• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

iPd T cam slow off the line

Retarded.

FWIW, I've adjusted the gear 4 degrees in both directions with no real change in the huge hole in power below 3k.

How do we know this gent has his balancer reading true TDC for #1 ?

I run the IPD cam and with LH2.4 (spark timing proper) it pulls hard just as soon as the 19t spools, which is NOW. My cam is advanced 4* because shaved head (so probably actually straight up). I have a 4.10 final gear so I have 10% less speed in each gear than Gary listed. My cam was shimmed properly which required the full IPD shim rental kit to achieve. These aftermarket cams never adjust properly with factory shims.

I sense wrong spark and or cam timing. The IPD cam works, period.

What turbo do you have, is your kickdown adjusted right. There are so many variables here. Also if it's a stock frame turbo, be it 13c 15g or whatever just throw a stock t cam in it. The ipd cam is a waste of time with one of those tiny turbos

How do we know this gent has his balancer reading true TDC for #1 ?

I run the IPD cam and with LH2.4 (spark timing proper) it pulls hard just as soon as the 19t spools, which is NOW. My cam is advanced 4* because shaved head (so probably actually straight up). I have a 4.10 final gear so I have 10% less speed in each gear than Gary listed. My cam was shimmed properly which required the full IPD shim rental kit to achieve. These aftermarket cams never adjust properly with factory shims.

I sense wrong spark and or cam timing. The IPD cam works, period.

Base ignition advance isn't hardware adjustable. If the balancer slipped, it would be readily noticeable with a timing light, ASSU</a>MING the idle switch on the throttle body is functioning correctly.

OP, check your cam timing again. If you don't trust your balancer, check the mark at the back of the crank timing gear or check piston height with an extension.

My guess is that your cam timing is still a tooth off.

Harald...the question still hasn't been answered on what year the car is. 2.2 can adjust base timing. Given the 12* spec, I'm under the ASSumption this is an LH2.2 car.

OP...4* retarded will absolutely make it more of a dog out of the hole, should hit nice around 4k. For now run it around 4* advanced, works reasonably well with the auto trans. As mentioned, it won't have the torque the T cam had, but it shouldn't be a dog either.

Erik brings up a good point on making sure the kickdown cable is adjusted correctly as well. While that won't make your power out of the hole night and day better, it may help get the power to the ground.

I'm with Harald as well, check your cam timing against the washer under the timing cover, make sure it's all lined up right. Being a 740, if the cam timing is off, that also changes your spark timing, so every time you change your cam timing, you'll need to reset your ignition timing as well.

Nope. None of the 1989 US market Turbos are LH 2.4. Volvo went to LH 2.4 on the NA cars in 89, the turbo cars didn't get LH 2.4 in the US market cars until 1990. I don't know about other markets.

Ahhhh.

Yeah, OP, get your timing set and make sure your base idle position is set and that indicated TDC is in fact TDC!

Given the number of these threads of late (2 or 3, maybe 4) where there is a complaint of no low-end torque and a common denominator of a particular cam swap, perhaps we need to ask if there might be something wrong with the grind? I know that one thread in maintenance had issues prior to said cam swap, but who knows if the original concern was fixed and then the cam swap introduced new, similar symptoms?

This all just seems a strange coincidence to me.

Someone needs to send a new IPD turbo cam to you for measuring.

They may have the same duration and lift, but the path there may be entirely different.

I get cars all the time where there is NO PROBLEM. It could just be the cam reduced the low end more than you expected.

I have a 16T and IPD cam and the power comes on later, but much harder.

I know they said there's only one grind when I emailed IPD but I am still convinced that isn't true. Intentional, or as a consequence of a change in supplier/manufacturing techniques.

Based on what?

Very different measurements from the handful I've seen degreed out. Potentially made to loose tolerances as well but that seems less likely. As opposed to A, K, T, whatever which all seem very very consistent.

Edit: and a little less than 20 inches idle vacuum seems like the norm for that cam in a B230FT.

What turbo do you have, is your kickdown adjusted right. There are so many variables here. Also if it's a stock frame turbo, be it 13c 15g or whatever just throw a stock t cam in it. The ipd cam is a waste of time with one of those tiny turbos

Its a 12b, replaced the cable a few hundred miles ago. Afaik if it's adjusted incorrectly you'll either hang in gear or not get downshift when you stomp on it. I loosen it until I hear that "clunk" from the trans. The greenbook instructions make no sense. Can that effect power off the line?

Ahhhh.

Yeah, OP, get your timing set and make sure your base idle position is set and that indicated TDC is in fact TDC!

What do you mean by base idle position? The throttle switch sounds like it's adjusted properly but I'll probably take it all apart anyway to clean and re-adjust. Going to take the lower cover off this weekend and make sure that all the marks are lined up. Should have done that from the start.

Question: should the stop on the throttle spool touch the bracket at WOT? IIRC on my d24t it was supposed to be limited by the throttle linkage, not the physical stops.

Also, where are people getting new throttle cables? Mine has a fair amount of slack, but I can't find a new one anywhere. The car is an 89, I thought that would show up in my signature but I don't see it here.

Here is my 0-60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjCtKdaAFXQ

Also, this is not a new iPd cam. In fact, I don't have any proof its an ipd cam other than the guy I bought it from said it was. No reason not to believe him, he had a few built Volvos (including a sbf swapped amazon) and was Swedish. I don't believe it had any markings on it when I installed it.

Back