P

Offcourse the engine will be combined with a M90 gearbox.

Thanks !

Wottel

Are you from Europe ?

How much work you want to do , and where you want to do the work/spend the money will decide this for you

The guys are trying to tell you that an 8 valve turbo will be the easiest to adapt to your car.

A newer turbo engine from a 900 series will bolt in to your car without much work ,if any.
Then you will need an engine harness from a 240 with LH 2.4 , and use the turbo boxes from the 940

To use the 234 head on a B230 block , you have to get custom cam belt parts , tensioner etc. These parts are available from the aftermarket , or you can use Penta marine stuff for bolt-on stuff. The Penta AQ 171 used the 16 valve head on the B230 .

Either way , it will cost a bit of money. You can also do a budget job with a belt from an Opel , and a tensioner from a VW Golf mk 1.

Most B230 engines use square tooth wheels for the belt , and the 16v use round-tooth , so youll need new cam/crank gears as well...

The manifolds: No b234 turbo engine was ever built , so you will need the exhaust manifold from the ( 2 litre turbo) b204 engine , or an adapter kit to use the 90+ manifold from a b230.

Off course ,a full-on custom tube header can also be used. The intake manifold from the 234 are not considered ideal by most people ,and will be hard to fit in the 240 because of clearance problems.

Again the b204 part can be used , but both manifolds from a b204 are rare , and will cost quite a bit of money.

The b234 block wont fit in your car , right side motor mount will need to be custom made. If you solve this , there is no room for the distributor in a 240 , as it is mounted at the back of the head.

You can use a block mounted distributor on a b230 block , but not on the b234. The shaft in the block isnt there , and you cant fit one....Of course , there is wasted fire ignition without a dizzy , but again.....

You will have to do some kind of custom engine management if you go the 16 valve/turbo route , Megasquirt or something similar is the only way.

If you plan it thoroughly you should be able to swap in a b230 Turbo in a few days. Most 16 valve turbo builds will take a lot longer , and could cost you a lot more

Last edited:
yeah i'm from Europe (Belgium). So its hard to find custom pieces and turbo engines.... )=
Most of the pieces can be ordered in the states but are overprieced when shipping :-(

I dont want an overpowered 240. I will be glad when i have around 200-250 HP.
Maybe the best thing is to get a 740 with a B230FT and swap this engine in my 240. Then i have also all components and wiring. Put work and offcourse money in the engine and hopefully i will get around that 200-250 HP.

Is there any big difference in the B230FT an B23FT ?

Thanks for your help !

Wottel

The 240 LH 2.4 harness , is completely separated from the rest of the car.

In practice you change out the engine harness , and the rest of the car stays the same.

If you have a B19A now , the car is probably too old to be prepared for LH wiring inside. You will have to add 4 or 5 wires in order to make the car run.

Then theres also an issue about needing the electronic sensor in the rear axle for the speedo , which your car wont have if its from before 86. You can read a lot about this in previous threads on TB , and elsewhere.

I dont have any experience with the newer models , but have read that the engine wiring is a lot more integrated with the wiring for the rest of the car.

Do a search , many people have done all this before you.

1983 volvo 244 gl

I just bought a 1983 volvo 244 gl was wondering what would be the easiest engine to swap and add a turbo and trans.:-D:-D

I just bought a 1983 volvo 244 gl was wondering what would be the easiest engine to swap and add a turbo and trans.:-D:-D

get the turbo stuff off of a 740/940 turbo motor and put on your current motor...or install complete turbo motor into your car.

No other "easy" swaps....if you have to ask, not easy for you.

There is, they are way different in the inside and the B23FT is way more expensive to rebuild then the B230FT.

crank journal sizes---but that doesn't cost anything.
crank is steel, that doesn't cost anything.
Bearings are bearings, gaskets are gaskets, they interchange, seals all interchange...

Aftermarket forged pistons cost the same if you specify 24mm pin and 46.xx mm comp hgt or 23mm pin and 39,7mm comp hgt or get smart and go 31,7mm and 22mm pin--all the same cost

Aftermarket longer and better rods for B23 or simply better for B230 cost exactly the same..

What is it that supposedly is "way more" expensive?

crank journal sizes---but that doesn't cost anything.
crank is steel, that doesn't cost anything.
Bearings are bearings, gaskets are gaskets, they interchange, seals all interchange...

Aftermarket forged pistons cost the same if you specify 24mm pin and 46.xx mm comp hgt or 23mm pin and 39,7mm comp hgt or get smart and go 31,7mm and 22mm pin--all the same cost

Aftermarket longer and better rods for B23 or simply better for B230 cost exactly the same..

What is it that supposedly is "way more" expensive?

The pistons have been NLA forever, so you'd have to buy custom pistons.

John. Not every thread is a chance to sell some dude pistons.

Hey guys, should I buy a 740 as an engine donor for my 240?

Yeah. Buy these cool custom pistons for it too.

He probably meant to say that rebuilding a B23FT with performance and upgraded parts is more expensive than rebuilding a B230FT...

The pistons have been NLA forever, so you'd have to buy custom pistons.

John. Not every thread is a chance to sell some dude pistons.

Hey guys, should I buy a 740 as an engine donor for my 240?

Yeah. Buy these cool custom pistons for it too.

Pistons other than a few sizes are drying up faster than hell...

And those around are expensive..

It's clear this OP is not interested in a big build...but the claim the B23 is "way" more expensive is the ONLY thing I was questioning..

What's "way"?
(you don't have to be suspicious of every single post a person makes..The amount of bad info here, persistent myths etc is terrible)

Pistons other than a few sizes are drying up faster than hell...

And those around are expensive..

It's clear this OP is not interested in a big build...but the claim the B23 is "way" more expensive is the ONLY thing I was questioning..

What's "way"?
(you don't have to be suspicious of every single post a person makes..The amount of bad info here, persistent myths etc is terrible)

Posted over 2 years ago...guessing he might have solved this issue by now :)
I sent you an email....check it!

Back