• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Rear Jack Points

seanile

Hello! I have read and I have read, but everyone really only ever says to jack up the rear by the differential, and I know there must be somewhere to do it wheel-by-wheel.
I've figured out the front points, but please, tell me exactly where on the rear I can lift the car? (see my sig for exact model)
I plan on using jack stands so I can't be using the jack on the actual jack points because then I can't fit the jack stands...
So, as someone else had put it in their own thread about jacking up their car, talk to me like an idiot :-D

Volvo like many European cars is a Uni-Body design, careful not to ruin the under body like so many stupid grease monkeys do.

Do you have some specific reason not to use the pumpkin(diff) ?

Last edited:
I recently got the car, so largely im just trying to understand all of the options for lifting it before the imminent need arises, since the pumpkin wont always be the best option.
However i would like to get it on jack stands to assess the condition of the exhaust (it barfed out some baffling this week), and also to get at the brakes and the rear sunroof drainage hoses

What kind of jack are you using? The factory screw jack will only fit the 4 jack points on the sides. If you have a rolling floor jack or even a bottle or scissor jack, I suppose you could put it under the axle out near the wheel.

You can put jackstands on the rear jackpoints. They won't fit inside but they support the car just fine. There are thinner jackstands that fit into the jackpoint. The other place is behind the jackpoints there are body braces where you can also put a jackstand. Pickup the car by the differential and put it on the jackpoints or body bracing behind the jackpoint.

If pinch weld rocker area use a 6" 2x4 to displace the load so it wont bend the pinch weld area. It may push into the wood but thats ok. Otherwise its the diff. Or the hinge pin of the stock jack point. You could probably use the trailing arm also but have to watch the angle if it slips or not.

... The other place is behind the jackpoints there are body braces where you can also put a jackstand. Pickup the car by the differential and put it on the jackpoints or body bracing behind the jackpoint.

i think i found this area, but wasn't confident my jack would be out of the way enough to be able to put a stand in place. i'll look again. have any pictures? how close is it to the jack point?

What kind of jack are you using? The factory screw jack will only fit the 4 jack points on the sides. If you have a rolling floor jack or even a bottle or scissor jack, I suppose you could put it under the axle out near the wheel.

ive got a 2-ton roller, and two 2-ton jack stands. ive heard that jacking from the axle itself is a no-no, that not so?

greatly appreciate the responses everyone.

to be clear, the jack stands i have do fit into the jackpoints and are able to sit snugly under the pin. the issue is that i can't set the jack stands themselves up when using the jack there since the jack is in the way and there's not enough room in town for the both of them.

given the car is new to me, i'm in an information gathering phase and looking to understand all the viable points for lifting it that aren't the differential, especially any wheel-by-wheel means. those options seem to be,
1) still use the differential
2) rocker panel if the weight is dispersed via wood
3) body braces behind the jack points.
4) rear axle
5) trailing arm, beware angle changes/slipping

Last edited:
ive got a 2 ton roller that gets in the way of setting up the jack stands if im trying to place them near where im jacking (i.e. the rear jack points). ive heard that jacking from the axle itself is a no-no, that not so?

I've been working on 240s for 20 years, which in some ways makes me a newcomer, but in that time I've come to understand exactly what you're asking. You want to place the jackstands under the tire-change-jack points (as I would do) but then where do you put your floor jack?

I use the pumpkin, even though I know you don't want to lift the body by its suspension, it is the only way I do this. I can sneak my floor jack in from the side (it goes low enough) to leave space for a jack stand, if I don't want to lift the garage door to get the pumpkin directly from the rear, like there's 6" of snow out there. I haven't heard not to use the axle tube to jack by, but I suppose someone bent one once maybe?

Watch that you don't bend the loops the tire-change-jacks depend on. I found out the hard way on the road, and had to make an unplanned purchase of a cheap hydraulic floor jack.

In the front, I use the same technique always, under the crossmember.

You came here for help and you got it. Almost everyone here has had there car on 2 jack stands if not 4. Most will lift from the diff. in the rear and the cross member in the front. Jack stands placed at jacking points. I use a a 3 1/2 ton Craftsman jack to lift my cars.
Georgia%20coupe%20006_zpsiqbtfelj.jpg

Also I don't use the jack points and I also use 1/4 ply to keep the jacks from sinking into the blacktop.

You came here for help and you got it.
yep! absolutely right, thank you all for your help. as i said, was just getting my information straight so i could safely and adequately lift my 2 ton car and crawl under it ;-) didn't mean to be a hassle

Back