• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Stereo cabling opinions

BDKR

Section 9
I presently have a Pioneer head unit which is pretty nice, but it has no auxillary in or USB. That said, I recently got a DEH2000MP.

deh-2000mp.jpg

Cool because it has the aux input right on the unit face. :)

But yesterday I remembered that I would really like the ability to use USB devices as well so I ordered a
DEH-P6000UB.

img_1206447914.jpg

The fail part is that there is no aux input on the face. OTOH, it's nice to be able to bring portable drives or flash devices to the car and have the head unit work from there.

That said, what would you guys consider in terms of where to mount portable drives and where to route the USB cable that plugs into the back of the unit as well?

In my 964, I drilled a little hole in the glovebox (3mm), and I ran a male mini-jack connector from here to the back of my DEH-4000R unit.
My MP3 goes in the glovebox, I can't control it with the headunit (it's only an aux input), but my MP3 is hidden.

960pe8.jpg

To make a little hole, you have to cut your USB cable, and re-sold it after installation. If you drill a big hole, in order to route the USB cable by it, you might loose it on the dashboard...

(sorry for my bad english, I'm French)

In my 964, I drilled a little hole in the glovebox (3mm), and I ran a male mini-jack connector from here to the back of my DEH-4000R unit.
My MP3 goes in the glovebox, I can't control it with the headunit (it's only an aux input), but my MP3 is hidden.

960pe8.jpg

To make a little hole, you have to cut your USB cable, and re-sold it after installation. If you drill a big hole, in order to route the USB cable by it, you might loose it on the dashboard...

(sorry for my bad english, I'm French)

Your English isn't that bad at all. :)

It has an aux and usb on the back. I just ran my cables down the the cubbyhole that's right in front of the shifter.

That cubbyhole is where my stereo is. I have my guages in the top location.

get an adapter

i looked around and found a stereo install place that had these trick usb flush mount things. you just cut a rectangle hole anywhere and the plastic peices mount on either side trapping the cable..

You could also canibalize a computer case. How about making a usb port outa a blank switch spot on your dash..

That said, what would you guys consider in terms of where to mount portable drives and where to route the USB cable that plugs into the back of the unit as well?
Generally, I run these into the glovebox. Fully enclosed ones present something of a challenge, but it's still easy enough if you can take out the glovebox. I drill a hole in the top, toward the back, and run it in through there. The USB plug needs a smaller hole than the ipod cords that come on Sonys, which is nice. I like the idea of using a USB socket from a computer flush mounted somewhere, I hadn't thought of that.

The USB is nice since you can use flash drives on it. Found out a couple limitations, though. From what a customer told me, the unit can only recognize 500 folders. Also, the USB only provides 500mA of power, so you pretty much have to stick to flash drives. There's some MP3 players that it won't recognize as well, so you may want to check that out before you get it.

And, like Blotto said, there's a female aux input on the back of the radio as well, so you can run a cord out from there for another input.
If that deck has IP Bus then you can easily make an input and fit whatever jack you like. I added one to my older deck and it works great.

http://thinkcreatecomplete.blogspot.com/2005/04/diy-pioneer-aux-input.html
It has IP Bus, that's what the first P in the model number is for. I like that DIY input, pretty cool.

get some seat-belts and buckles that go to the side of the e-brake cover instead of in it. Then find the cubby hole for that. Thats what Im doing in my 81 242GLT. Then run the wires under the carpet and into that cubby hole. I'm also going to put a aux. port under the cover and put my cell phone car charger in there and just have the wire sticking out. Perfect spot for devices!

i looked around and found a stereo install place that had these trick usb flush mount things. you just cut a rectangle hole anywhere and the plastic peices mount on either side trapping the cable..

You could also canibalize a computer case. How about making a usb port outa a blank switch spot on your dash..

Nice!

If that deck has IP Bus then you can easily make an input and fit whatever jack you like. I added one to my older deck and it works great.

http://thinkcreatecomplete.blogspot.com/2005/04/diy-pioneer-aux-input.html

Unfortunately, it (the one in the car now) doesn't. Besides, I've already put out the cash.

Generally, I run these into the glovebox. Fully enclosed ones present something of a challenge, but it's still easy enough if you can take out the glovebox. I drill a hole in the top, toward the back, and run it in through there. The USB plug needs a smaller hole than the ipod cords that come on Sonys, which is nice. I like the idea of using a USB socket from a computer flush mounted somewhere, I hadn't thought of that.

The USB is nice since you can use flash drives on it. Found out a couple limitations, though. From what a customer told me, the unit can only recognize 500 folders. Also, the USB only provides 500mA of power, so you pretty much have to stick to flash drives. There's some MP3 players that it won't recognize as well, so you may want to check that out before you get it.

And, like Blotto said, there's a female aux input on the back of the radio as well, so you can run a cord out from there for another input.

Thanx for the input mang! My first idea was to do exactly as you were saying an come through the glove box for the USB port. I still want to run an aux port from a blank on the dash.

Good 411 about how much power is coming in via USB. I had my doubts that I would be able to run a portable drive on the power from the head unit alone.

Thanx again.

I run a 3.5mm cable to my phone from the back of my headunit. Just use a phone holder on a vent and plug it in. other than than, I would think that the glove box would be the best option.

Is there a limit to the size of usb drive supported? a 16gb drive is going to hold a lot of music.

Is there a limit to the size of usb drive supported? a 16gb drive is going to hold a lot of music.

For that particular radio, it's 256gb. The aforementioned customer has a 32gb drive, and he said it fits his entire collection, which I don't doubt. He also said with that much stuff on there, it's a little slow to navigate through, which I also don't doubt. He did say that he was happy with the sub box I made him, which was all I really cared about. :-P

search ebay for pioneer aux input there is a ton of stuff one there, maybe they will work for your deck, that is what I have hooked up to my 7300 or something like that.
ex http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-to-iPOD...ryZ60208QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

With the 6000, he doesn't need to buy any adapters. It already has them built in.

Forgot to mention that you can use and control an ipod directly through the USB cable with the regular docking cable the ipod comes with, so no need to buy an ipod adapter, either.

With the 6000, he doesn't need to buy any adapters. It already has them built in.

Forgot to mention that you can use and control an ipod directly through the USB cable with the regular docking cable the ipod comes with, so no need to buy an ipod adapter, either.

Yeah, all sweet stuff. I dont' plan on using an IPOD tho. I have a Phillips player much like this one.

phillips-sa6025.jpg

The DEH-P6000UB. is a good solid deck. I put one in my 91' 740 t and its great. Nice finish and looks clean and crisp. I have a old ipod so i haven't had a change to use the controls for it, so i use a small 1gig jump drive which holds 200 songs. And i drilled a hole and just ran the usb wire into my glove. The usb wire that comes with the head unit is very long so wherever you put it, you will be good.

Well, wel all pretty much know what's going on here right? When I started this trhed I was still waithing on the new unit to arrive. Today, UPS shows up and delivers a real kick in the A55!

AVH-P6000DVD.jpg

avhp6000dvd.jpg

avh_p6000dvdnew1_250_157.jpg

Yep! A DOUBLE FRACKEN DIN AVH-6000DVD!!!!!

WTF!!!!!!

1) A double din unit in a 240? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :raincloud:

2) It allready took two weeks to get here. I'm supposed to wait while these F-Tards fix this in a timely manner? I wanted the hawtness in for SE!

3) This is a 800 to 1K dollar unit. At least they didn't charge me for that.

I'm rather irritated actually. This screws up my schedule something fierce!

So now for a new question: Should I bother trying to have it installed? Should I just shoot myself?

Back