• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 1993 240 rear bumper compatible years?

drj434343

I'm looking for a replacement rear bumper for my 1993 240 wagon (non-classic).

Does anyone know what years will fit? I only know of the commando change in 83-ish. Are there differences in the later years plastic clad versions?

86-93 sedan or wagon works/same, trim is different sedan or wagon in the back.
83-85 toy bumpers work with appropriate 83-85 sedan or wagon trim (depending what it's being bolted to) & shocks, but everything's "bolt" (or clip in the case of the trim) on.

Rest of world 81+ got toy bumpers/what we'd call the '83-'85 bumpers.

The '83-'85 toy are a little "higher" and the cover goes "over" the lip in the body below the hatch where several layers of metal come together and is much tighter to the body with less room to compress (1" or less?). High & tight.

'86+ the shocks and aluminum are a bit sturdier, they stick out another 1.5" or so, and hang lower with more space to compress below the lip/shelf in the body with fatter trim to take up the difference/hide the gap.

Think just the plastic cover is the same '83+ USA regardless of longer shocks/thicker/stronger inner metal & different trim '86+.

You can buy the cover new for about $250? IIRC if you're picky about condition (though rumor has it they don't fit quite as well as the original molded plastic).
Just scrapped out all the extruded aluminum that goes behind the cover IIRC, not sure 100% though, might be one straggler.
Shocks should have.
How bad is yours?
Pushed in a little or really battle scarred or bent or what?

Last edited:
The covers are not the same. 83-85 covers are distinctly different from 86-93 covers. You have to see them side by side to detect the differences. Volvo superseded the the 83-85 covers with the 86-93 version. The 86-93 version now covers 83-93.

I actually just need the inner aluminum of the rear, so it sounds like 86+ is easiest unless I want to try for a full conversion. The studs pressed into the aluminum which then bolt to the pistons were rusted, and in my infinite wisdom I took an impact wrench to them. Blew the anchored stud right out of the aluminum and broke a big hole in it.

K-jets, you are close. If you have a spare bumper I can easily swing by with cash. I'm still on the lookout.

I actually just need the inner aluminum of the rear, so it sounds like 86+ is easiest unless I want to try for a full conversion. The studs pressed into the aluminum which then bolt to the pistons were rusted, and in my infinite wisdom I took an impact wrench to them. Blew the anchored stud right out of the aluminum and broke a big hole in it.

K-jets, you are close. If you have a spare bumper I can easily swing by with cash. I'm still on the lookout.

I have a bunch of them. It may not be too bad to ship you one through FedEx.

The '86-'93 rear was about the only bumper saved complete for some reason, all the marginal covers got chucked & aluminum recycled.

Shoot a message if you wish.

The 1973+ alum bumpers fall off the salt air/coastal cars/salted air+ salted road New England cars.
Most of the poor sods on the east coast have to get pretty creative...
-Larger holes/stepped studs
-Sacrificial zync paste
-wood instead of metal? (seen it :lol:).
-Stainless with appropriate paste?
-Under car deflector/actually preventing the spray from ending up there from both running down the tail gate and spraying up from under the car and being caught by the bumper like a big sail/umbrella.

Absent something to direct the spray from under the car the studs galvanically corrode the extruded alloy they're pressed into...just a big nasty condensation/salt air trap back there.

Even the V70s/super seam sealed/well galvanized 1991-1993 cars have corrosion/rust issues back there on the 240s in New England fog+ salted road brutality...the salt water literally just sits right on top of those studs and increases in salinity/never dries completely until it gets hot enough for the alloy to disappear around the nice hot stud pressed into it.

You couldn't design a better galvanic corrosion science experiment short of maybe adding electricity/ precisely temp / pressure controlling above & beyond existing environmental conditions? :e-shrug:

See what you mean about the cover, 2manyturbos...similar, but different.
The aluminum extrusion for USA/CDN '86+ & shocks are vastly different in strength & construction/basic appearance from '83-'85.

Last edited:
I have witnessed the bumper falling off. On a friends 90 244. The rowdy boys hanging out with a friends daughter jumped on the rear bumper and it ripped right off the car. My friend used racer tape and cable tied it and it has been that way for several years now.

Back