• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project BPU! DD 945 turbo

Basic performance upgrades.

I'm not 100% sure where it started, but it was/is a big buzzword in the supra world.. basically, it's all the common mods (in our case, the oft touted diatribe of 15g/intercooler/exhaust type of stuff) before you start building the engine. in the GM world, it'd be something like SBE. BPU sounds more import-y

It rolls off the tongue better than "kenny's random 18th volvo project tracker" or something like that lol (and the goals for the car are to keep it fairly modest, I have enough wild volvos as it is)

That's my vote, as it will be a never ending time suck and question in your mind as things go along.

That being said, most people won't be doing their own tuning, so it would be nice to see what LH can do on it's own after learning at some point once you get through some round of modifications...

yeah kinda what I'm thinking. I'll try and intersperse the normal LH stuff, it'll be easier when the car gets fully into the DD rotation

I'd turn lambda correction off, do a few pulls with a quick and dirty tune (with before and after graphed), and be done with it. No need to do anything ridiculous if it's getting MS.

back in the shop with fresh gas! gonna see what LH has learned over the past ~150 miles, and then probably play with boost controllers.

sneak peak: got all three boost controllers tested. there was a definite winner. Also, over 150 miles.. LH did not learn anything. (I know, spoiler alert)

Mmm, truck powerband. Interesting to see LH produce an almost proportional level of fuel with added boost. I'd be curious to see where it's tracing from on the main fuel map during a pull.

sneak peak: got all three boost controllers tested. there was a definite winner. Also, over 150 miles.. LH did not learn anything. (I know, spoiler alert)
Well, it wasn't breaking up over 5500rpm, or whatever was happening before. It goes into closed loop in much boost, so it can't really learn much up there unless you're driving it abnormally(high rpm, low/no boost). It can learn things at lower load, though. In my personal NA car's experience, I would need to drive it with the RPM really high (4-6000rpm) when just cruising at lighter loads to get it to see that it's too rich up there (even at light loads), then it would lean out the high rpm range at WOT as well. I picked up a couple HP over 5500rpm or so by doing this when it was only making 110hp or something. I don't know if the same will apply on a turbo car's tuning because I haven't studied their main fuel map, really.

Finally an answer to an age old inquiry
What inquiry is that?

Closed loop vs open loop is dictated by airflow though, and as such it's kinda hard to get it to high rpms without tripping that threshold (another reason I'm just going to start tooning the LH instead of relying on it's good graces).

I was a little surprised to see it still be plenty rich even at almost 20psi out the top, but I suspect a lot of this has to do with the poor state of the exhaust post-cat (the piping up to that point isn't bad really). I may slide up under there this evening before dinner and sneak a couple runs in just to see where it's at with open downpipe.. see what the boost does, that sort of thing. The 3 way boost controller test is uploaded, I need to go finish editing the tags and such before it auto-publishes.. but the cheapest one was the best one lol.
It knocked pretty good a couple times cranked up that high, so obviously one should not go full send, but it was interesting to see. Reckon I need to sort out what intercooler I want to run, the NPR I guess should be pretty high on the list since this car is set up with the old style intercooler/radiator/etc

Really enjoying this. Based on the findings so far and future LH/MS comparison, I have a feeling I'll be going to Microsquirt in the future on the dd.

video:
https://youtu.be/42-lMnOPP4Q

posted the graphs in showroom, the long and short of it is the peak numbers moved about as much as they did with open downpipe and stock boost (Which was also a bit of a surprise tbh). Carried it out the top a bit better, but not great. still mid 10's afrs.

boost did jump a couple psi on the hit, so for it to only go up the amount it did is likely more of a testament to the state of tune in the stock ecu(s). reckon that will be the next video, this is just... sad lol

That is indeed interesting that with the increased flow from double the boost, the open downpipe makes such a minor difference. So much for getting a ton of HP out of an exhaust.

Back